Uriah Heep and Saxon

Posted (edited)

Yeah, they have been touring together this year, what a great bill of British hard rock and metal! Love Saxon and love Uriah Heep too!

Heep2024Tour4.png.624d809397e7374db190481a5e5f02ac.png

A couple of threads that may be of interest:

Edited by luvlz2

^They both have one original band member left; the lead singer for Saxon and the guitarist for Uriah Heep, Really like the latest Saxon release.👍

Sorry I didn’t see the other threads but thanks for pointing them out. Yeah Guitarist Mick Box is the one original member of Uriah Heep that’s still alive, but he’s had a stable lineup for a long time. And singer Biff Byford is the one original member of Saxon (Guitarist Paul Quinn quit last year because he didn’t want to tour anymore but he is on two songs on their latest album), but again, Saxon have had a very stable lineup for many years too. Both bands are still consistently making great albums. I think Saxon especially arguably get better and better. I love their later albums Lionheart, The Inner Sanctum, Into The Lanyrinth, and their latest Hell Fire & Damnation. All of them really. They’re playing a lot of songs from the latest one too, as are Uriah Heep (their great album Chaos & Colour). 

an advantage of being an old git is that I saw uriah heep 3 times in the 70s . saxon during the later half of the 70s were the support to many of the big groups going through . i attended maybe 50 concerts at the glasgow apollo . I saw uriah heep maybe 10 years ago but left before the end . I find it difficult to watch these acts nowadays . I am not being a snob about it . the guys are just old men now . saw the stones at hampden park in '90 . thought they were over the hill then . having said that jones page and plant at the 02 in '07 were wonderful . I was at the apollo for ac/dc in 1978 . then saw them at hampden park in '15 . I left early . thought scotts vocals were just unlistenable . etc etc . an obvious disadvantage of old age in my case , I find it difficult to listen to current line ups of the great 70s bands . 

Fair enough. Good for you though that you saw those bands many years ago when you did. And being at the last Zeppelin concert in 07 I’m sure was incredible. I have the live video/album Celebration Day and it’s one of my favorite shows.

On 5/20/2024 at 7:06 PM, john morrison said:

an advantage of being an old git is that I saw uriah heep 3 times in the 70s . saxon during the later half of the 70s were the support to many of the big groups going through . i attended maybe 50 concerts at the glasgow apollo . I saw uriah heep maybe 10 years ago but left before the end . I find it difficult to watch these acts nowadays . I am not being a snob about it . the guys are just old men now . saw the stones at hampden park in '90 . thought they were over the hill then . having said that jones page and plant at the 02 in '07 were wonderful . I was at the apollo for ac/dc in 1978 . then saw them at hampden park in '15 . I left early . thought scotts vocals were just unlistenable . etc etc . an obvious disadvantage of old age in my case , I find it difficult to listen to current line ups of the great 70s bands . 

Yes, Uriah Heep was the 2nd Gig I ever went to. 1976 I think at the Free Trade Hall,. Saxon I saw loads of times supporting various bands. I saw them at Manchester UMIST union in 1980 with a line up of Nutz, Saxon and Iron Maiden. Who would have thought Iron Maiden would be become a massive global band, we didn't at the time as we shouted "get off you're shite"

As for your AC/DC anecdote, I thing you meant Johnson's vocals? Bon Scott had been dead 35 years

yes you are correct i meant johnson .....old age does that to you . nutz . they were the best support act I saw in the 70s . just the once . probably misremembering but sure it was with sabbath . I eventually got an " official " cd of a nutz gig from 70s . sadly not as I remembered them . steve gibbons band . they regularly appeared as support at the apollo . good times indeed . 

2 hours ago, john morrison said:

yes you are correct i meant johnson .....old age does that to you . nutz . they were the best support act I saw in the 70s . just the once . probably misremembering but sure it was with sabbath . I eventually got an " official " cd of a nutz gig from 70s . sadly not as I remembered them . steve gibbons band . they regularly appeared as support at the apollo . good times indeed . 

Nutz with Sabbath. Makes sense as they were both Brummie bands. Steve Gibbons I saw supporting Ted Nugent in 77 - I bet you saw that tour? I very rarely went to watch support bands, unless I'd heard of them. Some come to mind - Pat Travers (Journey), The Police ( at Manchester Poly for free) Def Leppard ( Sammy Hagar), Japan (Blue Oyster Cult) I couldn't get tickets for Sabbath on the 78 infamous tour with Van Halen, there was loads more but probably too stoned or pissed to remember 

11 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Yes, Uriah Heep was the 2nd Gig I ever went to. 1976 I think at the Free Trade Hall,. Saxon I saw loads of times supporting various bands. I saw them at Manchester UMIST union in 1980 with a line up of Nutz, Saxon and Iron Maiden. Who would have thought Iron Maiden would be become a massive global band, we didn't at the time as we shouted "get off you're shite"

That was the punkier Paul Di'Anno line-up. If Paul Di'Anno had stayed with Iron Maiden, who's to say if they would have become as big as they did? Paul was not the strongest vocalist in concert. Exit Paul, enter Bruce Dickinson, they record "Number of the Beast" and the rest is history. That album and Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance" cemented the NWOHM in America.

Back to the OP topic. I last saw Saxon and Uriah Heep in the 1980s. After seeing Saxon open for a bunch of bands, I saw them on their headlining tour for "Crusader" in 1984. I can't remember the exact year I last saw Uriah Heep but it was sometime in the 1980s. While I enjoyed both bands at the time, and even consider Uriah Heep's 1970's albums better than Deep Purple's output, I just don't have any interest in seeing them now.