American Idol

Kissandra

As I'm sure at least some of you know, the show's seventh season begins this Tuesday. I just read a piece someone in my city wrote for a local magazine asking how pop-stars of today would fare on the show, which is something I've thought about myself. The "results" were classic. I'll post scans or type it out later :)

I hate television for the most part and I dislike American Idol immensely. Worthless TV

I turnned on the television three time in the past four months. The first time LZ live on vh1, the second Roy Orbison Black and White Night on PBS and today NFL playoffs. I hate the TV. When my girlfriend comes home tonight she'll put it on and I put on my headphones and block out the SH_T.

I turnned on the television three time in the past four months. The first time LZ live on vh1, the second Roy Orbison Black and White Night on PBS and today NFL playoffs. I hate the TV. When my girlfriend comes home tonight she'll put it on and I put on my headphones and block out the SH_T.

I live in Jersey, too.

Clive Davis' record label is dropping all of the past Idol winners who aren't making any money:

Ruben Studdard

Taylor Hicks

Katherine McPhee.

I hate television for the most part and I dislike American Idol immensely. Worthless TV

Well I just think that's funny. Especially Hicks, that guy was obviously like a fad or whatever and I couldn't believe he'd even made it into the competition. Then again I've thought that about most of the contestants in the past...and by most I mean 98%. Katharine McPhee was the runner-up to Taylor Hicks, not a winner. I love the show myself. I think that's mostly because I'm a singer and love to critique things I enjoy.

I always prefer the auditions than the finals! :)

It's entertaining to see some people try and sing.

Although I mean no disrespect to them, they always put a smile across my face.

Once it gets to the point where everyone is good, there isn't as much fun as it was at the beginning!.

Yeah, as I've said before even the finalists are usually brutal from my perspective.

Anyway, here's that piece I was talking about earlier. As I said, the results were the best part. I'll post the scans in links to keep this as one post and short.

"'Idol' Worthy?" by Troy L. Smith

The contestants and their "statistics":

Justin Timberlake, Amy Winehouse

Ne-Yo, Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera, T-Pain

Taylor Swift, Chad Kroeger

Adam Levine, Rihanna

John Mayer, Ashlee Simpson

The Results:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 8

Week 9

Week 10

Week 11: the finale

I always prefer the auditions than the finals! :)

It's entertaining to see some people try and sing.

Although I mean no disrespect to them, they always put a smile across my face.

Once it gets to the point where everyone is good, there isn't as much fun as it was at the beginning!.

I simply can't watch that stuff. Is there a special term for feeling deeply embarrassed on behalf of others (who usually don't feel embarrassed themselves)?

There ought to be one! :unsure:

I have to say the show is a guilty pleasure for my wife and I. Watching the horrible singers audition is like watching a train wreck. And I do think the show has helped some genuinely talented people get discovered. Some people get that initial boost from being on the show, but don't last out there in the real world because they don't have enough talent to carry them through. Kelly Clarkson and Chris Daughtry are examples of people who've used the show to springboard them to huge success, and have remained successful because they are genuinely talented.

I have to say the show is a guilty pleasure for my wife and I. Watching the horrible singers audition is like watching a train wreck. And I do think the show has helped some genuinely talented people get discovered. Some people get that initial boost from being on the show, but don't last out there in the real world because they don't have enough talent to carry them through. Kelly Clarkson and Chris Daughtry are examples of people who've used the show to springboard them to huge success, and have remained successful because they are genuinely talented.

We watch it too. Simon was really mean with the comments at auditions last year, but I think they have toned it down a little from last year. I'm still not sure they need to tell people they are "awful" but I can understand some of the laughing. This year it seems there are too many people being ridiculous just to get on TV, like the whole crossdressing thing.

I was surprised they let on the girl who sang Janis. She had a great story though, good for her.

And then there's.... You are my Brother.... Best friends forever...

I have to admit, I really enjoy this show and like someone said earlier, it does give those a chance who are genuinely talented that may not get discovered otherwise, such as Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry a chance to shine and make it in the industry. It seems like alot of the others who were either previous winners or runners up though, haven't had that much success. Only time will tell to see who will still be around in 20 years. It amazes me though how so many of them in the auditions cannot sing a lick but have convinced themselves they sound wonderful!! I guess they want their chance to say they tried out on national TV.

• 2 weeks later...
Watching the horrible singers audition is like watching a train wreck.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for my friends and I. We don't want to watch but we can't seem to look away. I do use the mute button quite often. It's also kind of fun to watch someone you don't think is going to be any good go in and nail it.

I stop watching after they get to Hollywood and they are homogenized for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...
American Idol is everything that is wrong with this country.

That's a little extreme, don't you think? :lol: I am surprised the show is still going...especially since none of the contestants from the past aside from like three have really gone anywhere, but I would like to audition some day.

Archived