Raising Sand

SIBLY

Great news! Thanks for posting them, 9!

*fetches her Raising Sun album and gives it another try, thinking: wtf am I missing here? :wacko::wacko:<_<:mad: :'( *

i think if you're listening to an album called 'Raising Sun' that might be the reason you dont like it...

:D sorry i couldnt resist.

i think if you're listening to an album called 'Raising Sun' that might be the reason you dont like it...

:D sorry i couldnt resist.

:huh:

:hysterical::hysterical:

See? I can't even remember the right name of the album....how am I supposed to love it? :P

Nobody has mentioned that Jimmy Page is listed as co writing Please Read The Letter - which is my personal favourite off the album

Maybe nobody mentioned it on this thread...but it was already mentioned before, even in the old board.

Btw, the listed Jimmy Page wrote this song together with Robert Plant, Michael Lee and Charlie Jones for the Walking Into Clarksdale Album, released back in 1998. It was mentioned before, as well.

Please Read The Letter is one of my favorite songs on Raing Su... Sand :huh::rolleyes: . And it's played on my favorite radio station many times a day here in São Paulo. :)

^so...it looks like Celia's warming up to the album, eh? :D

Errrrr...not exactly, Mandy. I LOVE Polly Come Home, Nothin' and Please Read The Letter.

And that's it. -_-

I love it. It's funky and groovy. B)

:huh:

Funky?

Groovy?

*goes search for the exact definition of these two words....'cause she thinks none fit the CD :blink:

What do you think of 'Fortune Teller', Celia? That's one of my favorites.

Nice.

:unsure:

:(

Sorry...I guess it's my problem, really...the whole thing is too nice for my taste...someone posted once that the album was too "polite"....I don't know if this is exactly what I think, but I certainly don't like it as much as everybody else. And it really upsets me. :(

Nice.

:unsure:

:(

Sorry...I guess it's my problem, really...the whole thing is too nice for my taste...someone posted once that the album was too "polite"....I don't know if this is exactly what I think, but I certainly don't like it as much as everybody else. And it really upsets me. :(

I don't think I'd say "nice" or "polite"--the word for me is "restrained." And I must admit that, brilliant as I think the album is, I rarely seem to play it, because I like to hear Robert cutting loose, with the freedom to spread himself (yes I know these are starting to sound like double entendres :D) , which he obviously doesn't have if he's harmonizing with somebody else. But he's very "under control" even on the solo songs. All of which I think are brilliant, like I said, it's a fantastic album, deserves all its accolades and the awards it will probably get, I've given copies to numerous people and I'm all signed up to go see R and A later in the year. I just don't seem to love the album enough to actually play it much. So I understand how you feel! :console:

I don't think I'd say "nice" or "polite"--the word for me is "restrained." And I must admit that, brilliant as I think the album is, I rarely seem to play it, because I like to hear Robert cutting loose, with the freedom to spread himself (yes I know these are starting to sound like double entendres :D) , which he obviously doesn't have if he's harmonizing with somebody else. But he's very "under control" even on the solo songs. All of which I think are brilliant, like I said, it's a fantastic album, deserves all its accolades and the awards it will probably get, I've given copies to numerous people and I'm all signed up to go see R and A later in the year. I just don't seem to love the album enough to actually play it much. So I understand how you feel! :console:

:cheer:

Restrained...that's it!

You put my feelings into the right words, Aqua. Or almost. I wouldn't use brilliant on any of my posts about the CD though. :ph34r:

We have already talked about the CD (in person :D ) and we share the same feelings towards it. ^_^

:cheer:

Restrained...that's it!

You put my feelings into the right words, Aqua. Or almost. I wouldn't use brilliant on any of my posts about the CD though. :ph34r:

We have already talked about the CD (in person :D ) and we share the same feelings towards it. ^_^

There's some people here who should be estrained :D

I thin some people are struggling with Robert singing unsolo and harmonising like he is.

I am really looking forward to what else they will be bringing to the live shows, perhaps some nice surprises.

There's some people here who should be estrained :D

I thin some people are struggling with Robert singing unsolo and harmonising like he is.

I am really looking forward to what else they will be bringing to the live shows, perhaps some nice surprises.

<_<

I'm not struggling with Robert singing unsolo...he could have done the work with Alison, or whoever, and if it turned out something I liked, I mean REALLY liked, I would be the first one to say it, Paul. I can honestly say his voice has never sounded as beautiful as in this album. But it, by itself, won't make me love the whole album. I love 3 songs...and that's it. The rest I can listen to...but nothing there will make me love it all. Sorry.

I hope you and the ones who attend their concert have a great time and I also expect they bring you nice surprises....if only they don't restrain themselves. :ph34r::P

<_<

I'm not struggling with Robert singing unsolo...he could have done the work with Alison, or whoever, and if it turned out something I liked, I mean REALLY liked, I would be the first one to say it, Paul. I can honestly say his voice has never sounded as beautiful as in this album. But it, by itself, won't make me love the whole album. I love 3 songs...and that's it. The rest I can listen to...but nothing there will make me love it all. Sorry.

I hope you and the ones who attend their concert have a great time and I also expect they bring you nice surprises....if only they don't restrain themselves. :ph34r::P

Well at least you like some tracks now Celia. :D

I hope they do some other stuff (which i think they will) in the shows, haven't a clue what. No reworkings of Zep stuff but perhaps some of the songs not chosen for the album but they were in with a shout for being included. I guess they have a hell of a lot to choose from. B)

I loved Polly Come Home from the very first listening. :)

The other two songs took a few listenings more. :lol:

I hope they do some other stuff (which i think they will) in the shows, haven't a clue what. No reworkings of Zep stuff but perhaps some of the songs not chosen for the album but they were in with a shout for being included. I guess they have a hell of a lot to choose from. B)

I read somewhere they were working on a version of LZ Black Dog....

Good luck. :)

I can understand how you might not like the restraint. But in a way, it's Roberts best recourse. His ability to hit those high notes is only going to get worse, and he'll always have to compete with his younger self. Why not find a new mode of expression?

After all, it's not like he's not still doing his old act every once in a while . . .but you would know that better than I. :P

It will be interesting to see what else they'll perform live. My guess would be they could pull out some tracks that didn't make it on the album (I think Alison said there were a couple) and songs from each of their own careers. I don't know how they'll handle that - whether they'll do some together and some on their own or all of it together.

I really love the album but I do completely get what Aqua and Celia are saying regarding it being restrained and wanting Robert to really cut loose vocally. I think with Raising Sand what I like (in addition to being drawn to a lot of roots music) is the fact that Robert went out on a limb and did something completely different. And with that, he demonstrated how versatile a singer he is by harmonising and singing in a much more restrained manner.

Trouble is, I totally agree with everyone who disagrees with me! :wacko: In that I love that he's doing something new, experimenting with new styles and ways of doing things, while still keeping SS in the wings, and I think the finished result on Raising Sand is a terrific achievement. There just has to be some reason I don't play it much, good as I think it is!

Don't think it's just the unsolo thing, though. I loved when he did a duet with Ian Hunter, does that count? :huh:

Trouble is, I totally agree with everyone who disagrees with me! :wacko: In that I love that he's doing something new, experimenting with new styles and ways of doing things, while still keeping SS in the wings, and I think the finished result on Raising Sand is a terrific achievement. There just has to be some reason I don't play it much, good as I think it is!

Don't think it's just the unsolo thing, though. I loved when he did a duet with Ian Hunter, does that count? :huh:

Well, sometimes why we are or aren't drawn to things as much isn't always explainable. I've got loads of cds that I could say the same about - absolutely love it, yet I don't seem to be so inspired to listen terribly often.

Do you think maybe it's having come off seeing a few Strange Sensation shows and so grooving on that whole dynamic, that because this is such a radical departure, it's just not sitting quite the same?

Oh that duet with Ian Hunter :D:thumbsup:

Well, sometimes why we are or aren't drawn to things as much isn't always explainable. I've got loads of cds that I could say the same about - absolutely love it, yet I don't seem to be so inspired to listen terribly often.

Do you think maybe it's having come off seeing a few Strange Sensation shows and so grooving on that whole dynamic, that because this is such a radical departure, it's just not sitting quite the same?

Oh that duet with Ian Hunter :D:thumbsup:

You're probably right. Usually I love it when Robert does something radically different from the last thing he did. Hell, I love Raising Sand. :blink:

I'm a Pisces, two fish going in opposite directions, that's what it is!

Archived