Colorization : First concert "New Yardbirds"

Klape

Hi,

I've been doing colorization on old pictures as part of my work as a photographer, for my clients, and wanted to give back a bit to the community.

Here's the first performance of Led Zeppelin as the New yardbirds colorized. I tried to be as close to the reality as possible (I've check for the color of Jimmy's strap, the drum kit ..)

Hope you like it !

LZ.jpg.638af628e7345702d62743529b9badf5.jpg

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

That Slingerland drum kit was blue.

Oh really ? Apparently it was grey .. If any of you have some others input, such as the color of the background, or Robert's shirt

edit : actually it might have been green or blue .

LZ.jpg.e453976594b50edb8c461c2f76ebb501.jpg

Edited by Klape
Drumkit was grey, not blue.

On 5/7/2023 at 10:05 AM, JMH said:

I am more concerned about JPJ having tits :D

A strange delusion in the pic.

(cheers for the coloring work)

Yeah man, the color is awesome! But it does look like JPJ had a C cup on the right hand side for sure. But, the colors are cool as it gets. 

On 5/7/2023 at 8:15 AM, Klape said:

Hi,

I've been doing colorization on old pictures as part of my work as a photographer, for my clients, and wanted to give back a bit to the community.

Here's the first performance of Led Zeppelin as the New yardbirds colorized. I tried to be as close to the reality as possible (I've check for the color of Jimmy's strap, the drum kit ..)

Hope you like it !

LZ.jpg.638af628e7345702d62743529b9badf5.jpg

That’s looks awesome man. JPJ tits and all. Just kidding with you, the colors are brilliant! Great job. I wonder why it looks like he has a set of tits though. The shirt was bunched up I suppose. Again, amazing contribution my friend. 

On 5/10/2023 at 4:56 PM, custard pie man said:

Jones may have been  50 years ahead of his time lol

Hahahaha! Yes sir he may have been. We do know that they did like to hang out with a certain group of people, specifically when they were in New Orleans.  Have a great night! 

On 5/9/2023 at 12:26 AM, Ian Smith said:

I have no idea how you go about doing something like that but I sure love it. Many thanks for the post. 

Thanks everybody,

It takes time, you go element by element, work on each colors for each element and you really need to pay attention to the light so that the colors/atmosphere of the whole scene make sense.

And yes, that's a big fold on JPJ shirt !

Edited by Klape

• 2 weeks later...

There must be a way to match up a color image of the dragon Telecaster and superimpose it on to a black and white shot, to get perfect color match. Like with Danish TV using some of the color pics that exist and matching it up, even on the video. 

3 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

There must be a way to match up a color image of the dragon Telecaster and superimpose it on to a black and white shot, to get perfect color match. Like with Danish TV using some of the color pics that exist and matching it up, even on the video. 

Yes for sure, it's pretty easy to do actually on a single shot. You can barely see the front of the telecaster here, so I didn't bother doing that

• 2 weeks later...