Raising Sand

SIBLY

I felt the same way about Roberts cover of Darkness Darkness. LOVE where he took that song, but the Youngbloods version always left me alittle flat. Like the song was reaching for something, but just never managed to grasp it.

Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us, for some reason , is unpleasant to my ears. It isn't that I don't like the song, I do...but there's something so "off" about it musically that I find it almost a chore to listen to. And yet, I DO listen to it...over and over and over. And I think it is exactly that oddness, that dissonance, that makes it so intriguing. It's a disturbing song, and there's something beautiful about that, in my opinion. Sometimes, it isn't about how much you LIKE the song, but what it is about the song that draws you to it DESPITE the fact it makes you uneasy, you know what I mean?

Agreed again! I like the Youngbloods version and I can see how Robert was so moved by it, but he just gets that mood on Dreamland that's hard to describe. I've heard some versions with Priory of Brion that are also really good - a bit more jazziness to it, if you will but it works.

Sister Rosetta took me a bit to get into but now I love it. There's that melancholy feel, yeah, a bit odd and dissonant as you said that takes a bit getting used to but somehow it works.

I'm a bit curious I think they mentioned in an interview there were a few songs recorded that didn't make the album. Would love to know what they are and of course what they sound like!

Sister Rosetta sounds Greek to my ears. The first couple of times I heard it I felt I was sitting in a Greek restaurant....I felt like eating a gyros. :ph34r:

Well, I don't dilslike it. But I don't love it either.

Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us, for some reason , is unpleasant to my ears. It isn't that I don't like the song, I do...but there's something so "off" about it musically that I find it almost a chore to listen to. And yet, I DO listen to it...over and over and over. And I think it is exactly that oddness, that dissonance, that makes it so intriguing. It's a disturbing song, and there's something beautiful about that, in my opinion. Sometimes, it isn't about how much you LIKE the song, but what it is about the song that draws you to it DESPITE the fact it makes you uneasy, you know what I mean?

I think it's the disturbingness and general strangeness of it that makes it my favorite track, despite Robert being hardly on it. It's so haunting, it's fascinating.

I think it's the disturbingness and general strangeness of it that makes it my favorite track, despite Robert being hardly on it. It's so haunting, it's fascinating.

I agree totally, Aquamarine. Something about the song I can listen to over and over and not get sick of it. It just pulls me in so, I can't describe it.

Anybody mentioned yet that Zep play a similar arrangement of "Fortune Teller" to the one that appears on Raising Sand as part of their WLL medley from Osaka 9/29/71? Wonder if that's where they got the idea to do it, Robert and/or T Bone . . .

I HOPE THEY SHOW AT THE GRAMMY'S ! ! :beer:

Me too Hotplant, now that would be cool!!

I bought this, and was quite disappointed. Not objectionable, but weak - like a used teabag.

I am sorry to hear that. Hope that the more you listen to it, the more it may grow on you.

I bought this, and was quite disappointed. Not objectionable, but weak - like a used teabag.

I kind of agree. I like some tracks on the album, and I enjoy the harmonies and production, but they played it way too safe. I do like "Please Read the Letter" though. Don't have a copy of "Walking into Clarksdale" handy, but isn't this song credited differently ?

I kind of agree. I like some tracks on the album, and I enjoy the harmonies and production, but they played it way too safe. I do like "Please Read the Letter" though. Don't have a copy of "Walking into Clarksdale" handy, but isn't this song credited differently ?

I like it that they played it safe though. Very different from what he has done with Zep and some of his other solo work. Alison is more of a laid back singer and doesn't raise her voice in the way we know Robert can. Oh well, to each is own. I too would love to hear the Please Read the Letter version from Walking into Clarksdale.

I like it that they played it safe though. Very different from what he has done with Zep and some of his other solo work. Alison is more of a laid back singer and doesn't raise her voice in the way we know Robert can. Oh well, to each is own. I too would love to hear the Please Read the Letter version from Walking into Clarksdale.

I don't really view it as either of them playing it safe. They both stepped out of their comfort zones. It's very different from what we've heard from Robert in the past but I still hear some edginess to it. In a less obvious way perhaps.

Archived