Robert Plant thinks the concert is going to be dreadful?

Yup. Understand fully, now. I thought the "notes" that everyone said Robert cannot hit anymore were notes that his voice could not hit--in any vicinity.

I've got quite the musical background--I get the whole circle of fifths thing. ;)

It's more like, in the same key he can substitute harmonies, like he did in "Rock and Roll" in TSRTS and make it work, but if the key is lowered he can sing the same line as th the original recording. In the key of A major he sings a harmony part that is a fourth lower to catch something that sounds good and everyone notices. If he lower the key to F#, achieving the same thing but singing the original line it sounds closer to the album it's better on the ears. Most musicians would notice.

In a very general nutshell, there it is.

I'd like you to state your source to that quote the RP evidently said that the concert was going to dreadful.

Could it be that he is nervous? Could it be taken out of context? Could it have been something RP is pretty well known for doing all the time-Inserting foot into mouth? Could it be that he never said it at all?

Anyway, peoples voices change as they get older. That's something that's unavoidable.

I seen RP perform solo and with JP in the late 90's and even though he can't sing as high as he used to, he sounds amazing! He still has great range and perfect pitch, and he is an awesome front man.

As already stated, new instruments are being made (probably already have been) to accommodate RP's voice. I read an article about the guy who is making the instruments. Wish I could find that link now. If I go looking for it and find it, I will post it.

As far as the quality of the concert,the band has been practicing like crazy. They obviously want to please and want to sound good. This isn't a last minute decision.

I worry for them though, especially JP. The pressure must be crazy insane!

JP seems especially shy in front of camera's. I want the concert to be filmed, but then again, I worry that will throw off his mojo. :(

It's maddening really! I want to be there in the wost possible way. It's not fair!

YOU HEAR THAT LED ZEPPELIN?

IT'S NOT FAIR!

YOU SHOULD TOUR! :P

I'd like you to state your source to that quote the RP evidently said that the concert was going to dreadful.

Could it be that he is nervous? Could it be taken out of context? Could it have been something RP is pretty well known for doing all the time-Inserting foot into mouth? Could it be that he never said it at all?

Anyway, peoples voices change as they get older. That's something that's unavoidable.

I seen RP perform solo and with JP in the late 90's and even though he can't sing as high as he used to, he sounds amazing! He still has great range and perfect pitch, and he is an awesome front man.

As already stated, new instruments are being made (probably already have been) to accommodate RP's voice. I read an article about the guy who is making the instruments. Wish I could find that link now. If I go looking for it and find it, I will post it.

As far as the quality of the concert,the band has been practicing like crazy. They obviously want to please and want to sound good. This isn't a last minute decision.

I worry for them though, especially JP. The pressure must be crazy insane!

JP seems especially shy in front of camera's. I want the concert to be filmed, but then again, I worry that will throw off his mojo. :(

It's maddening really! I want to be there in the wost possible way. It's not fair!

YOU HEAR THAT LED ZEPPELIN?

IT'S NOT FAIR!

YOU SHOULD TOUR! :P

Ahhhh.... the voice of reason! What took you so long to show up?

Led Zeppelin songs are a different beast. They should be sung only a certain way - the old LedZep way. Robert Plant had set the the standards for singing LedZepp songs.

In fact Robert said many times to leave it alone.

Are the tracks from ITTOD sung in that certain "old LedZep way"

Just wondering, as there's not a whole lot of screaming, and moaning going on.....

Think I'm going to trust that Robert the standard setter will be up for performing his own songs come Dec. 10th.

At the 90's, Plant sounds even better than let's say, between 73-80. I find it amazing that he could beat the Knebworth's performance at No Quarter's DVD.

And as said here before, nowdays he DOES sing better. AND he is still a fucking lion on a stage. Mighty Rearranger and the '06 Soundstage performance cannot lie.

I am sad that i did not get the tickets to the O2 show. :( I can only pray that they will tape.

We all speak English here right?

I did NOT SAY Robert Plant 'SAID' the concert is going to dreadful.

I SAID - He THINKS the concert is going to be dreadful.

Robert Plant - about doing Led Zeppelin all over again

http://www.abc.net.au/dig/stories/s2022118.htm

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...reunion-rumors/

Meeting Elvis Presley

ROBERT PLANT IS MOVING ON

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8AGnSo_ZzSw

I don't blame Plant if he is not keen into getting LEDZEP back again. He has that prerogative to think that way. The old LEDZEP days had bad memories. Remember the accident in Greece, his son's death, Bonham's death.

Let the man move on. He's doing much better right now with his rockabilly-bluegras blues.

If fans are really want LEDZEP to live forever, they should create their own band and be LED ZEPPELIN II

Elvis still lives on because there are a lot of Elvis impersonators around town.

We all speak English here right?

I did NOT SAY Robert Plant 'SAID' the concert is going to dreadful.

I SAID - He THINKS the concert is going to be dreadful.

Robert Plant - about doing Led Zeppelin all over again

http://www.abc.net.au/dig/stories/s2022118.htm

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...reunion-rumors/

Meeting Elvis Presley

ROBERT PLANT IS MOVING ON

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8AGnSo_ZzSw

I don't blame Plant if he is not keen into getting LEDZEP back again. He has that prerogative to think that way. The old LEDZEP days had bad memories. Remember the accident in Greece, his son's death, Bonham's death.

Let the man move on. He's doing much better right now with his rockabilly-bluegras blues.

If fans are really want LEDZEP to live forever, they should create their own band and be LED ZEPPELIN II

Elvis still lives on because there are a lot of Elvis impersonators around town.

These are mostly old clips from SxSW a few years ago. Not really relevant to the current state of mind. I for one love all of Robert's work in Zep and out. It will be fab to see him play with Zep, but I hope we still get to see him with S&S again, and I very much look forward to the Krauss tour. I don't think one has to leave the past behind to move forward.

Ummm.... Ok.... that's probably the nice thing to say, but Robert would probably even tell you different. He still sings great. I'll give you that, but Robert in 1970 was GOD LIKE! Please forgive my disagreement with you, it's not meant to be argumentative, but rather a little bit more realistic.

My point is that the screams and high notes were part of Led Zeppelin and their popularity in the 70's. Robert fights with that reality and hates the comparison, but we all get old, don't we?

He still sounds great and the exaggerated flattery is unnecessary. It will be a great show!

YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT MY FRIEND. YOU ARE A REALIST.

The realists around here are the ones saying Robert DOESN'T think this show will be dreadful. The ones who understand that he wouldn't be going within a hundred miles of it if he thought ANYTHING like that.

Michelle, you are perfectly entitled to your opinions on Robert's voice over the years, as are all the people who post here. What you CAN'T do and expect to get away with it is put words into Robert's mouth. That's not right and not fair, and people will call you out on it time and time again.

Robert's voice is wonderful; everything should be fine. I am concerned about his attitude; maybe I should give him a good talking-to before the performance to get him straightened out. ;)

LOL Now that's funny. That's really cute. Please do tell me afterwards what you've talked about. I won't tell anyone. Please tell him that my daughter and I luv him.

First post here. Hello!

Robert's never really stopped gigging since he left Page in '98. Unless he gets the flu, he'll be alright. Just don't expect him to sound like he did on "How The West Was Won."

That high, keening wail Plant used to have has been gone for about 35 years. He's figured out how to get along without it. He's a better singer in many ways, but don't be surprised if some of the songs performed at the O2 gig are transposed to a lower key, even if it's just a half-step lower than the album versions. Robert will be 60 next year, after all.

As far as Page's playing goes, he's basically been retired since 2000, he's coming off a freshly broken left pinky, and he's never been very good at these high-profile, one-off reunions. Live Aid, Atlantic '88, Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame were all awful, and he was the main reason they were awful. Maybe he'll be so fired up that any nerves will just go away and he'll kick ass. I hope so. We'll see...

First post here. Hello!

Robert's never really stopped gigging since he left Page in '98. Unless he gets the flu, he'll be alright. Just don't expect him to sound like he did on "How The West Was Won."

That high, keening wail Plant used to have has been gone for about 35 years. He's figured out how to get along without it. He's a better singer in many ways, but don't be surprised if some of the songs performed at the O2 gig are transposed to a lower key, even if it's just a half-step lower than the album versions. Robert will be 60 next year, after all.

As far as Page's playing goes, he's basically been retired since 2000, he's coming off a freshly broken left pinky, and he's never been very good at these high-profile, one-off reunions. Live Aid, Atlantic '88, Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame were all awful, and he was the main reason they were awful. Maybe he'll be so fired up that any nerves will just go away and he'll kick ass. I hope so. We'll see...

You're absolutely right. I pray for the concert's success.

Actually, it wasn't the high notes that kept them from doing that middle section of Bo Rhap live. It was the fact that there were too many vocal parts to try to replicate live on stage among the three of them who sang. Roger Taylor did the extremely high notes on the record, and I doubt it would have been difficult for him to hit those notes live.

And why or when did Robert say the show was going to be dreadful? I think he'll probably do just fine. :D

You're right about the Bohemian Rhapsody section. Do you think Queen's "Innuendo" is almost the same as LZ's "Kashmir"?

Are the tracks from ITTOD sung in that certain "old LedZep way"

Just wondering, as there's not a whole lot of screaming, and moaning going on.....

This is an excellent point though I think it may have gone over Michelle's head... Sorry, Michelle, no disrespect intended, I just haven't seen you reply to this.

At Live Aid, Page's guitar was out of tune and he was drunk out of his mind. At Atlantic Records, they all came on six hours late and were jet lagged, and Page's tone wasn't so great (no sustain or reverb at all). He didn't sound bad at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in my opinion. But I'm sure this reunion will be a much better situation for Page. Just as long as he stays away from the liquor and his guitar is in tune.

I'll drink to that...

Rolls>>> :wacko:

Robert moved on 27 years ago. He's coming back for one night, because he wants to, and I'm sure it'll be wonderful.

These are mostly old clips from SxSW a few years ago. Not really relevant to the current state of mind. I for one love all of Robert's work in Zep and out. It will be fab to see him play with Zep, but I hope we still get to see him with S&S again, and I very much look forward to the Krauss tour. I don't think one has to leave the past behind to move forward.

I love how you put that "You dont have to leave the past behind to move forward." Believe it or not, many think the opposite.

Rolls>>> :wacko:

Maybe you should ignore it if you think it's a waste of time.

I find the Robert Plant, Early days/ Latter days issue fascinating.

Your avatar, however, is disturbing. Just sayin' (and you're a guy?)

The early/latter days debate rages on always, and will till he finally stops performing. What I don't like is the initial unsubstantiated premise that he thinks the concert will be dreadful. In fact, he used the words "Wonderful" and "Stupendous" to described rehearsals and his own expectations for the concert. Ill worded premise leads to illogical conclusions and assumptions.

Lol..My avatar. Ha. If you think thats disturbing, then the animated gif version that I loaded would have really bothered you. Looks like the new forum doesn't support animated gifs in the avatar section. Michael Knight comin atcha:

hasselhoff.gif

Thanks for the reply. My apologies. I guess since I'm new, and you guys are old Zep fans, that I obviously don't know what I'm posting about. I can accept that. How stupid of me to argue with true Led Zeppelin fans! I won't attempt that again! :unsure: Of course Robert is better now than he was in the early 70's! I am such a dimwit! Forgive me. :rolleyes:

I know that this sounds (or appears to be) sarcastic, but I just am trying to get a point across. In the 70's Robert could do anything he wanted to with his voice. He has many limitations now. In the 70's Robert had few, if any peers that could perform at his level, he was a phenomenon.

That said:

I have seen Robert perform 4 times over the last 12 years (once a little over a year ago) and he still sounds great.

I hope that you all, and Robert, enjoy the show! I admire your loyalty! :D

This response is slightly dramatic, no? I was only saying that Aqua's opinions on Robert's voice are genuine. She wasn't just saying what she thought others would want to hear. She believes that he does sound great -- what she said wasn't exaggerated flattery.

I wasn't criticizing you - I was defending her opinion.

To Roberts odd fan base (small but it does exist) that would like Led Zeppelin to have never existed, I say this....Have you seen Robert live? Do you find it strange that more the 70% of his show consists of Led Zeppelin songs? Certainly he has enough good solo material available so he would not have to sing a single Zeppelin song again right? No one has to put a word into Roberts mouth on this subject. If you are a true fan of his you will have to at some point comes to grips that he is the voice of Led Zeppelin, and will forever be. The best part is, from a fans stand point, he loves it.

For those of you with concerns of Jimmy's ability, You are in for a pleasant surprise.

Page/Plant shows were mind shattering at times.

If you only caught Unledded, shame on you. Jimmy was brilliant during this time. He was scary good.

(As was Robert) I could play you solo work for the last run together, and you could not tell, if it was 73, or 98.

Archived