JIMMY PAGE (The Firm) Concert Reviews (1984-86)

SteveAJones

• 2 months later...

I'm listening to a recording (on Wolfgang's Vault, which is a veritable treasure trove) of The Firm's December '84 Hammersmith Odeon concert. Both Jimmy & Paul were in top form here. Anyway! Does anyone know what classical music piece was used as an intro, as the band took the stage? Thanks.

Oh yes, this was the The Firm's London debut and Jimmy had a point to prove -- that the maestro was back! They played two weekend shows (Dec 8-9 1984) at the Hammersmith Odeon. Jimmy conversed with Ahmet Ertegun in the backstage area for quite some time

and was pleased to learn Eric Clapton was impressed by his latest work. Roy Harper and David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) attended both nights.

As an aside, Jimmy used to perform a snippet of Holst's Mars The Bringer of War during his violin bow solo in the 70s.

Jimmy conversed with Ahmet Ertegun in the backstage area for quite some time

and was pleased to learn Eric Clapton was impressed by his latest work.

Strange how both Pagey and Jeff Beck seem so eager for Clapton's approval. I'm currently reading a biography of Beck by Annette Carson, and she recounts how Beck was moved to tears by Clapton's praise of his playing at the ARMS concerts.

IMHO Page and Beck are both superior to Clapton as guitarists, and that's not a rare opinion by any stretch.

Strange how both Pagey and Jeff Beck seem so eager for Clapton's approval. I'm currently reading a biography of Beck by Annette Carson, and she recounts how Beck was moved to tears by Clapton's praise of his playing at the ARMS concerts.

IMHO Page and Beck are both superior to Clapton as guitarists, and that's not a rare opinion by any stretch.

The group dynamic between the three is fascinating. I suppose Eric's early reputation as a blues purist and his having found fame first sort of set the bar, so to speak, for Jimmy

and Jeff.

• 3 years later...

LOL...some of these critics really crack me up when they start pissing about the songs they don't like. To take potshots at "Closer," "Make or Break," and "Midnight Moonlight" - three of the Firm's BEST numbers...is just silly.

"Dishwater rockers?" "Limp?" "Unmemorable?"

Did this critic even go to the same show the rest of the fans attended?

Archived