How The West Was Won Vs The Song Remains The Same OST

Al Rock Suth

How the West Was Won is MUCH better. I'd honestly rate Song Remains the Same at two and a half stars, and How the West Was Won at 4.5. The show for TSRTS is, well, boring. Dull. There is no energy behind it in a lot of parts. Jimmy is on, but Robert is pretty far gone. Just listen to Rock and Roll... where's the fire? Where's the punch? The same can be said about a lot of songs on that album.

How the West Was Won is MUCH better. I'd honestly rate Song Remains the Same at two and a half stars, and How the West Was Won at 4.5. The show for TSRTS is, well, boring. Dull. There is no energy behind it in a lot of parts. Jimmy is on, but Robert is pretty far gone. Just listen to Rock and Roll... where's the fire? Where's the punch? The same can be said about a lot of songs on that album.

I'd never say MUCH better, if fact I prefer 73......but I understand people's love for the fire of a 72 show. To me, in 72, Zep was still in a mentality of conquer by sheer stage prowess. Each member was in peak performance condition......but to my ears they sometimes went a bit over the top. In 73, they KNEW they had conquered and were now enjoying the spoils. They played the biggest venues of each market and the band played with a comfort which lent to the fluidity of the music. Each member, although not in 100% prime (especially Plant, who blew out his voice or had nodes on the vocal cords) ,seemed to take a baby step back for the good of each song. No one was stepping on anyone else's toes musically, and the band was performing the way I believe they invisioned the difinitive versions of those songs to be. It's the one year in live Zep where I can really close my eyes and focus on the beauty of the song instead of either picking out one members performance....or having it thrown in my face.

72 was like a top fuel dragster revving up and down, peaking at red line levels........73 was a Ferarri cruising at 120 mph on an open highway.

I'll take the Ferarri. ;)

and just for the ringer....the version of No Quarter from TSRTS, is BY FAR my favorite version and contains what I consider Page's most beautiful guitar work of his entire stage career.

I'd never say MUCH better, if fact I prefer 73......but I understand people's love for the fire of a 72 show. To me, in 72, Zep was still in a mentality of conquer by sheer stage prowess. Each member was in peak performance condition......but to my ears they sometimes went a bit over the top. In 73, they KNEW they had conquered and were now enjoying the spoils. They played the biggest venues of each market and the band played with a comfort which lent to the fluidity of the music. Each member, although not in 100% prime (especially Plant, who blew out his voice or had nodes on the vocal cords) ,seemed to take a baby step back for the good of each song. No one was stepping on anyone else's toes musically, and the band was performing the way I believe they invisioned the difinitive versions of those songs to be. It's the one year in live Zep where I can really close my eyes and focus on the beauty of the song instead of either picking out one members performance....or having it thrown in my face.

72 was like a top fuel dragster revving up and down, peaking at red line levels........73 was a Ferarri cruising at 120 mph on an open highway.

and just for the ringer....the version of No Quarter from TSRTS, is BY FAR my favorite version and contains what I consider Page's most beautiful guitar work of his entire stage career.

Well, I suppose I'm just a fan of excess, then. Although I agree with you on No Quarter. Shame it got truncated on the new version.

The bootlegs of the HTWWW & TSRTS show that Page has COOKED the official versions.As the Garden tapes guy has documented.For me i don't mind this as the superb production shows Page wanted to capture Zepp live at their very best.I would like to hear comments from other forum users on whether they feel Cheated or Elated this was the outcome

TSRS has got me mad over the horrible edit particularly on Whole Lotta Love...its a shame ..Page please fix it it now.

TSRTS

This was the very first record album I ever purchased along with the Dead's Europe '72. My brother had just given me his old record player, and I had some birthday cash so I ran down to the record store. I played it over and over again. When I could finally afford it, I bought LZ I, II, III, and IV. And they seemed strange, not as good as TSRTS. Why was Robert singing so high? At the time I didn't like it.

I've always loved his voice in TSRTS. I consider that his finest moment. He's singing lower, but he has an awesome voice in that range. In HTWWW, he's just a little too energetic, while in TSRTS he's more artistic, yet still very raw.

Maybe when I was a kid, if I had bought the albums in the correct order, I'd feel differently.

In OTHAFA, he sings lower from 73-79, which is fine by me, except I always wondered why he switched the emphasis from the word "Many" to "Times". Even in the lower key, the song would have sounded better if he had stressed the word "Many" rather than "times". I find it anti-climatic that "Many" is not the emphasized word.

just my 2 cents, but I am in the crowd who is partial to TSRTS. I don't get it when people are of the opinion HTWWW is better. I don't even thinks it's close, whether or not pagey has worked his magic. I do respect the other opinion of those who prefer HTWWW, I'm not sold. Someone mentioned made in japan. if they are referring to a bootleg, i don't know, but if you mean Deep Purple, I believe it to be one of the greatest live recordings ever made. I am enjoying the new TSRTS & am anxious for the vinyl to come out on 3/18/08.

I've always loved his voice in TSRTS. I consider that his finest moment. He's singing lower, but he has an awesome voice in that range. In HTWWW, he's just a little too energetic, while in TSRTS he's more artistic, yet still very raw.

To me, he doesn't so much as sing as do some kind of spoken word (yes at a lower pitch) on much of TSRTS. I found it annoying at first, but luckily this wore off. Indeed, his leg of the Led Zep table was certainly weak here, but the other three were so strong that the show remains enjoyable. (Pun not intended)

For that reason, HTWWW is my preferred album.

Just to be sure, i went back tonight & listened to HTWWW trying to be objective & I have reaffirmed my original belief TSRTS blows it away. In fact, HTWWW is a disappointment. There was the Hype before it came out & I rushed to buy it just like when I did or PG, Presence, & ITTO. I listened with a WTF frown. This is how they won the west??? I'm thinking thank God this wasn't released instead of TSRTS. The first Cd is uneven & the fast numbers seem as if they almost too fast, as if the Zep is being chased down a narrow bridge by the anticipation of their excited fans. The only track I think sounds above average is Over the Hills. The acoustic numbers are great as well. CD #2 just doesn't match up as far as Dazed & Stairway go. TSRTS is so much more polished, ass kicking. Whole lotta Love doesn't work as well as TSRTS on Disc #3. The other new cuts such as Dancing Days & the Ocean are not captivating, just ok. Bring it on Home does work well. I feel like a loyal fan when i listen to HTWWW, not blown away over & over again like TSRTS. To those of you feel I'm full of BS or just plain blasphemy, oh well. TSRTS captures ZEP @ the pinnacle of their live performance. They may had many other great performance after 73, but it that year they solidified their status as the ultimate rock gods laying waste to America, breaking attendance records, exuding all the good & bad of rock n' roll excess. There is no way you can tell me SIBLY is not better on TSRTS. I also feel TSRTS. For the record, I'm also disappointed in CODA. I can't even listen to it. The lone disappoint so far in the new TSRTS is the loss of Page's brilliant solo in No Quarter. Above all else, Zep was the best & TSRTS is best representation of this fact when it comes to officially released soundtracks.

I'd rate it better than that but I tend to agree that the MSG 73 concerts were lacking in energy compaired to the very best shows(LA, Detroit, Seattle) from that tour. There are some of Page's best ever solo's(STH, NQ, DAC) but overall I get the impression they were feeling the lenght of the tour a bit.

Personally I'd say...

HTWWW > BBC > TSRTS

A shame really that the BBC 71 concert wasnt up to there typical standards and was so badly recorded(don't think I'v ever heard Zep sound so wimpy) or that release could certainly have been the best live Zep.

TSRTS holds a special place in my heart as a huge Zeppelin fan. I remember when the album came out, and I drove my family (especially my Mother) nuts listening to it. My Mother would refer to Plant as that "screaming eagle", and between Plant and Steve Marriot constantly blaring from my room, I'm sure she was driven slightly mad by it. (Love you Mom!!!) I also cannot forget the time one of my sisters sit my copy of TSRTS, (along with several other LP's) in the floor by the heat vents, and warped them. I went beserk. lol Ah good times.......

That being said, I love HTWWW, but 1973 for me was my favorite for live Zep recordings. Page's tone was dirtier and meaner, as his playing. The bands improv's were amazing. WLL and D&C were the best. But that's just me. Overall I love it all. Here's to Live Zep in 2007/2008!!!

t TSRTS's stunning version of No Quarter is quite simply the best thing LZ have (officially) released IMO.

completely agree. while some of the cuts are very frustrating on the remastered TSRTS, the quality is superior to the old. it definitely has the edge over how the west was won as far as pure energy, especially on dazed and confused.

t TSRTS's stunning version of No Quarter is quite simply the best thing LZ have (officially) released IMO.

completely agree. while some of the cuts are very frustrating on the remastered TSRTS, the quality is superior to the old. it definitely has the edge over how the west was won as far as pure energy, especially on dazed and confused.

Personally I'd take exactly the opposite view, 72 for me is maybe the year when they played most "as a band" where as 73 marks the increase in instrumental showcases started to come to the fore again.

By 72 I think the rest of the band(well Plant and Bonzo) had exstablished themselves to the level were people were not mainly coming to see Page play and the general jamming climate of the late 60's had declined a bit. As you say by 73 though the band band truely established themselves as masters of the universe so could afford to be a bit more excessive.

Thats not putting down 73 as personally I think Zep were at there best with a bit more instrumental showcase and jamming. Overall I preffer it to 72 which outside of a few shows does sound a bit bland to me compaired to the years either side of it. The difference IMHO is that HTWWW caught 72 Zep at near their peak and presented it better, if TSRTS had say been recorded in Detroit, Seattle or LA it maybe have outclassed it for me.

Give me RAH over both of these. Any day. All day. And twice on Sunday.

Then, if I must choose between the two chop jobs, HTWWW by a landslide over TSRTS from a performance standpoint (though TSRTS has its nostalgic place).

Edited by solar

Someone at a used sterio shop (this guy saw Zepp at Frankfurt in 70 and Rochester NY around 69 or 70-only time they were ever here) showed me a copy of BBC sessions. I cant remember if I had this or How the West Was Won. Is the live version of Heartbreaker on both? does anyone know? If yes, is it the same one? If no which is better?