Another Record Store Bites The Dust!

myledzep

:lol:

We went to the record store on Sunday, and I wanted to look for one specific CD (which I didn't get BTW), and I ended up MAKING myself pair down the pile so I wouldn't walk out of there having spent over $100.00.

That sounds like every visit I make to a record store. B)

Most indie stores I'm aware of don't sell bootlegs anymore. I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy them anyway especially since you can get most live recordings for free these days via download sites (and trading for them for free). Then there's the bigger picture of robbing artists of the money that should be going into their pockets, not bootleggers who don't even give a shit about the artists. They just want to make a buck.

I should have clarified. As far as boots are concerned, my husband and I are only interested in old vinyl boots with the original covers from the late 60's - early 70's. These boots have probably been been bought and sold several times over since their original issue. We've found these by talking to people at the small indie record stores near campus and my husband usually ends up going into a back room to buy them. We had one guy who worked at a record store in a university town and also had a radio show on the campus radio; he was so good at finding these for us that we called him "The Source." Our collection includes Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, etc. and we collect for the historical interest as much as the music. When and if any of these become available on CD, we always purchase them - both b/c they are portable and easy to play and b/c we don't want to deprive the artists, who've given us so much, of their royalties. FWIW, I received my first CD boot this Christmas, as an unsolicited gift from a friend. :D

New releases...sure BB has the deals.... But I was thinking of how just ordinary releases, already out, some a number of years old, sold for low prices. THAT's what has changed.....

Can't say I've noticed that here. It seems like Circuit City and Best Buy usually have older titles (usually referred to as "midline" CDs) priced at around $10 or less. The most frustrating thing about big box stores is they rarely stock anything other than greatest hits packages from a lot of artists. That's where indies and online outlets tend to get much more of my business.

I should have clarified. As far as boots are concerned, my husband and I are only interested in old vinyl boots with the original covers from the late 60's - early 70's. These boots have probably been been bought and sold several times over since their original issue. We've found these by talking to people at the small indie record stores near campus and my husband usually ends up going into a back room to buy them. We had one guy who worked at a record store in a university town and also had a radio show on the campus radio; he was so good at finding these for us that we called him "The Source." Our collection includes Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, etc. and we collect for the historical interest as much as the music. When and if any of these become available on CD, we always purchase them - both b/c they are portable and easy to play and b/c we don't want to deprive the artists, who've given us so much, of their royalties. FWIW, I received my first CD boot this Christmas, as an unsolicited gift from a friend. :D

Unless it's an "official" release, boots released on CD are still boots and rob money from the artists. Now, if they're officially sanctioned recordings approved by the artists themselves, that's another matter entirely.

Archived