RELEASE SACD STUDIO ALBUM BOX SET PLEASE

Big Peak

Quote from bestbuy.com webpage:

"Direct Stream Digital is the secret ingredient

At the heart of SACD is the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) recording technique, which applies dramatic new levels of accuracy to digital recording. Originally created to digitally archive priceless analog master tapes, DSD uses 1-bit delta-sigma modulation and a sampling frequency 64x higher than CD. SACD also provides a frequency response of 100kHz and a dynamic range of 120dB across the audible range, leading to very accurate reproduction of original source material (CD is limited to 22.05kHz and a dynamic range of 96dB). The result is sound that is nearly free of distortion and signal noise, so you'll hear music that is remarkably faithful to the original performance."

================================================================

If band members, friends of the band or colleagues etc. see this post, please release SACD versions of all the studio albums - as a box set.

You can't just leave the high quality stuff locked away in a vault somewhere. If not just for me and a few others who would really appreciate it, it should be done for posterity.

Eventually the younger generation will begin to want hear high quality audio instead of the compressed crap they are happy to listen to at the moment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am sure in a fews years time once Page has done a solo album/ tour and maybe a few more gigs with Zep, then done his bio he will get around to doing just what you want !!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am sure in a fews years time once Page has done a solo album/ tour and maybe a few more gigs with Zep, then done his bio he will get around to doing just what you want !!

In that amount of time yet another format will appear claiming to be the perfect medium for audio. No doubt utlising the rare substance unobtanium it will offer the listener unparalleled sonic excellence..blah, blah, blah.......

Bring back vinyl for God's sake.....

Now if they did release the SACD that would make it one more compiliation/box set release than official studio release!

Talk about cannabalization and it is amazing that Mothership sold as well as it did!(I think about 2 million worldwide so far!)

1)Box Set 1

2)Box Set 2

3)Remasters(2CD and 3CD)

4)The complete Studio Recordings

5)Early Days

6)Latter Days

7)Early/Latter Days

8)MotherShip

9)SACD Complete Studio Recordings?

LOL!

Also:

"SACD contains over 7 times the data of CD, resulting in an amazingly realistic sound that blows conventional CDs away.

Hybrid SACD discs can be played on your current CD players with CD-quality stereo sound.

All SACD players can play conventional CDs and make them sound significantly better. Some SACD players also function as MP3 and DVD-Video players, eliminating the need for multiple components."

===============================================================

All I want is to be able to purchase Led Zeppelin recordings of a quality equal to their master tapes, preferably on a medium that is difficult to damage, easy to keep clean and fairly compact!

To the above list I could also add 10) Individual SACDs of the Studio Albums!

They did release some high quality vinyls a few years back, go that route if you aren't happy with CD's. New audio formats are market driven, not quality driven. You will never see a super high fidelity physical format in wide distribution. Ever. The best we can hope for is as storage mediums become cheaper and cheaper and technologies improve we will have a downloadable format that is super high quality. Eventually we'll get it, it will just take time.

Joelmon said:

"It IS too bad that the masses are accepting/embracing mp3 as the preferred format. 'Tis a sad thing, first time the standard for sound has gone down....that needs to be reversed !"

=========================================================

Incredible isn't it. How can we make mp3 users aware of what they are missing? Although you do need a good stereo as well. There's always second hand.

The technology is available to make it seem as if the band is in your lounge but Led Zeppelin are not using it, apart from one DVD-A.

Peter Gabriel (bass and drums sound quality is the ultimate IMO), Bowie, Stones etc. have done it, so come on Zep.

PJD said:

"The best we can hope for is as storage mediums become cheaper and cheaper and technologies improve we will have a downloadable format that is super high quality. Eventually we'll get it, it will just take time."

==============================================================

You are probably right. We'll have to download onto a media centre containing a hard disc. I would prefer something like a huge memory stick, with no moving parts to go wrong. I don't like the idea of it breaking or getting damaged and then having to download your whole collection from the internet again.

I'm not sure how much the old recordings would benefit in SACD (or DVD-A) other than remixing them for surround sound. The original master tapes probably are inferior to CDs as it is in most respects.

If you mean in terms of technology, absolutely not. The original master tapes are a mechanical reproduction of the sounds that happened. Current CD's are a series of samples of that sound and even at SACD levels will always be 'missing' information.

If you mean in terms of what is left of the master tapes, I would say there are probably a lot of problems with the masters due to degradation and aging.

OK then, if the condition and the sound quality of the masters for the earliest albums is not as good as the later ones (very likely judging by other SACDs that I own) lets prioritise:

Possible preferred order for SACD releases of individual studio albums:

1) In through The Out Door

2) Presence

3) Physical Graffiti

4) Houses of the Holy

5) 4

6) 3

7) 2

8) 1

I never was that keen on CODA

I think you would have to take it on a song by song basis since many songs on the same albums were recorded in different studios at different times, Presence being an obvious exception. But Physical Graffitti has all sorts of stuff on it.

I think you would have to take it on a song by song basis since many songs on the same albums were recorded in different studios at different times, Presence being an obvious exception. But Physical Graffitti has all sorts of stuff on it.

Interesting point.

So the people who are really understand sound quality and also know the condition of the master tapes (the band and their sound engineers) could decide which tracks would benefit from a release in SACD format.

You might only end up with say, a four SACD box set of selected tracks from Led Zep 4 to In through the Out Door just as an example.

I have an SACD of the Animals and I don't think it's worth having over an ordinary CD, although the "painfully sharp" sounding tracks are pre 1969.

I have bought every Led Zeppelin Album i own, Except one and it was the DTS version of LZIV. and after burning it and playing on my standalone Marantz SACD player. it was beautiful. I just finished an article in The rolling stone about this and it mentions how mothership sucks because of the sound. its really good read. http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/177...f_high_fidelity

I wouldn't buy them, that's for sure... I've already spent enough on all the studio albums on CD, some on vinyl and all the DVDs they've released (and still waiting for TSRTS collector's edition DVD set I paid for that hasn't come in yet...?) so I don't really think I need to give Led Zeppelin, Inc. any more of my money, that's for sure.

Besides... if you really there's a huge difference between SACD and standard CD *sonically*, you must be tweaking. If you listen to either with a decent stereo and speaker set-up, they'll sound pretty much identical, but the SACD might be louder... But then again, I've only heard Dylan SACDs and they sound pretty much the same as the standard CDs...

Anyway, I think they should re-release the whole collection on vinyl at the original prices as they were from 1968 to 1979, but with the advanced vinyl technology (is there such a thing?)... I'd buy at least five of each (except Presence and Coda, of course), and six ITTODs, that's for sure...

Dreams never really do come true, do they?

I have bought every Led Zeppelin Album i own, Except one and it was the DTS version of LZIV. and after burning it and playing on my standalone Marantz SACD player. it was beautiful. I just finished an article in The rolling stone about this and it mentions how mothership sucks because of the sound. its really good read. http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/177...f_high_fidelity

Thanks Pb for that excellent article, it's a really good explanation of the present situation regarding sound quality.

There are a few points I will comment on;

"Intensely compressed albums like Oasis' 1995 (What's the Story) Morning Glory? set a new bar for loudness; the songs were well-suited for bars, cars and other noisy environments."

The SACD of this album was given poor reviews for sound quality.

................................................................................

"MP3 reduces a CD audio file's size by as much as ninety percent,"

So a poor quality MP3 has one tenth of the file size of a CD track. SACDs contain 7 times the data of a normal CD. Therefore an SACD track could contain 70 times the data of a poor quality MP3!

................................................................................

"Hear It For Yourself

Here are three recent albums noted for their depth and dynamic range

GOOD

Modern Times, Bob Dylan [Listen]

Not Too Late, Norah Jones [Listen]

Raising Sand, Robert Plant/Alison Krauss [Listen]

On these albums, the music breathes: Check out the true-to-life sound of Dylan's "Thunder on the Mountain.""

Glad to see Raising Sand, Robert Plant/Alison Krauss rated as a good recording.

Hendrix made a relevant comment at the start of his IOW concert. Something along the lines of "lot's of bands are playing loud music, but we play loud music that feels good".

Besides... if you really there's a huge difference between SACD and standard CD *sonically*, you must be tweaking. If you listen to either with a decent stereo and speaker set-up, they'll sound pretty much identical, but the SACD might be louder... But then again, I've only heard Dylan SACDs and they sound pretty much the same as the standard CDs...

I don't believe in tweaking.

I have some early Dylan on standard CD and find the harmonica painful to listen to. The SACD reviews that I've read don't rate the early stuff very highly sonically, so I don't disagree with you. The same goes for sixties recording of The Stones. What release dates were the Dylan CDs that you were comparing?

Sonically, in my opinion, the best you can get is a 20% improvement over normal CD (it's hard to put a value on it). I've only compared Us and So by Peter Gabriel (which were two of the better produced CDs to start with IMO). To me, the slight improvement is worth it.

I wouldn't buy them, that's for sure... I've already spent enough on all the studio albums on CD, some on vinyl and all the DVDs they've released (and still waiting for TSRTS collector's edition DVD set I paid for that hasn't come in yet...?) so I don't really think I need to give Led Zeppelin, Inc. any more of my money, that's for sure.

Anyway, I think they should re-release the whole collection on vinyl at the original prices as they were from 1968 to 1979, but with the advanced vinyl technology (is there such a thing?)... I'd buy at least five of each (except Presence and Coda, of course), and six ITTODs, that's for sure...

Dreams never really do come true, do they?

Yep that why Led Zeppelin hasn't been in guitar hero. I wish they would though.

First You say you wont give anymore to Led Zeppelin, when it comes to SACD but youll rebuy the vinyls. i not trying to be a ass. Anyway i would also like them reissue the vinyls. I i saw some at a store, I dont believe they were the originals, and i gonna asume that the store had them pressed from the cd's because the LZIII had no wheel, PG had no Windows, ITTOD had no paperbag and was in shrinkwrap. They were selling for $15. This was 5 years ago, and i could never find somethere who knew anything about it. I know they wont be able to get the masters anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived