DIGITAL TV CONVERTER BOXES $40 COUPONS

The Rover

IF YOU HAVE AN ANALOG TV SET OR VCR . . . .

https://www.dtv2009.gov/Default.aspx

You can find out about the $40 Coupon Program from the Govt. and register to be sent up to 2 $40 Coupons for Digital TV Converter Boxes.

Once you've registered for the Coupons, they will be sent to you when the boxes begin being available in late Feb. or early March 2008. Then you must redeem the coupons at a Retailer within 90 Days.

With the converter boxes, you can receive Over-The-Air Digital TV transmissions. And so can your analog VCR, but you'll need a box for it also.

The neat thing about Digital over-the-air TV, is that there are other side channels available. But you have to have the converter box to see the channels over the air.

The site has a FAQ section. Maybe that will answer any questions you have....

We already signed up for those. Thanks.

I think I'm going to buy an HDTV soon though. My old 13 inch TV died a few months ago, and it's killing me! I'm trying to convince Dave to let me get a TV for the "fancy" living room...especially since he's ALWAYS watching the one downstairs. :lol:

• 2 months later...

I received my Digital TV Converter Box $40 "Coupons", which are actually credit card shaped plastic cards.

They are valid through June 24th, a little less than 90 days from now.

The letter than comes with the cards lists 4 chains and 8 specific locations closest to me.

A complete list of participating retailers for coupon redemption is available at www.DTV2009.gov

3 Radioshack

1 Circuit City

2 Best Buy

2 Wal-Mart

The there's a separate page that lists Brands and Model numbers.

For the most recent list go to www.NTIADTV.gov/cecb_list.cfm

I viewed 3 boxes, at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Radio Shack. They all retail for $59.

All come with remotes, which can be programmed to turn your TV set On and Off.

The DTV box can be programmed to not show certain channels, or your favorite channels.

You can select the picture for Standard TV or Widescreen.

Each box has a Standard Cable In and Out port.

Also each box has an RCA Output (Left, Right, and Video).

The RCA box at Wal Mart also a "Smart Cable" port.

I do not know what the Standard Warranty is, but the stores will Gladly sell you a "Repair Policy"...

All this is to watch the various "Digital" Channels on "Over-the-Air" transmissions.

You can use any Standard TV Antenna with the DTV Converter Box.

Some, but not all DVT Boxes are also capable of passing through analog TV signal to the TV set.

The DTV Box --IS NOT-- an HDTV Convertor. To View TV Programs in HD, you need an HD Converter AND an HD TV, or an HDTV with a built in converter.

I got mine at Wal-Mart, even thought I try not to buy things there. It was either Wal-Mart or Circuit City, who has royally pissed me off enough that we decided after buying my car stereo and my new speakers there that we were not going to buy the 50" plasma HDTV there because the car stereo manage is a douchebag...(long story).

but yeah--the price was $49. I got the RCA ones, (they had the Magnavox ones, too but were out of stock) and they weren't hard to install. We're talking about getting new HDTVs for the family room and for the living room, but we decided to go ahead and get these, too.

I sent for those coupons over 2 months ago and still haven't received them.

I know... It takes some time.... I sent off for mine Jan. 15th, almost 3 months ago, and I got the coupons earlier this week.

Okey Doke!

I guess they're as slow as tax returns.

B)

Well, initially, there were no coupons going to be sent out, until Late March, regardless of how soon you signed up. Anyone signing up now, may still have to wait at least 8 weeks, but I don't know.

I know the govt. does not want to pay overtime just to process this. And those fancy plastic custom cards have to be made for each request...... :D

If you have cable or satellite or a TV with a digital tuner in it, you don't need one.

I don't have cable--and our TVs are ALL over ten years old. Most TVs that are less than a year old have a digital tuner. Federal law has required that retailers post that an electronic device such as a VCR, DVDR or TV that doesn't have a digital tuner to post a specific warning.

That being said--NONE of our VCRs or TVs have a digital tuner. We don't have a DVDR, either. Not even on a computer, LOL.

We're ghetto. :D

• 8 months later...

A Report Today said that:

1. There are no new coupons left to issue.... as recently issued coupons expire, then funds will be there to issue some more coupons.

2. It's already too late to apply for a coupon now, in order to have it to redeem by the cutover date from no analog to all digital broadcasts beginning Feb. 17th, 2009.

One thing they don't tell you about is bad reception. Where I am now with this bad weather I get nothing but pixely crap and sound cut off plus I lose stations and have to do a lot of rescans for channels. Sometimes I'll get over 30 stations and sometimes only half that. And I know a few people in town who can only get 1 station even with a good antenna. I think it's typical computer crap and it's like having dial up. Another gov't. boondoggle as far as I'm concerned.

<_<

I received my Digital TV Converter Box $40 "Coupons", which are actually credit card shaped plastic cards.

They are valid through June 24th, a little less than 90 days from now.

The letter than comes with the cards lists 4 chains and 8 specific locations closest to me.

A complete list of participating retailers for coupon redemption is available at www.DTV2009.gov

3 Radioshack

1 Circuit City

2 Best Buy

2 Wal-Mart

The there's a separate page that lists Brands and Model numbers.

For the most recent list go to www.NTIADTV.gov/cecb_list.cfm

I viewed 3 boxes, at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Radio Shack. They all retail for $59.

All come with remotes, which can be programmed to turn your TV set On and Off.

The DTV box can be programmed to not show certain channels, or your favorite channels.

You can select the picture for Standard TV or Widescreen.

Each box has a Standard Cable In and Out port.

Also each box has an RCA Output (Left, Right, and Video).

The RCA box at Wal Mart also a "Smart Cable" port.

I do not know what the Standard Warranty is, but the stores will Gladly sell you a "Repair Policy"...

All this is to watch the various "Digital" Channels on "Over-the-Air" transmissions.

You can use any Standard TV Antenna with the DTV Converter Box.

Some, but not all DVT Boxes are also capable of passing through analog TV signal to the TV set.

The DTV Box --IS NOT-- an HDTV Convertor. To View TV Programs in HD, you need an HD Converter AND an HD TV, or an HDTV with a built in converter.

How's it going "The Rover?" Is it true that these Digital TV Converter Boxes are shit? I hear that these boxes are worse than the Comcast and Time Warner Boxes. What is your opinion on this subject? ROCK ON!

I sent for the convertor coupons, well they seem to have come during the time my wife was exiting and I believe she intercepted them from the mail box, because when I checked on line it said they were sent out on a certain date and I never recieved them.

She didn't use them either because they expired and guess what? they won't re-issue them either <_<

So I gave up cable except for internet and had to go buy a box at full price :angry:

my experience! just like redrum said they are shit! I will say that when they do give a good signal the picture is great! I have an HD set and the picture comes in HD.

So it's a crap shoot. I'm thinking about an outside antenae.

My brother bought one of those recievers to catch TV on your PC and says it works great! They used it during the hurricane when cable was out and it was a life saver.

It costs about $99 but you can take it anywhere you take your laptop.

edited to say I bought the RCA box from whale-mart

Archived