Robert Plant ever lip sync live?

MightyZep

Personally I don't know. I know that quite a bit of singers have because of voice straining and such. But, I don't know about Robert. I'm sure that there had to be some moments when his voice was not ready for the live stuff. I'm not callin anybody out, just curious.

Aha! This has taken me hours to find, but thanks to Dave Lewis I can report the following:

No.v. 30 1996: Robert and Jimmy are presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award, in Mumbai, India. They receive the award on Channel V music awards show and also mime to "Rock and Roll," with Queen's Roger Taylor on drums and Remo Ferandez, a local bassist.

Aha! This has taken me hours to find, but thanks to Dave Lewis I can report the following:

No.v. 30 1996: Robert and Jimmy are presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award, in Mumbai, India. They receive the award on Channel V music awards show and also mime to "Rock and Roll," with Queen's Roger Taylor on drums and Remo Ferandez, a local bassist.

Good work on finding that! The reason I asked the question was because I was recently reading an article about how lots (maybe I should say some) of singers lip sync to perserve their voice. Some only do it occasionaly. But great work!

Good work on finding that! The reason I asked the question was because I was recently reading an article about how lots (maybe I should say some) of singers lip sync to perserve their voice. Some only do it occasionaly. But great work!

That is such crap. That is just making up excuses for singers who are too lazy/untalented. Lip syncing is for over-produced pop-stars, not rock singers. People don't pay all that money to be played pre-recorded garbage. It's like paying $50 to be played a CD once.

If a singer's voice needs to be 'preserved', either they need time off, or they need to learn to protect their voice. But with pitch correction and other digital enhancements, any pretty girl who can't sing, can be made to sound like a pop-star

It was dreadful, really. :wacko:

That is such crap. That is just making up excuses for singers who are too lazy/untalented. Lip syncing is for over-produced pop-stars, not rock singers. People don't pay all that money to be played pre-recorded garbage. It's like paying $50 to be played a CD once.

If a singer's voice needs to be 'preserved', either they need time off, or they need to learn to protect their voice. But with pitch correction and other digital enhancements, any pretty girl who can't sing, can be made to sound like a pop-star

Listen dude I agree with you. I was just wondering about lip syncing because that is what I read. I have seen Robert in concert and he is terrific! I am not putting him down, he is my favorite frontman/lead vocalist of all time. What I read was on wikipedia and it said that certain singers do it when they are sick or have to hit some crazy high note. I know that Robert can hit most high notes and I have seen him sing on the Zeppelin bootlegs when he was sick. But he has had a LONG career and was curious if he ever had to do that on RARE occasions. Ocassionally you will see a video of Robert live where the audio and video don't match and it has made me wonder, but I put it down to the common since of: audio-video delay. Christ dude, he and the whole band mimed parts of their performance for the Song Remains the Same! Sometimes you would maybe have to do it, because they had the scenes missing. BUT I AM NOT MAKING UP CRAP AND I AM NOT CALLING HIM A POP STAR. He is the golden god!

Ocassionally you will see a video of Robert live where the audio and video don't match and it has made me wonder, but I put it down to the common since of: audio-video delay. Christ dude, he and the whole band mimed parts of their performance for the Song Remains the Same!

Yeah, YouTube often puts the audio out of sync.

Technically they didn't mime for TSRTS - they would have played along to a playback of the MSG audio most likely, and the audio from the Shepparton pickups wasn't used.

There is the video to Communication Breakdown which is mimed too - it think it's on the DVD.

I wasn't necessarily accusing you of making excuses for people who lip sync - just saying that those who do use it as an excuse are full of crap. What I am really taking exception to is presenting to a live audience a mimed performance and trying to pass it off as a live one.

I wasn't necessarily accusing you of making excuses for people who lip sync - just saying that those who do use it as an excuse are full of crap. What I am really taking exception to is presenting to a live audience a mimed performance and trying to pass it off as a live one.

I completely agree. And I hate the idea of someone posing to be singing "live" when they are really lip syncing. It is a shame that that kind of stuff goes on. Led Zeppelin are all about keeping things real and I believe that Robert has carried that around with him as well. It's sort of funny, I had a feeling that posting this topic here would piss people off. Not saying that I pissed you off, it's just that the whole topic itself is kind of that way.

It's sort of funny, I had a feeling that posting this topic here would piss people off. Not saying that I pissed you off, it's just that the whole topic itself is kind of that way.

Well yes, it is kind of offensive to people who care so much about a band and its music that it might not be genuine (not saying you are being offensive though).

I mean, if Jimmy went out and played to a pre-recorded track, you would feel cheated, because it wasn't a spontaneous, interactive event. It's just some guy miming to a track which will be the same every time it's played.

I mean, if Jimmy went out and played to a pre-recorded track, you would feel cheated, because it wasn't a spontaneous, interactive event. It's just some guy miming to a track which will be the same every time it's played.

I'd ask for my money back! lol But you're right on the money. I would be furious to find that I spent pocket fulls of dollars to hear a cd played back to me while Jimmy Page mimed to it. That's probably what made me ask the question, because that would be pretty shocking to find out.

It was dreadful, really. :wacko:

I agree with you. It's is a very painful tape to watch. I cringed the few times I have bothered to do so.

The silver lining is that Plant, Page would be horrible lip-synch pop stars. They were so far off the record it's embarrassing.

:o

Archived