Live Albums

Swede

True - but I thought they might have some additional comments. I like Mountain, but the concert I saw a few years ago was not very good. And I feel chatty today, besides!

Maybe. I do know those "Extended Versions" CDs are usually cheap knockoffs of material available elsewhere. As for seeing Mountain, anytime you go to see a band that's well past it's prime that's sort of the chance you take. For instance the Marshall Tucker Band is still touring and charging $30 a pop to see a group that only includes one original member. I've heard they're still good live but I'm not forking over 30 bucks to see a ghost of what once was.

True again - I've bought a couple of "Extended Versions" CDs that were a total waste, even though they were only about 5 bucks. They weren't live recordings, though - just poor quality compilations.

I saw Mountain, front and center, because my friend's neighbor is supposedly their tour manager. And I saw Marshall Tucker last year - they've had alot of member changes. Doug Gray was recovering from throat surgery, his voice was awful, and he even apologized for it onstage. They did a 45 minute of "Ramblin'", to give him a break - but it tortured us. Both shows were free for me, though...

Ten Amazing Live Albums

1. Band of Gypsys - Jimi Hendrix

2. Live at the Fillmore - Derek and the Dominos

3. Made in Japan - Deep Purple

4. At Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers Band

5. The Last Waltz - The Band

6. Just One Night - Eric Clapton

7. Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

8. Alive! - Kiss

9. Tribute - Ozzy Osbourne

10. Recorded Live - Ten Years After

On Your Feet Or ON Your Knees Ya I forgot about that one Buck Dharma, Bucks boogie

Buck stepped on my hand at a show in Norfolk Va in 89 at the Boathouse great show.He also spilled my beer on me while looking down this hot gals shirt guess i cant blame him.

best shows i have seen with them were

1977 New Orleans Warehouse with Rush opening

1979 Baltimore Md with Blackmores Rainbow Baltimore civic center

Got a song list for that Mountain album? Was Felix Pappalardi still with them? Thanks!

I am offshore right now but i will check when i get back home .I dont know about the cheapness of the cd but it really impressed me made me buy some more mountain cds leslie West is a pretty decent guitarist

Buck stepped on my hand at a show in Norfolk Va in 89 at the Boathouse great show.He also spilled my beer on me while looking down this hot gals shirt guess i cant blame him.

best shows i have seen with them were

1977 New Orleans Warehouse with Rush opening

1979 Baltimore Md with Blackmores Rainbow Baltimore civic center

If I didnt know better, I'd think that Buck had it in for you.

I dont know about the cheapness of the cd but it really impressed me made me buy some more mountain cds leslie West is a pretty decent guitarist

By "cheap knockoff" I wasn't referring to the price of the CD itself but to the fact that on those Extended Versions CDs the material has already been made available elsewhere.

I have no problem going with greatest hits or compilations for some groups, but there's something wrong with the sound quality of the "extended versions" CDs I've bought.

I asked about Felix Pappalardi, because I like his style of bass playing - much like Jack Bruce. I know they worked together, Felix played on some Cream songs, and one of Mountain's songs was written by Jack...

I have no problem going with greatest hits or compilations for some groups, but there's something wrong with the sound quality of the "extended versions" CDs I've bought.

I asked about Felix Pappalardi, because I like his style of bass playing - much like Jack Bruce. I know they worked together, Felix played on some Cream songs, and one of Mountain's songs was written by Jack...

What about West, Bruce and Lang?

Felix produced them.

There's alot of old stuff that I've got to revisit or even check out for the first time. By the way, there's a "Live Cream, volume 2" that has great versions of Tales of Brave Ullyses, White Room, Politician, Sunshine of your Love, and Deserted Cities of the Heart on it. Jack goes nuts on that last one!

I've only purchased one or two but I noticed the same thing with those Millenium collections. To further clarify my "cheap knockoff" comment, I'm not sure how they get around the legalities of it but those Extended Versions and Millenium collections don't appear to be sanctioned by an artists' actual label. Those are only two examples, I've seen a lot of other collections that are obviously cash-ins. They're not counterfeits or they'd never be allowed on store shelves but they're not "official" releases either. We've all seen them in the budget bin, convenience stores, drug stores, truck stops and other places or at least I have. Most of the time I steer clear of them and go with albums released by the artists' actual label.

1.) Pink Floyd - The Wall Live

2.) The John Butler Trio - Live at St. Gallens

3.) The Eagles - Live

4.) The Doors - Absolutely Live

5.) The Grateful Dead - Live at Buffalo (July 4, 87?)

Also, all of you KISS lovers out there - what about Alive II? GREAT versions of Det. Rock City, Shock Me, Shout It Out Loud, etc.

Also, an awesome live jammin' disc is JBT - Living.

Peace.

"I used to get high for a living, thinking that my destiny was out of my control." - John Butler

Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous

UFO - Strangers In The Night

Scorpions- Tokyo Tapes

Max Webster - Live Magnetic Air

Deep Purple - Made In Japan

YAY!You like Live & Dangerous!

Look at mine:

HTWWW-Led Zep

Live & Dangerous-Thin Lizzy

Live After Death-Iron Maiden

Made In Japan-Purp

Irish Tour-Rory

From what I have..

At San Quentin - Cash

At Folsom - Cash

HTWWW - The Knobs

Live 1975-1985 - Springsteen

Live At the Gorge - The Jam w/ the addition of Mansfield massachusettes 2003... song is called all or none that includes a sick improv of the Heartbreaker solo to boot.

Europe '72 - The Dead

Live Funk - Grand Funk

Live Era 87-93 - Guns 'n fuckin' Roses

Roof Top Concert - The Beatles

Band of Gypsies - Hendrix (although Killin' Floor along with most of his Monterey Pop set is just nutty)

Also, all of you KISS lovers out there - what about Alive II? GREAT versions of Det. Rock City, Shock Me, Shout It Out Loud, etc.

The studio tracks aren't too shabby either! Even though I prefer Alive III, I think the performaces sound more inspired on that one, and it also has a more broad range. Going all the way (Pun intended) from the first album up to Revenge (Which if I may so, puts everything released after Creatures to shame!).

Also, Rush is going to release a live album + DVD of their 2007 S&A tour, ooh man, can't wait! The release is April 8th.

Archived