Pages greatest riff

zep41:

I've always thought that the first 19 seconds of Tea For One was the most original intro to a slow blues I've ever heard. It totally belies what's to follow.

RB

I'll agree with you completely -- but I even believe it may be the best first 19 seconds of any song in the history of rock and roll! (i know this is just opinon, but I think its THAT good)

It has to be Whole Lotta Love. There may have been tremors before, but that one riff is ground zero for hard rock, heavy metal, funk metal. It all started there.

To add a personal favorite I haven't seen mentioned yet- the Immigrant Song!

It has to be Whole Lotta Love. There may have been tremors before, but that one riff is ground zero for hard rock, heavy metal, funk metal. It all started there.

So simple and effective isn't it? And WLL, same thing. Octave-based both, but have that magic to them.

A slightly more complicated fave of mine is The Rover (which I love to play on guitar myself). B)

I would say Heartbreaker, The Ocean or Whole lotta love.

hi new member joined today,love the site and of coarse led zepp..my all time page riff has to be the opening to achilles last stand it makes me shiver everytime i hear it... :D:D:D

There are just too many fantastic riffs to choose from.. However, musically speaking, I think that Dancing Days is one of Page's greatest accomplishments. I don't anyone had ever attempted to integrate that type of dissonance and eastern tonality into a rock song previously - certainly many other rock bands played around with ragas, exotic instruments and exotics scales but Page synthesized it in a much more subtle and organic way, not solely as an exercise in "style" but as integral to the composition (The aforementioned "Friends" is also a good example of this) It sounds effortless and the connections that he drew between the blues and trance music were somewhat unprecedented. The W. Burroughs / Page interview from the early 70s delves into this a bit..

No other guitarist has even near as many great riffs as Page, not even the great Alex Lifeson from Rush, who is 2nd to Page only IMO, Lifeson himself said Page is still his #1 idol. High words from one of the best in the biz. Jeff Beck himself said Page is "the ambassador of riffs" and is "downright scary" on acoustic guitar and his knowledge and execution of alternate tunings and use of original scales and figures is ridiculous. Beck gave him a standing ovation at classic rock awards 2 months back. Page's close friend Les Paul himself says "I'm not even close to that guy". Steve Howe cites Page as his favorite too, he says Page did "all kinds of wonderful acoustic stuff, it would be silly to even think anybody could touch him during his mega-creative heyday period with Zeppelin, he has such creativity and range". Blackmore says "he has great range". Page was the most consistently great songwriter in rock, one song was better than the last, yet totally different. He left everyone else in the dust. Plus there's the unquantifiable "cool" factor which we all know Page is the king of cool with his outfits and stage showmanship. Even at the O2 reunion, his "cool" is still fully intact. You're born with that, you can't learn it. He knows how to change with age while still keeping that core essence that makes him Jimmy Page. You see most other bands and "greats" and they have all the stage charisma of a wet, mildew-stricken bologny sandwich next to JP.

Tut Tut not reading the threads :rolleyes::)

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...ost&p=81205

Because I believe Pagey to best the best orchestrater of the guitar in the world I'll stick with his first lick to and through he plays his last. All of it is simply magic and believe me with first hand knowledge I do know it to be true.

Peace and Love in All Ways

Franco

As much as it may not be my favorite Zepppelin song,,,and I mentioned Heartbreaker earlier,,,,, Whole Lotta Love has got t o be his best RIFF. If you listen to any live version , I haven't heard him play it exactly the same twice.... It's a credit to Page....even if the riff itself is not that difficult.

Jimmy is the greatest originator of unforgettable riffs of all time. Listing favorites is very hard, but I'll have a go:

1. Heartbreaker: The ultimate. When I hear those awesome notes, I can easily imagine a Balrog stomping forth from the depths, or Sauron marching out to smash enemy hordes with his mace. :duel:

2. Achilles Last Stand: Utterly majestic, and my favorite Zep tune overall.

3. Immigrant Song: Thunderous, blood-stirring power. Makes me wanna drive my ships to new lands.

4. Communication Breakdown: Duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-DUH! DUH! DUH!

5. Out on the Tiles

6. Bring it on Home

7. Black Dog

8. Battle of Evermore

9. When the Levee Breaks

10. Houses of the Holy

Then of course there's all his deathless acoustic stuff: Bron Y Aur, the intro to Over the Hills and Far Away, on & on & on....

Archived