Gift for Jimmy

PageAngel

Wow...it certainly was a big surprise for me when I got here and everything was totally different! Since the old thread is gone, here is what it was about...

Last year I commissioned a book for Jimmy and asked fans to contribute a message to it. It is now finished, and it was a big success. I included about 600 messages from 42 countries around the world. I actually received many many more than that, but 600 was all I could fit. People answered different questions for me, so the book is not a boring read with everyone saying the same thing. It really is very entertaining!

The book was built to last for at least 500 years with all the craftsmanship and quality that went into making it. It also contains hidden messages that will be found when it needs repair in a few hundred year's time, and other fun things that are built into the book. I didn't want it to be dull, so dull it isn't!

The book is on the book binder's website - this man has made books for the Queen and Prince Charles, so that should give you an idea of what it is like. If you would like to see pics, you can go here: http://www.bookarts.co.uk/examples.htm

Thanks so much to everyone here who sent a message. :D

Wow...it certainly was a big surprise for me when I got here and everything was totally different! Since the old thread is gone, here is what it was about...

Last year I commissioned a book for Jimmy and asked fans to contribute a message to it. It is now finished, and it was a big success. I included about 600 messages from 42 countries around the world. I actually received many many more than that, but 600 was all I could fit. People answered different questions for me, so the book is not a boring read with everyone saying the same thing. It really is very entertaining!

The book was built to last for at least 500 years with all the craftsmanship and quality that went into making it. It also contains hidden messages that will be found when it needs repair in a few hundred year's time, and other fun things that are built into the book. I didn't want it to be dull, so dull it isn't!

The book is on the book binder's website - this man has made books for the Queen and Prince Charles, so that should give you an idea of what it is like. If you would like to see pics, you can go here: http://www.bookarts.co.uk/examples.htm

Thanks so much to everyone here who sent a message. :D

Happy New Year PageAngel!!

I was thinking about you and the status of the project; the binding is beautiful!!! How long will it be before it's ready to be sent to Jimmy? He'll love it!! (He better....:lol: I'm kidding-I know he'll be very appreciative and overwhelmed with all the wonderful messages-I'd certainly be!)

Glad you made it over!!! Keep us posted!

God, it's beautiful! You've done such a marvelous job putting all this together. What a wonderful gift for Jimmy. I can't imagine he'll be anything but thrilled and honored to receive it. You're the best kind of fan, PageAngel. God bless and please keep us posted on Jimmy's reaction!

I included about 600 messages from 42 countries around the world. I actually received many many more than that, but 600 was all I could fit. People answered different questions for me, so the book is not a boring read with everyone saying the same thing. It really is very entertaining!

Any chance of having a larger run printed? I would certainly be interested.

Wow, Pageangel - that is absolutely beautiful! Like others, I'd love to see/own a copy myself, and I'd certainly like to know what Jimmy thinks of it. I'm sure he'll be really touched to receive something like this.

Please keep us posted! :D

I don't have the text anymore, I wiped it from my computer when it was all printed. So much of Jimmy's life is public, so I thought it would be nice if this was one copy of one, for him alone. And quite a number of the people who sent messages asked that no one else read them, as they had personal stories to share about how they felt helped by his music, so I have to honor that and not make the text available. With all the messages I received I simply couldn't keep track of who requested privacy, so I just made it all private.

How much did it cost...well, let's just say A LOT. But if you make a gift for Jimmy Page, it has to be the best you can possibly get, and believe me, you couldn't get a book any finer than this one. I didn't think there would be much point in doing it unless I really pushed the boat out.

I am still working on getting it to someone that can pass it on to him. This in itself is an absolutely fascinating process. I think I could write my own book on just this aspect alone. Suddenly people who claimed to know this and that person are all silent. It's bewildering. But I am pretty sure the person working on it for me will be able to do it. It's a bit like negotiating for the UN I think... :blink:

I want to write a message. :( Still though, great work man. This is a truly amazing thing that you're doing. Keep us informed.

I'm so sorry, but it's all finished now. I will keep you all informed I promise.

But seriously what I did is not so amazing. It's just a thanks. Jimmy's music means a lot to me and helped me through hell when I was growing up. HE is the amazing one. To be able to communicate so much to people through music and make them happy is truly a fantastic gift. He gave me and so many others a song when we didn't have our own, and I'm really very grateful to him.

I'm so sorry, but it's all finished now. I will keep you all informed I promise.

But seriously what I did is not so amazing. It's just a thanks. Jimmy's music means a lot to me and helped me through hell when I was growing up. HE is the amazing one. To be able to communicate so much to people through music and make them happy is truly a fantastic gift. He gave me and so many others a song when we didn't have our own, and I'm really very grateful to him.

Same. The man's a God to me.

What a lovely and thoughtful gift.

What stunning craftsmanship on the cover and binding.

I wish I had been around when you asked for submissions.

I do too! I didn't get much response from threads. I had to search out Jimmy's fans and make contact with them directly by email or find them in the streets (lots of folks advertise with tshirts!) or record shops to get the messages. For some reason threads yielded up mostly sarcasm. I'd say of the several thousand I received, only around 200 or so came from someone reading about it in a thread. I guess it is hard to take people seriously sometimes on message boards, but I was serious. :D It was only towards the end of the deadline I suddenly got flooded with messages, and by then I had way too many to include them all.

Terry Buckley is an amazing bookbinder. The Chairman of Coke is a fan of his work and sends him gifts every year as a thanks for the work he does for him. I was so lucky when I found him and he agreed to do the book. He worked on it with a lot of dedication and was even doing work on it Christmas day. I photographed the whole process of making it, and included those pics in the back of the book so Jimmy can have them. It's a fun process to watch. We had quite an adventure putting it together over the months - he let me do some of the work myself. :)

Thanks everyone for being so sweet about the book. I am glad to hear that people like it. I wish I could take it around and show it to everyone, it's even more spectacular than the pics can show. Terry did an amazing job bringing my idea to life.

You are in the book if I replied to you and said I used your message. I think I replied to everyone. It was only the last couple of weeks I was having to refuse people because I was out of room. It broke my heart though...I still get messages for it now! I got 10 this week alone.

The spine has Jimmy's initials on it. He used it on Outrider. It's clever as it is reads the same any side up.

Archived