Physical Graffitti vs. Exile on Main St.

Lee

4 hours ago, JTM said:

Anyway, talking of PG, I've been listening to this (on Vinyl) a lot lately. It has many really good cover versions on it, some I'm liking more than the originals.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Physical-Graffiti-Redrawn/release/6830620

and this.

This too.

I loved Michael Kiwanuka's take on Ten Years Gone on that MOJO CD.

58 minutes ago, Mook said:

Agreed, it's a really nice version. In fact the whole thing is rather good. I liked it so much I bought two copies and the vinyl.  I only recently got my turntable upgraded/repaired so the vinyl had been sitting there for over two years unplayed, that has been well remedied now.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

Agreed, it's a really nice version. In fact the whole thing is rather good. I liked it so much I bought two copies and the vinyl.  I only recently got my turntable upgraded/repaired so the vinyl had been sitting there for over two years unplayed, that has been well remedied now.

Glad to hear you get your record player sorted. I'll need to dig that MOJO CD out again, not listened to it for ages.

3 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Imagine this track listing:

Gimmie Shelter

Honkey Tonk Women

Live With Me

Love In Vain

Let It Bleed

Brown Sugar

Midnight Rambler

You Got the Silver

Monkey Man

You Can't Always Get What You Want

I think that only beats Sticky Fingers because of Brown Sugar. I can't listen to the studio version of Midnight Rambler after hearing the ya ya version. 

6 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Presence had two stand out tracks (Achilles and NFBM) and Tattoo You had two (Start Me Up and Waiting On A Friend), so I think that's very plausible. Go ahead and throw in every Stones album post 1980. They basically disappeared until Voodoo Lounge spawned one decent track. Babylon also only had two radio tracks (neither of which rivals Presence).

I mean, I'm not trying to purposely crap on the band, but they've been musically insignificant since "Start Me Up." All opinion of course.

I think I mentioned Tattoo you as a joke, isn't a great album at all. I bought it when it came out and the only track I liked was neighbors. I don't know why I didn't elaborate a bit more.  Tattoo you doesn't even come close to the influences on PG or the visceral emotions of Presence  

8 hours ago, Walter said:

I’ve always enjoyed Tattoo You

Me too - I was in 8th grade when it came out. I think the live LP Still Life followed shortly after. I remember these being monsters on Chicago radio stations like the WLUP and WMET at the time. Tattoo You is one of my fav Stones records. However, the album art work is absolutely horrible. 

On 1/20/2019 at 5:41 AM, Xolo1974 said:

Great post. Totally get what you’re saying re; the way Zep gets to you. I like the Stones, but I don’t rate them at all post Mick Taylor 

Agree 100%. No disrespect to Brian Jones (RIP) or Ronnie Wood, but the Mick Taylor-era Stones were at their pinnacle

With first listens of both albums...i wonder how many zep fans even listened to the 2nd physical graffiti album back in 1975.  I am thinking after the first record, your done.....or wanting to go back to listen to the first record. Then for those that listened to the 2nd album they probably felt that there were some sleepers, after the first record. Not that there arent sleepers on the the 1st record, i think physical graffiti takes more time to appreciate than the other records being that its a double album and its maximum to eleven.  

So its hard to compare it to a record that flows much better as another type of rock record. 

8 hours ago, kirchzep27 said:

With first listens of both albums...i wonder how many zep fans even listened to the 2nd physical graffiti album back in 1975.  I am thinking after the first record, your done.....or wanting to go back to listen to the first record. Then for those that listened to the 2nd album they probably felt that there were some sleepers, after the first record. Not that there arent sleepers on the the 1st record, i think physical graffiti takes more time to appreciate than the other records being that its a double album and its maximum to eleven.  

So its hard to compare it to a record that flows much better as another type of rock record. 

Put me on the list of people who listened to all four sides at first listen. It took a long time to get into it, it being so long. I remember thinking though (still do) it was nowhere near as good as HOTH.

On January 25, 2019 at 4:41 AM, JTM said:

Put me on the list of people who listened to all four sides at first listen. It took a long time to get into it, it being so long. I remember thinking though (still do) it was nowhere near as good as HOTH.

I have always thought about how kashmir would sound bright and more light, like how houses sounds. Yes the whole album would sound different brighter, but the main epic kashmir seemed to be the most affected by the sound quality of the record.

• 2 weeks later...

The Stones and Zep are nothing like each other. I've gone thru a major Stones stage and a major Zep stage and love them both. What's odd for me is knowing generally the Stones had a more rhythmic dance/boogie vibe, but NOW when I listen to PG specifically, that album makes me MOVE! Keith once said (paraphrasing) music has got to hit you in the nuts, Graffitti does just that.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, Mook said:

Zep covers never did anything for me. Hearing TYG performed here makes me think/ask, has any Zep tune aged better than Ten Years Gone? What if TYG was on LZ4 instead of Stairway and vise versa?

Archived