Keeping Led Zeppelin real

guitarmy

Very true. I was questioning Steve's implication that there was something wrong with members of the band doing what they (as opposed to us, or some of us) found personally satisfying.

I have enjoyed this thread and everyones considerate opinions. There isnt anything wrong with changing what you do in order to achieve personal satisfaction. Geez, without that, whats the point???

I too heard neither a yea or a nay from the man. This thread does compell me to put out some thoughts that, although one might consider arguments for a "yea", I will try not to come across as whiny or whatnot. As always with this group, I have always accepted what "is", even though I wanted what "could\should" be. But anyways here goes. And its not like he hasnt heard this before....

Dont do it to try to recreate anything. Do it for what you can create today. You have a chance to do that today, you dont know what tommorow brings. Nobody (or real fans anyways) expects you to role play the Golden God. Nobody expects the high C or A. What I always like about Percy was the layers, the improv, the rythm. Tune it down and feel it, because I have always dug that groove. Dont get stuck on recreating magic or something special, or holding up what was done in the past to some kind of higher plane that is totally unaccesable. To me, thats like saying "my 18th birthday was so freaking magical that as a 40, 50 or 60 year old I refuse to celebrate my birthday".

Whats is magical to me is when you guys as a unit are playing tight, and your music skills and sensibilities are advanced enough (and what is to be appreciated is today they, you and probably most of your old timer fans like me are sober) to where you can go loose. Mr. Jones is a performing professor. Picks up and runs with that ball. You have a Mr. Bonham at the drum kit. Also consider what Mr Page can produce. That guy is a guitar legend. How cool is that? He is your partner - what a blessing that fate put you two together. Relish that, revel in it. Roll around and get that smell all over you, while you can.

Bottom line to me is that you are a performer. You are an entertainer with a product and a brand that is hugely popular. What I need to say is that it's popular because you guys have an artistic sensibility that strikes a lot of peoples nerves. We are all on that groove. Enjoy that. Explore some more with it.

Hang out with Roger Daltry, and hopefully some of that would rub off on you. He seems to me that he has the old rock star thing down. Nothing to prove. Nothing to push on the public. Its all about the perfomance.

Sorry this turned in to a treastice, and Im counseling Percy, lol

oh well, its because I care.

I think it's too much to ask the world not to blow it out of proportion. That's the nature of the beast. Whether it be capitalism or the media, it's hard not to expect full blown excitement.

But in reference to what Robert said, which is the topic here, how do they make it right again?

Robert didn't say it was impossible because he admitted that it worked at the O2. So how do you create this magic again?

Poor wording on my part. Of course the Reunion was huge and was all over the media. What I meant to say was, the expectations afterward got blown out of proportion, that they will get back together as a band, and a full blown tour ect. ect. I am one of those people that hope that they will do something, since I wasn't able to go to see them at the "02" either. B)

It seems to me Robert isn't saying a definite yes or no because there has been no real decision made at this time. Its on hold for now. And I think we may not hear anything until after his tour with Alison is done.

Also, someone posted something along time ago saying they knew someone on the inside that said, Robert would not tour or do anything with LZ until after he's done with his tour with Alison. And then if they could get together, and still create something new (magic) that then, and only then would he commit to some sort of a tour. Or something to that effect.

It makes perfect sense to me along with what he says in this interview about it having to be fresh, and magical and what it was in the beginning only at a different stage in ones life. Who knows, they may give it a try behind closed doors, and then make an announcement one way or another if there is anywhere else to go with it.

I have enjoyed this thread and everyones considerate opinions. There isnt anything wrong with changing what you do in order to achieve personal satisfaction. Geez, without that, whats the point???

I too heard neither a yea or a nay from the man. This thread does compell me to put out some thoughts that, although one might consider arguments for a "yea", I will try not to come across as whiny or whatnot. As always with this group, I have always accepted what "is", even though I wanted what "could\should" be. But anyways here goes. And its not like he hasnt heard this before....

Dont do it to try to recreate anything. Do it for what you can create today. You have a chance to do that today, you dont know what tommorow brings. Nobody (or real fans anyways) expects you to role play the Golden God. Nobody expects the high C or A. What I always like about Percy was the layers, the improv, the rythm. Tune it down and feel it, because I have always dug that groove. Dont get stuck on recreating magic or something special, or holding up what was done in the past to some kind of higher plane that is totally unaccesable. To me, thats like saying "my 18th birthday was so freaking magical that as a 40, 50 or 60 year old I refuse to celebrate my birthday".

Whats is magical to me is when you guys as a unit are playing tight, and your music skills and sensibilities are advanced enough (and what is to be appreciated is today they, you and probably most of your old timer fans like me are sober) to where you can go loose. Mr. Jones is a performing professor. Picks up and runs with that ball. You have a Mr. Bonham at the drum kit. Also consider what Mr Page can produce. That guy is a guitar legend. How cool is that? He is your partner - what a blessing that fate put you two together. Relish that, revel in it. Roll around and get that smell all over you, while you can.

Bottom line to me is that you are a performer. You are an entertainer with a product and a brand that is hugely popular. What I need to say is that it's popular because you guys have an artistic sensibility that strikes a lot of peoples nerves. We are all on that groove. Enjoy that. Explore some more with it.

Hang out with Roger Daltry, and hopefully some of that would rub off on you. He seems to me that he has the old rock star thing down. Nothing to prove. Nothing to push on the public. Its all about the perfomance.

Sorry this turned in to a treastice, and Im counseling Percy, lol

oh well, its because I care.

Hear hear! Great post Max! (May I call you Max?)

I would add this - Robert is singing better now than ever! Whereas sometimes it seems he may have strained a bit in the past (a 19 year old with 10 children and one on the way? LOL!) now he's the real deal. If he brings that to it, magic may indeed be afoot again.

Here's something straight from the horse's mouth that might also encourage keeping it real:

"I always believed in the music we did and that's why it was uncompromising."

Turn the "was" into "is." (Also, great quote in my sig...)

Yeah that was great! A wonderful and well thought out post.

My only concern with this whole "recreating the magic" thing is that maybe he mentioned it because he thought it would be impossible to do?

= No More Led Zeppelin

But then again, he could have just come out and said it to at least put us at ease.

So I think he's (obviously) taking the January meeting seriously. (if it hasn't already happened!)

He probably wants to see what Jimmy has cooked up and if he can relate to the new material. I think someone suggested that the new material would be the only way to come close to recreating the magic.

Here's something straight from the horse's mouth that might also encourage keeping it real:

"I always believed in the music we did and that's why it was uncompromising."

Turn the "was" into "is." (Also, great quote in my sig...)

Yeah nice.

I have a similar one:

We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend, and the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were.

I hope that today, they can continue as they are.

Archived