Physical Graffitti vs. Exile on Main St.

Lee

This question has been posted over on the IORR message board - IORR is an unofficial Stones web site in case you don't know. You can probably guess what the members on that site voted for, but I just felt like playing devil's advocate and asking the members here what they thought!

My serious reply to this is that they are both great albums, just a matter of personal choice which is the best. IMO Exile is a more complete album, in that the Stones set out to celebrate 10 years together and planned a double album from the start, whereas PG feels more like a single album padded out with some extra tracks to bulk it up. Exile, however, doesn't have peaks similar to IMTOD, Trampled Underfoot or Kashmir.

According to Wikipedia, Exile shifted a million copies, PG sold 16 million.

I'm sure there are plenty of people on here (like me) who are into Led Zep and the Stones...

What's the verdict?

As a fan of BOTH bands, I can answer this one without too much bias. Exile AND PG have many brilliant moments, but each album also has its weaker moments (Just Wanna See His Face/Boogie With Stu). Both are masterpieces in general. Personally speaking though, the edge goes to PG here.

As a fan of BOTH bands, I can answer this one without too much bias. Exile AND PG have many brilliant moments, but each album also has its weaker moments (Just Wanna See His Face/Boogie With Stu). Both are masterpieces in general. Personally speaking though, the edge goes to PG here.

Boogie With Stu? A weaker moment? :o One of my favourites! Oh well, each to their own I suppose. Anyway they're both terrific albums and quite different in style really but I suppose Physical Graffiti would be my favourite overall. Two of the best double-albums of all time.

Wow, both are GREAT albums. I think if you look at just the original songs recorded for PG, and not the outtakes, the picture becomes clearer. Custard Pie, Trampled Underfoot, In My Time Of Dying, Kashmir, In The Light, The Wanton Song, Ten Years Gone, Sick Again. Those songs alone I think trump Exile's strongest moments. That said, I do love Exile...Tumbling Dice, All Down The Line, Rocks Off, Sweet Virginia. Great songs. But I have to go with PG.

Wow, both are GREAT albums. I think if you look at just the original songs recorded for PG, and not the outtakes, the picture becomes clearer. Custard Pie, Trampled Underfoot, In My Time Of Dying, Kashmir, In The Light, The Wanton Song, Ten Years Gone, Sick Again. Those songs alone I think trump Exile's strongest moments. That said, I do love Exile...Tumbling Dice, All Down The Line, Rocks Off, Sweet Virginia. Great songs. But I have to go with PG.

PG.

But the 4th Album by you-know-whom trumps both.

Although the Stones are a great band and can definitively start me up (:D ), their music does not vibrate my soul in quite the same frequency as Zep does. So I can't be very objective and judge album vs. album because Zep will always come out on top.

I don't think "Exile" is their best album. "Sticky Fingers" and "Let It Bleed" are better to me.

I agree. Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and even Beggars Banquet, in my opinion, tower over Exile. I was always disappointed by it. It has its highlights, but it falls short for me. PG is my absolute favorite Zeppelin album, I don't think there's a miss on it. I feel the same about Sticky Fingers. Now PG vs. Sticky Fingers, that's a tough one!

It's kind of a waste of time to ask this question on either a Stones board or a Zeppelin board. You know what 99% of people will say and there is little to no objectivity.

Zeppelin fans will say Physical Graffiti.

Stones fans will say Exile.

Just to break up the monotony here I'm gonna go with Exile.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'll go over to the Stones board and pick Physical Graffiti... :D

(truthfully...I don't know. Both would be somewhere in my top 5 favorite albums all time, but I don't feel like deciding where at the moment)

This is a tough call. Whoever said that PG's musical peaks were better than Exile's is correct, but Exile always lifts my mood whenever I play it, something that only happens sometimes with PG.

As for Sticky Fingers, a comparison with the fourth album might make more sense - both came out in 1971, are single albums and are generally considered to represent the high watermark of each band's output.

It's kind of a waste of time to ask this question on either a Stones board or a Zeppelin board. You know what 99% of people will say and there is little to no objectivity.

Zeppelin fans will say Physical Graffiti.

Stones fans will say Exile.

Just to break up the monotony here I'm gonna go with Exile.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'll go over to the Stones board and pick Physical Graffiti... :D

(truthfully...I don't know. Both would be somewhere in my top 5 favorite albums all time, but I don't feel like deciding where at the moment)

I thought the same when I read the original post. For the record, PG is one of my top LZ albums (LZ II is arguably my favorite....it changes sometimes.....:D). I can't compare because I've never listened to Exile on Main Street (maybe some of the songs).

As for Sticky Fingers, a comparison with the fourth album might make more sense - both came out in 1971, are single albums and are generally considered to represent the high watermark of each band's output.

Lets throw in Who's Next as well, The Who's greatest album also released in 1971. What a year!

Archived