The Allman Brothers Thread

MS1

Heard a bit of this on XM's Deep Tracks channel last night but not all of it. Strange to hear the Allmans backing Natalie Cole but it worked.

From jambands.com:

Phil Lesh, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Natalie Cole, Billy Gibbons and More Join The Allman Brothers Band at the Beacon

Cole%20ABB-353x.jpg

Photos by Dino Perrucci

Phil Lesh, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Natalie Cole, Billy Gibbons and several other notable players sat in with The Allman Brothers Band at New York’s Beacon Theater last night. The show—The Allman Brothers Band’s only confirmed summer date— was a collaboration with the American Liver Foundation on the Tune In to Hep C, a public health campaign to help raise awareness of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Gregg Allman suffers from Hep C and recently received a liver transplant. Not coincidentally, the show fell on the eve of the eve of World Hepatitis Day.

The Allman Brothers Band opened their set with a stretch of live favorites, including “Don’t Want You No More,” “It’s Not My Cross To Bear,” Dr. John’s “Walk on Guilded Splinters,” “One Way Out,” Van Morrison’s “Into the Mystic,” “Statesboro Blues,” Bob Dylan’s “Blind Willie McTell” and “Black Hearted Woman. ” After a jam based around the Grateful Dead’s “That’s It For the Other One,” The Allman Brothers Band opened their stage to guests. Singer Natalie Cole, who suffers from hepatitis C, took the stage along with Warren Haynes Band saxophonist Ron Holloway and Gov’t Mule keyboardist Danny Louis for Sam Cooke’s “A Change Is Gonna Come.” Cole and Holloway remained onstage for a cover of The Band’s “The Weight” while saxophonist and frequent ABB guest Bill Evans appeared for a set-closing version of “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed.”

The group’s second set turned into something of a classic rock revue. Surprise guests David Crosby and Graham Nash opened the set with Derek Trucks on electric guitar for “Teach Your Children,” a song they originally recorded with Jerry Garcia on pedal steel guitar. Crosby (who suffers from hepatitis and received a successful liver transplant) and Nash remained onstage for acoustic versions of “Guinnevere” and “Find The Cost Of Freedom.” The members of The Allman Brothers and Phil Lesh then joined Crosby and Nash for both the Crosby song “Cowboy Movie” and CSNY’s “Almost Cut My Hair” (Danny Louis also appeared on the later song). Interestingly enough, Lesh, Garcia, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann performed on the original studio version of the song on If I Could Only Remember My Name.

As Crosby and Nash left the stage, Lesh led the members of The Allman Brothers Band and Louis through the Grateful Dead classics “Shakedown Street,” “Sugaree” and “Franklin’s Tower.” Lesh suffers from hepititus C and received a live transplant in the late ‘90s. Crosby was one of the first musicians who helped him through the process and appeared at some early Phil Lesh & Friends shows. Natalie Cole returned to the stage at the end of the set to sing on “Whipping Post.” All of the evening’s guests then returned along with Devon Allman for a classic two-song encore, “Midnight Rider” and “Will The Circle Be Unbroken.” The final song featured an additional guest, ZZ Top guitarist Billy F Gibbons, on guitar.

The Allman Brothers Band does not have any scheduled dates.

Here’s a look at the evening’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores section

Allman Brothers Band

Tune In To Hep C Benefit Concert Beacon Theater, NYC

Set I

Don’t Want You No More > It’s Not My Cross To Bear, Walk on Guilded Splinters, One Way Out, Into the Mystic, Statesboro Blues, Blind Willie McTell, Black Hearted Woman> Other One Jam, A Change Is Gonna Come*, The Weight^, In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed$

Set II

Teach Your Children**, Guinnevere**, Find The Cost Of Freedom**, Cowboy Movie^^, Almost Cut My Hair$$, Shakedown Street%, Sugaree%, Franklins Tower%, Whipping Post%%

Encore

Midnight Rider^^^, May The Circle Be Unbroken^^^^

Notes

*with Natalie Cole, Ron Halloway and Danny Louis

^with Natalie Cole and Ron Halloway

$with Bill Evans **with David Crosby and Graham Nash

^^with David Crosby, Graham Nash and Phil Lesh

$$ with David Crosby, Graham Nash, Phil Lesh and Danny Louis

%with Phil Lesh and Danny Louis

%%with Natalie Cole

^^^with all guests and Devon Allman

^^^^with all guests, Devon Allman and Billy Gibbons

Source

Allmanbrothersband.com

Lesh%20Crosby%20Nash-353x.jpg

Edited by Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There were apparently some clips from this concert on YouTube but they were removed, most likely because they're the property of Wolfgang's Vault. I'd love to see the entire concert sometime. Hard to believe this was part of a series that aired on educational channels back in the day.

Now, for something completely different. Some ABB related news I thought I'd never see. It'll be interesting to see if Dickey actually performs with them.

Dickey Betts Will Tour in 2012, Accept Grammy with The Allman Brothers Band

There were apparently some clips from this concert on YouTube but they were removed, most likely because they're the property of Wolfgang's Vault. I'd love to see the entire concert sometime. Hard to believe this was part of a series that aired on educational channels back in the day.

Well I actually posted the "Whipping Post" clip and others from this show back in October for my Duane Allman anniversary thread...I found them on YouTube...and they are still up today. The clips are posted by a user named "theelevan".

Well I actually posted the "Whipping Post" clip and others from this show back in October for my Duane Allman anniversary thread...I found them on YouTube...and they are still up today. The clips are posted by a user named "theelevan".

Thanks. I'll have to dig them up. The innerwebz can be a bit of a cumbersome beast at times. Sometimes what you're looking for is there, it just takes the right keywords to find it.

Dickey Betts ought to be part of the ABB somehow. I'm glad to see the fences are slowly mending themselves.

I'm not sure of the details of what happened but whatever it was, there was obviously some very bad blood. Gregg has said in recent years that he hopes to wind the Allman Brother Band down by doing less and less shows. If they're ever going to bring him back into the fold, now is the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Previously unpublished photographs of the Allman Joys performing at a high school graduation at the Oceanside Country Club in Ormond Beach, Florida in 1965. No photo credit was given (at least that I could find) but these were recently posted to Facebook by Matthew Goodwin (he only scanned the photos, he didn't actually take them).

391824_10150558805364467_740624466_10627566_1527970285_n.jpg

389460_10150558805699467_740624466_10627570_1834312481_n.jpg

394788_10150558805774467_740624466_10627571_205283018_n.jpg

383891_10150558805849467_740624466_10627572_794771215_n.jpg

403573_10150558805924467_740624466_10627573_919917440_n.jpg

406537_10150558806084467_740624466_10627575_835163328_n.jpg

404435_10150558806209467_740624466_10627576_202235152_n.jpg

Edited by Jahfin

• 1 month later...

Cool to see these two worlds colliding, especially after Tweedy named Live at the Fillmore East as one of his favorite live albums a few years ago when Kicking Television was released. The unfortunate part is that only a handful of us here are even aware of Wilco. Perhaps even sadder is when I mentioned Derek Trucks not so long ago and about the same amount of members knew who he was. What exactly does it take for people to crawl out from under the "classic rock" rock and leave their musical comfort zones?

"What exactly does it take for people to crawl out from under the "classic rock" rock and leave their musical comfort zones?"

That's not going to happen any time soon. It's unfortunate but that's how it is. This is an old article from 2004 but I don't think much has changed.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2004-03-29-classic-rock-kids_x.htm

• 2 months later...

I haven't picked it up yet but I am interested in reading Gregg's new memoir, My Cross To Bear. He's certainly been promoting the living shit out of it recently. I haven't caught all of the interviews but I have seen a few, including his appearance on CBS This Morning earlier this week where he was interviewed by Charlie Rose and Gayle King. As always, the line of questioning by Charlie Rose was measured and well researched. On the other hand, Gayle King had no place in that interview whatsoever. Gregg had to be downright embarrassed. I know I was and I wasn't even the one in the line of fire.

http://youtu.be/upWUkyAeLYs

Edited by Jahfin

I haven't picked it up yet but I am interested in reading Gregg's new memoir, My Cross To Bear. He's certainly been promoting the living shit out of it recently. I haven't caught all of the interviews but I have seen a few, including his appearance on CBS This Morning earlier this week where he was interviewed by Charlie Rose and Gayle King. As always, the line of questioning by Charlie Rose was measured and well researched. On the other hand, Gayle King had no place in that interview whatsoever. Gregg had to be downright embarrassed. I know I was and I wasn't even the one in the line of fire.

http://youtu.be/upWUkyAeLYs

Thanks for the interviews. I think Tavis and Charlie are excellent and I look forward to almost all of their interviews. I'm not familiar with Gayle King but I wasn't impressed with what I saw of her segment of the interview. I still consider Gregg to be an incredibly important musician and I would have personally granted him more respect (or empathy).

Midnight Riders,read it a long time ago,... accurate?

Anjin-san, I read that book a long time ago too and I remember thinking it was excellent even though Gregg (and maybe Dickey too?) declined to be interviewed for it. I'm curious about Gregg's book and will probably read it - he may give us some insights into Duane and the band that only he can provide.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery