Live Albums

Swede

What did he say about Hendrix? Do I really want to know? He has really pissed some off and he would rather be holding an assault rifle these days then a guitar anyway.

Possibly, but his new album has actually been pretty well received.

Ted_Love_Grenade.jpg

nugent_love_grenade.jpg

Limited Edition artwork

What did he say about Hendrix? Do I really want to know? He has really pissed some off and he would rather be holding an assault rifle these days then a guitar anyway.

Well, I saw different things in different rags at the time...but basically always slagging his (Jimi's) influence on others and, for me the last straw was when i read in a ted interview where he defends his position of slagging Jimi saying basically that the last couple of years he was so drugged out, that his playing was super-subpar...etc, etc...

I wouldn't mind getting some live Yes, not sure whether they have any good live albums out though, anyone here know?

The only one that i know or care about was a triple album from the 70's called, i believe, "Yessongs". In fact, i dont know if it was ever released on cd (sure it probably was, though). This was from their '73 tour, right after release of "Fragile". They play all of their classic songs from that era, and yes, this was a 3 album set, well worth purchasing...well, that's what i thought in the late 70's anyway. I even have/had a VHS of this tour as well, an official release at the time. Like I said, not sure what, if any, formats these are on. I never owned the live album, but listened to it all the time with my best friend at the time...always alternating between zep albums and the other "tooth cutters" of the day...

The only one that i know or care about was a triple album from the 70's called, i believe, "Yessongs". In fact, i dont know if it was ever released on cd (sure it probably was, though). This was from their '73 tour, right after release of "Fragile". They play all of their classic songs from that era, and yes, this was a 3 album set, well worth purchasing...well, that's what i thought in the late 70's anyway. I even have/had a VHS of this tour as well, an official release at the time. Like I said, not sure what, if any, formats these are on. I never owned the live album, but listened to it all the time with my best friend at the time...always alternating between zep albums and the other "tooth cutters" of the day...

It's still available. :)

yessongs - all music guide review

In many ways, the extravagance of this package equates the profligacy of the prog rock combo themselves. After all, how else but on a triple-LP collection could one hope to re-create (and/or contain) an adequate sampling of Yes' live presentation? Especially since their tunes typically clocked in in excess of ten minutes. Although they had turned in five studio long-players, the vast majority of Yessongs (1973) is drawn from their three most recent endeavors The Yes Album (1970), Fragile (1971), and Close to the Edge (1972). There are two exceptions, the first being the "Opening (Excerpt from "Firebird Suite")" -- which comes from the 1969 Boston Symphony Orchestra's recording, conducted by Seiji Ozawa. The other is Rick Wakeman's keyboard solo "Excerpts from 'The Six Wives Of Henry VIII'." Yes had just undergone a personnel change shortly after concluding work on Close to the Edge as Bill Bruford (percussion) left to join King Crimson in July of 1972. Bruford can be heard on "Perpetual Change," as well as the medley of "Long Distance Runaround" and "The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)." Enthusiasts keen on various and arguably irrelevant minutia should note the spelling of "praimaturus" as credited on Yessongs. It is slightly different from Fragile, which is denoted as "praematurus." That bit of trivia aside, the new lineup finds Alan White (drums), quite ably filling Bruford's shoes, alongside Jon Anderson (vocals), Steve Howe (guitars), Chris Squire (bass/vocals), and Rick Wakeman (keyboards).

One of their trademarks has always been an ability to re-create their often densely layered sound in concert. They effortlessly pull off the tricky chord progressions and changes in time signatures of "Siberian Khatru" and a sublime "Heart of the Sunrise," which unquestionably bests the dexterity of its carefully crafted studio counterpart. Both Howe and Squire's respective solos during "The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)" are highlights as they give the entire unit an opportunity to show off their capacity for dramatic dynamics. The remainder of Yessongs is similarly strong, particularly the note-perfect "Close to the Edge," and the inspired concluding instrumental jam during "Starship Trooper." However, one criticism that can be leveled at the entire Yessongs release is the less than optimal audio quality throughout. The sound is generally muddy with no real fidelity to speak of and an even less precise stereoscape. But until someone goes back to the multi-tracks and remixes them for 21st century ears, this is as good as it gets when documenting Yes during this seminal transition period. ~ Lindsay Planer, All Music Guide

I wouldn't mind getting some live Yes, not sure whether they have any good live albums out though, anyone here know?

I would say pick up Yessongs ,I dont think you would be disappointed.Original '73 release date.covers all the eary material.

This is great companion Thread for this Topic:

10 Essential Live Rock Albums (that you can buy in the store)

ELP (Emerson, Lake, & Palmer) -- WELCOME BACK MY FRIENDS TO THE SHOW THAT NEVER ENDS

GFR (Grand Funk Railroad) -- LIVE ALBUM

CSNY (Crosby, Still, Nash & Young) -- 4 WAY STREET

CHICAGO -- CHICAGO AT CARNIEGE HALL

THE WHO -- LIVE AT LEEDS

BOB DYLAN -- BEFORE THE FLOOD

THE BEATLES -- LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL

GFR (Grand Funk Railroad) -- CAUGHT IN THE ACT

IRON BUTTERFLY -- LIVE

LED ZEPPELIN -- TSRTS (2007)

I forgot about that Chicago Carniege album.If anyone is not familiar with the very early Chicago. Terry Kath[may his soul rest in peace] plays some of the wickedest guitar ever.this was before they went to all bubble gum music.A real rock band.

When a live album succeed to catch the essence of a great live band it can be the ultimate record to purchase.

Please recomend your top 5 list of live albums.

Here are my recomendations for you to check out:

Ten Years After - Live At Fillmore East 1970

This one is far better then their 1973 album, Recorded Live, which is a great album too.

Live At Fillmore East 1970 was released 2001 and contains interesting liner notes by drummer Ric Lee.

e947770v7de.jpg

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74

Anyone into blues rock and guitarists like Johnny Winter, SRV and Hendrix, really should check this Irish rocker out. If you haven't heard him before, you'll be stunned by this album. That's a promise.

d63746tyax5.jpg

(Not the original vinyl cover art)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From The Road

These guys could outplay anyone. And I mean ANYONE.

Be sure to get the De Luxe edition.

e937291ap9e.jpg

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus

This piece is a must have. Lowell George was one of a kind.

c5245552yl0.jpg

The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East

A classic!

d148560n239.jpg

the who live at leeds, maybe the best live album of all time.

Has anyone heard Bruce Springsteen's Hammersmith Odeon, London '75 album?

It sure captured him and The E Street Band in their prime. It's a very good live album..

h18419es5ya.jpg

Yeah, Hammersmith was a great performance for Springsteen and the band. The version of Spirits in the Night is a fun listen.

41XSCA8NRJL._AA240_.jpg

Not sure if this one's been mentioned or not but if not, it should be.

51ojJ0-At5L._AA240_.jpg

This one is only half live but the energy on it makes up for the entire record. Hard to believe it's the only live recording ZZ Top have ever released.

414KKTF62YL._AA240_.jpg

A band and album that are often overlooked because of the more well known Allmans and Skynyrd but stands up to the very best of both those bands.

41CPSYV9TAL._AA240_.jpg513u6hViDxL._AA240_.jpg

Originally a single disc on vinyl (as seen above), this seminal live record from Waylon Jenning was recently expanded into a remastered two album set. The first edition sounds horrible but the newer edition (pictured above) is vastly improved and very highly recommended to all fans of one of the original "outlaws".

Has anyone heard Bruce Springsteen's Hammersmith Odeon, London '75 album?

It sure captured him and The E Street Band in their prime. It's a very good live album..

h18419es5ya.jpg

If you get this edition of Born to Run, you get the show on DVD with it. And yes, the performances are really great.

BorntoRun30thAnniv.jpg

Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage ANymore Vol. 2

Allman Brothers Band - The Fillmore Concerts

Neil Young - Live Rust and Weld

Yes - Yessongs

The Who - Live At Leeds (DELUXE EDITION)

Johnny Cash - San Quentin and Folsom

Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Rush - All The World's A Stage

and so many more...

If you get this edition of Born to Run, you get the show on DVD with it. And yes, the performances are really great.

BorntoRun30thAnniv.jpg

Thanks. I read about that at allmusic.com. I may have to check that box out.

Deep Purple In Concert 1970/72 Raw sounding with MK II doing some great MK I stuff aswell as stuff from In Rock etc !!

DEEP20PURPLE20in20concert.jpg

Hawkwind Space ritual 1972

I use to get very high to this !!

Space20Ritual20front.jpg

AC/DC If You Want Blood 1978

Bloody awsome !!

ifyouwantbloodyouvegotit.jpg

Rush All the Worlds a Stage 1976

What a band, although I love the songs off the later Exit Stage Left live album, this sounds much better than that album that was to dull in excitement or live feel quality !!

kep40351.jpg

Led Zeppelin How the West was Won 1972

Enough said !!

517496J6FXL.jpg

I would like to add LZ I, I know its not a live album but to my mind there isn't a studio album out there that has the feeling of being live like this .....fantastic !!

Not to be a fanboy or anything, but I figured I'd post another album that deserves recognition. And besides, almost *all* of the albums posted aren't from this decade:

h09808fiwfn.jpg

Wilco - Kicking Television: Live in Chicago

Not only is the setlist varied throughout their discography, but it enhances and breathes life into otherwise pedestrian tracks from A Ghost Is Born. Afterall, that's what I look for in live albums. An improvement upon the studio, however that can be achieved. Definitely recommended!

Hearing some of the A Ghost Is Born songs live really made me appreciate them much more than on the studio record. Wilco were a little shakey the last time I saw them (it was the opening night of their tour, btw) but the show I saw the year before was totally off the fucking hook, one of the best live shows I've seen in years by anybody.

Archived