What worked? What didn't?

Good synopsis of the show, I agree completely with your comments around For Your Life --- it was one of the highlights of the show IMHO; when I want to "return to the O2", its the recording of that performance that I listen to. It almost makes me wonder if people are being more critical about some of their other performances that evening because they're comparing them to performances 30+ years ago...and of course they can't do this with FYL.

I do however disagree re: GTBT...despite some sound issues, I think it was a perfect choice to kick things off and it was like magic --- those first few beats/notes immediately just reeled you in and brought back (to me anyway) a rush of memories; first song, first album...the first time you heard Zeppelin...etc. etc., it actually brought tears to my eyes because it made it really sink in that Led Zeppelin is in the house and I'm listening to them.

What you have to do is compair, look at all the cheesy rap band that are throwing concerts now a days. I mean a band hasnt moved that many people in so long.Nor have they acommplished much as a whole and thats why there is such a huge demand is because the need is huge for good music and they my friend are the best on their worst night.

just my two cents though

I was surprised they did -ramble on, after plant playing it solo and then page/plant playing it, but from the clips on youtube it sounded good to me. good times bad times was a great opener and sounded good to me again. If they were to maybe leave one of the regular numbers off and played another song that they never got to play with -bonham, then that would have made the show that much better imo...but no complaints whatsoever as it was.

I'm not saying GTBT wasn't a good choice to open the show. I just think it didn't work in the lower key. The poor sound and feedback didn't help matters, either. As I said, it could have been improved.

Didn't work:

Good Times, Bad Times

Ramble On

TSRTS

Those three that didn't work...I just didn't like the way they felt contextually in a lower register, especially TSRTS. I thought that was probably the only song that I felt should have been excluded (it sounded way too lethargic compared to the original). I think GTBT and Ramble On could be improved but probably shouldn't be next to each other.

I have to agree completely...my only complaints also due to tuned down songs....especially TSRTS. The guitar lacked all of the typical sharpness and brilliance you'd normally get. It felt dull and drab....not cheery.

I watched this show again, then went and watched the Page/Plant Irvine Meadows 1995 show. Honestly, a large portion of the P/P show was much better. More of a varied set. With that said, it was great to hear songs P/P didn't play, such as a full version of Dazed, etc. That, and Zep's take on Kashmir was just AMAZING, without all that Middle East hoo-hah.

Each side has its good and bad.

I think the "what worked - what didn't" discussion can be resolved by factoring in the "We're so f'n NERVOUS!" element that was surely (and admitted to by the band as a whole) there for the first few songs. They seem to relax by "In my time of dying" but let's face it - the entire WORLD was watching and analyzing them....just a wee bit of pressure no?

They will be much better when they do the surprise show of '08.

I think the "what worked - what didn't" discussion can be resolved by factoring in the "We're so f'n NERVOUS!" element that was surely (and admitted to by the band as a whole) there for the first few songs. They seem to relax by "In my time of dying" but let's face it - the entire WORLD was watching and analyzing them....just a wee bit of pressure no?

They will be much better when they do the surprise show of '08.

That makes perfect sense to me. Indeed, by the time they got to IMTOD, they were playing wonderfully.

"Didn't work:

Good Times, Bad Times

Ramble On

TSRTS

Those three that didn't work...I just didn't like the way they felt contextually in a lower register, especially TSRTS. I thought that was probably the only song that I felt should have been excluded (it sounded way too lethargic compared to the original). I think GTBT and Ramble On could be improved but probably shouldn't be next to each other."

Thank God...

... I thought it was me!!!

There I was sitting up in the gods next to my missus (Likes Zep... Not a fan..) and she's says to me 'What's this?' and for about the first minute of Ramble On I didn't know (hides his face in shame) :unsure:

To be honest I'd put it down to bad sound (See 'Worst sound at a gig ever (Which I don't agree with btw))... but it now looks as though it was the band which allowing for nerves makes much more sense.

But WTF... Only 18,000 of us were priveliged enough to be there to support/run down the greatest rock band ever and I'd like to think that at least 17,900 were on the side of the supporters.

Then there's For Your Life. I think up until that point in the show, Jason Bonham was playing a little tentatively, perhaps a bit starry eyed and overwhelmed. But when it came time to play FYL, he simply began to shine and that was probably THE highlight of the show with its sheer power.

As a drummer, I think a song like FYL is amazing to play. It's the type of tune you can kind of sit back in and really lose yourself in. For me, a song like this early on in the set would be a chance to really knuckle down after a few looseners.

Upon further review, this very well might be my favorite version ever of Trampled Underfoot. Between the altered syncopation of Plant's vocal delivery and that spitfire attack Page delivers after Jones' keyboard solo kicks into the instrumental section, it is certainly one of those songs that makes you stagger backwards like you've just been slugged across the face with a 2x4.

Archived