Book: jimmy page magus musician man by g. case

beatbo

is it worth a rip? i've got quite a library, including some fave zep books

(luis rey "live" dave lewis celebration 1 & 2, to name but three), but i usually pass on less than accurate cock rock books. i'm also nototious for buying anything with page's picture or name on it.

buy it?

skip it?

request it as a gift?

inquiring minds would like to know...

thank you in advance

beat

buy it?

skip it?

request it as a gift?

beat

Well, I bought it and I needed another Zeppelin book like a hole in the head. I think you have to support authors who take the time to write a book, provided it's worthwhile. I'd say it's an excellent starting point for someone new to the tales and interested in being a Pageologist. For the old heads, it's a refreshing reminder of what's so compelling about Jimmy Page.There are a few discrepancies but like I've said before, that's intrinsic to any book. Buy it.

I've read it and liked it, however, there really isn't anything new in it and there are no first hand accounts or interviews with JP in it.

Depends on what you are looking for in a book.

I thought it was a good read, but I think there are better.

What's the best book on Page then?

Unless I'm mistaken, it's only a two horse race. You've got the George Case book and

Howard Mylett's 'Jimmy Page - Tangents Within A Framework' published in 1983 by

Omnibu Press. Tangents is essentially a compilation of relevant comments he made

in the UK press throughout the '70s.

I'll plug Greg Russo's 'Yardbirds - The Ultimate Rave-Up!' (3rd edition) as essential to gaining insight into Jimmy's era with them ('66-'68). Parts of it are controversial, as Greg is a Yardie fan first. Also, Adrian T Vell's Mangled Mind Archive published a crude but excellent booklet on his session years in the early 90s. I must get back in touch with Adrian to inquire if an update is in the works.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's only a two horse race. You've got the George Case book and

Howard Mylett's 'Jimmy Page - Tangents Within A Framework' published in 1983 by

Omnibu Press. Tangents is essentially a compilation of relevant comments he made

in the UK press throughout the '70s.

I'll plug Greg Russo's 'Yardbirds - The Ultimate Rave-Up!' (3rd edition) as essential to gaining insight into Jimmy's era with them ('66-'68). Parts of it are controversial, as Greg is a Yardie fan first. Also, Adrian T Vell's Mangled Mind Archive published a crude but excellent booklet on his session years in the early 90s. I must get back in touch with Adrian to inquire if an update is in the works.

steve-

i picked this up, mostly on your response, and i haven't been dissappointed.

so far.

thanks for the sign!

beat

• 1 year later...

I found this Hal Leonard hardback book on the shelves at Half-Price Books today for $10.00.

00331359.gif

http://www.halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?itemid=331359

I read in the book that the author states that Led Zeppelin II was released at Halloween - 1969.

I hardly think that's accurate. MIsinformation.

If the author can't fact check something as cut and dried as that.... I wonder....

I found this Hal Leonard hardback book on the shelves at Half-Price Books today for $10.00.

00331359.gif

http://www.halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?itemid=331359

I read in the book that the author states that Led Zeppelin II was released at Halloween - 1969.

If the author can't fact check something as cut and dried as that.... I wonder....

Well, I am sure it may have that plus other misinformation in it, but I must admit I still enjoyed this book, and thought most of seemed like it rang fairly true, tho you do kinda read all such things with a grain of salt. :) Again, overall enjoyable read for me, anyways. :) Plus the pics were nice.

Sharon

Hi All - Though I'm always lurking I haven't posted since 2007 (on the old board), but just wanted to say thanks for the comments (pro and con) on Magus. As the author of the book in question I've appreciated the insights, critiques, and corrections offered by the fan community here; there's lots of worthwhile info and fresh ideas to be found, among the queries about back-masking, Satan-worshipping, and the colour of Jonsey's shoelaces in Chicago '77 (the third night).

Just to let you know: Magus, Musician, Man is now out in paperback, and I've taken the opportunity to tweak some of its technical and / or typographical errors, as well as update the bio to reflect the 2007 LZ reunion and Page's appearance in Beijing. I understand some readers - esp. the hardcore Ledheads - were hoping to find some firsthand quotes from the subject himself, but generally the response from reviewers and the general public has been positive. For an unauthorized bio, I did the best I could. The book even won a Certificate of Merit award from the Association of Recorded Sound Collections (had you heard of them? I hadn't) for Best Research in Recorded Rock Music.

Alas, no complimentary calls from the Tower House have come to my place, but then, we can hope there'll be a third edition of the title documenting the long-awaited and brilliant 2010 solo album...

Thanks again!

If we could just join hands, if we could just join hands, if we could just join hands ...

Hi All - Though I'm always lurking I haven't posted since 2007 (on the old board), but just wanted to say thanks for the comments (pro and con) on Magus. As the author of the book in question I've appreciated the insights, critiques, and corrections offered by the fan community here; there's lots of worthwhile info and fresh ideas to be found, among the queries about back-masking, Satan-worshipping, and the colour of Jonsey's shoelaces in Chicago '77 (the third night).

Just to let you know: Magus, Musician, Man is now out in paperback, and I've taken the opportunity to tweak some of its technical and / or typographical errors, as well as update the bio to reflect the 2007 LZ reunion and Page's appearance in Beijing. I understand some readers - esp. the hardcore Ledheads - were hoping to find some firsthand quotes from the subject himself, but generally the response from reviewers and the general public has been positive. For an unauthorized bio, I did the best I could. The book even won a Certificate of Merit award from the Association of Recorded Sound Collections (had you heard of them? I hadn't) for Best Research in Recorded Rock Music.

Alas, no complimentary calls from the Tower House have come to my place, but then, we can hope there'll be a third edition of the title documenting the long-awaited and brilliant 2010 solo album...

Thanks again!

If we could just join hands, if we could just join hands, if we could just join hands ...

...Thank you for posting this valuable information..I read the original book and found to be very informative, despite being unauthorized bio....I will have to buy this Edition now...

Thanks again!

I enjoyed your book and wanted to thank you in particular for avoiding the sensational. I think you did a good job in capturing something of the essence of a mysterious and fascinating person.

I enjoyed the book as well. Nothing mind blowing in it, but it was nice to read a book solely on Jimmy. It was way better than that crap book that came out on Robert Plant early last year. sick0002.gif

Oh yeah, this is indeed inaccurate, though I wouldn't call it intentional misinformation. LZII was released on October 22, 1969 in the US and October 31 in the UK, though of course it's not celebrated as Halloween there. I think any other glitches in the book - and no one's hesitated to point them out here or elsewhere - are of this nature. Generally I've tried in Magus Musician Man to capture the essential chronology and facts, as well as the cultural impact, of the head Zep - I'll apologize in advance (to anyone who wants to read it) for not digging up every last detail.

I recall a quote from George Harrison about his biographer Geoffrey Giuliano, "This guy knows more about me than I do." I don't think I've come that close with Jimmy Page, but I'm not sure I'd want to. I've found with legendary rock stars in particular, obsessive fans and completists often compile more info on the subject than the rock stars themselves ever remember; I wonder if Jimmy Page himself knows exactly when LZII came out, or for that matter the complete specs of his Number 1 Les Paul, the meaning of STH, the original amp settings for "No Quarter" or the entire itinerary and set list for the 1975 tour.

Anyway, whatever flaws are detected, I hope the LZ community can still dig the book in the spirit it's intended: a life story, companion guide, and personal appreciation. Zeppelin rules.

(Although to be honest to my personal convictions - Zeppelin rules, Stones dominate, Beatles reign, Hendrix enforces, Elvis is King, and Sabbath, um, administers)

Oh yeah, this is indeed inaccurate, though I wouldn't call it intentional misinformation. LZII was released on October 22, 1969 in the US and October 31 in the UK, though of course it's not celebrated as Halloween there. I think any other glitches in the book - and no one's hesitated to point them out here or elsewhere - are of this nature. Generally I've tried in Magus Musician Man to capture the essential chronology and facts, as well as the cultural impact, of the head Zep - I'll apologize in advance (to anyone who wants to read it) for not digging up every last detail.

:huh::huh::huh:

Anyway, whatever flaws are detected, I hope the LZ community can still dig the book in the spirit it's intended: a life story, companion guide, and personal appreciation. Zeppelin rules.

(Although to be honest to my personal convictions - Zeppelin rules, Stones dominate, Beatles reign, Hendrix enforces, Elvis is King, and Sabbath, um, administers)

Oh, I didn't mean intentional....

I thought it might be something like that.... a release date in the UK or Austrailia or Japan, or something like that. There's been bad dates floating around for years. It's not intentional, but the difference in the way the US and the UK post dates, Month/Day and Day/Month have caused much confusion over the years. Then there's the oft stated Austin, Texas Zeppelin concerts in 1975 and 1977.... THAT NEVER HAPPENED....

George, I'm glad you wrote this book.

And thanks for publishing the correct release dates of the albums !

:huh::huh::huh:

Maybe he/she meant that it's not a popular holiday in England. According to this article I am reading, it wasn't until the late 20th century that Halloween celebrations were popularised, in part due to American cultural influences, like movies and TV.

It seems your version of Halloween is celebrated on the 30th.

No, it's celebrated on the 31st.

Its popular and always has been - we have ALWAYS celebrated it in our house as did my parents and their parents etc. It has certainly become more COMMERCIAL in recent years .

No, it's celebrated on the 31st.

Its popular and always has been - we have ALWAYS celebrated it in our house as did my parents and their parents etc. It has certainly become more COMMERCIAL in recent years .

It's become American but then thats the same thing as commercial. :(

Archived