Zeppelin on Vinyl

MightyZep

Hello all. I recently have acquired a record player and several albums (four of them being Led Zeppelin records). It's pretty interesting to listen to the songs in their original format and hear them in the way that the generation before me did. With that said, it is also interesting to hear how certain records are louder than others and some are quieter.

For example: IV tends to be quite a bit louder than II. II is in excellent shape and so vinyl condition has nothing to do with why it is softer. I am also not talking about the music itself (I know that Thank You is naturally a quiet song). The music is great but it sounds muffled or distant. So I'm wondering, are certain albums just not as loud as others? Or perhaps I somehow got an unlucky record that was not as high in sound quality? PG is also sort of quiet to me. You'd think that Kashmir would shatter windows, but it tends to be more quite and muffled like II. Anyone know much about records and their sounds? Or the different way Zeppelin albums were recorded?

I have a bunch of old vinyl records I just picked up (see my post on other bands forum). Wish I had a way to freakin play them! No record player any more. Have Led Zepp II, III, and Presence

Sucks you cant play em. I'm wanting to get III and Presence myself. I've got II, IV, HOTH, PG and LZ I is in the mail. :)

I need to dig out my vinyl. I was going through an obsessive Zeppelin stage just as vinyl on its last leg. I went out and bought some of the last remaining Zeppelin albums at the local record store. I don't even remember which ones I have, However, I do know that some of them are still sealed.

Hello all. I recently have acquired a record player and several albums (four of them being Led Zeppelin records). It's pretty interesting to listen to the songs in their original format and hear them in the way that the generation before me did. With that said, it is also interesting to hear how certain records are louder than others and some are quieter.

For example: IV tends to be quite a bit louder than II. II is in excellent shape and so vinyl condition has nothing to do with why it is softer. I am also not talking about the music itself (I know that Thank You is naturally a quiet song). The music is great but it sounds muffled or distant. So I'm wondering, are certain albums just not as loud as others? Or perhaps I somehow got an unlucky record that was not as high in sound quality? PG is also sort of quiet to me. You'd think that Kashmir would shatter windows, but it tends to be more quite and muffled like II. Anyone know much about records and their sounds? Or the different way Zeppelin albums were recorded?

MightyZep, I love LZ on vinyl - that' s how I first discovered Zep - on vinyl, album by album, as each was released. The difference in sound quality/volume (especially the muffled, distant, and/or quieter sound) that you are are hearing might be due to the fact that some of your albums may not be the original Atlantic Records and/or Swan Song issues. You may have reissues that were put out by record clubs (e.g., Columbia, RCA). The quality of sound on the record club reissues was, IMO, inferior to the original albums.

MightyZep, I love LZ on vinyl - that' s how I first discovered Zep - on vinyl, album by album, as each was released. The difference in sound quality/volume (especially the muffled, distant, and/or quieter sound) that you are are hearing might be due to the fact that some of your albums may not be the original Atlantic Records and/or Swan Song issues. You may have reissues that were put out by record clubs (e.g., Columbia, RCA). The quality of sound on the record club reissues was, IMO, inferior to the original albums.

Ya Led on vinyl- there is nothing like it! I understand what you're saying about reissues and that makes sense. But, how can you tell if you have a reissue? Both my II and PG are Atlantic Records/Swan Song but how do I know if they are originals or not?

This means that II was played more often and the vinyl is starting to wear out.

Vinyl makes music sound so much better, have fun with your new stuff.

Ya Led on vinyl- there is nothing like it! I understand what you're saying about reissues and that makes sense. But, how can you tell if you have a reissue? Both my II and PG are Atlantic Records/Swan Song but how do I know if they are originals or not?

Yeah, I know what you mean about LZ on vinyl! Mighty, if your album has on the label on the vinyl, SW and a number in the 9000's and it says something like, "Sold Under License From Atlantic Recording Corporation", it is a record club reissue. If you are interested in knowing whether your albums are first pressings, I can post or PM the info to you later this evening.

If you are interested in knowing whether your albums are first pressings, I can post or PM the info to you later this evening.

I appreciate that kind of consideration! Very helpful! and yes, if you are able to do that then that would be great!

Simply having a turntable does'nt give you the full effect of what I grew up w/. You'll also need the tube amp and big boomy speakers! :P Back before cd's....when in the recording studio...you always dubbed a cassette from any two channel mixdown and went right to the parkinglot to listen in the car. That's how you got the best bang for your buck on mixing "for your public", not by mixing for only what you hear on a $1500 set of studio control room monitors.

Even worse...todays cd's are mixed....(and levels driven to the point that any light and shade turns to grey)...for friggin mp3's. I loathe todays recording practices....especially mastering.

IMO, everything sounds better on vinyl!

Vinyl has a particular charm, that's for sure. There is a school of thought that says the modern remasters are 'closer to what the band would have heard through the studio monitors'. But as you pointed out, vinyl is how most people heard Zep's music at the time of release, so in a way is more authentic - 'as intended'.

ICQYB : i purhased a USB record player to record vinyl (bootlegs) to pc. the record player cost $250, i got mine for half price. surely u can find a record player somehwere, second hand pawn shop maybe?

Gee that's sounds pretty techo....I plugged my turntable into the amp, then ran a lead from the headphone jack into my computer's mic. jack and recorded that way. You probably get a better result. I like having the convenience of CD/mp3 but the sound off vinyl.

Gee that's sounds pretty techo....I plugged my turntable into the amp, then ran a lead from the headphone jack into my computer's mic. jack and recorded that way. You probably get a better result. I like having the convenience of CD/mp3 but the sound off vinyl.

it's a dual type, rca jacks for home stereo and usb for pc. and for $100, it was a good deal. my home stereo is across the room. (100 dollars worth of cable to tap in there if i used the home system). it came with software to 'clean up' hisses, pops, hums, if the vinyl needs that editing done.

i like gadgets ;)

I appreciate that kind of consideration! Very helpful! and yes, if you are able to do that then that would be great!

No problem, MightyZep. Here I am writing only about U.S. issues of the Atlantic LZ albums. I don't have any information on the British issues (or those from other countries).

This may be more than you're looking for so if you just want a quick version, stick to the first couple of paragraphs:

Quick Summary:

An original first pressing LZ album (from 1973 or earlier) will have a series catalog number that is in the 7000’s or 8000’s, an 1841 Broadway address on the label (the round label on the vinyl itself), indicate Atlantic with no mention at all of Warner Communications or the “W” logo.

The run-off matrix:

I am not an audiophile but there are some who are able to identify variations in early pressings (including the pressing plant where the album was pressed) by examining the notations that appear in the run-off matrix/trail-off wax. For example, in the run-off matrix of the early pressings of LZIII, there is, written in script which is supposedly Jimmy’s hand-writing, the inscription: "Do what thou wilt" and “So mote be it.”

Covers:

I think the albums were renumbered and reissued in 1977 and, at that time, some changes were made to the artwork on the album covers. For example, LZI, in its early pressings, had accents in red on the cover and on the back cover, red tint. The later pressings of LZI had accents and tints that were more yellow in color. There are supposedly rare copies of LZI with turquoise (or turquoise and red) as the color on the front and back. For LZII, the covers of the early pressings were dark brown whereas the later pressings were light brown.

Labels:

Most of the Atlantic Record LZ albums have an orange and green label (introduced in 1969). There are very early pressings (1968/69) that have purple and gold labels like those found on Atco, which was an Atlantic Records subsidiary (maybe they were used because they were leftover?) – these might be on the copies of LZ I that have the turquoise (or turquoise and red) color.

More details:

1. For first pressings, there should be a 4 digit catalog number that is either in the 7000’s or the 8000’s. If the catalog number is in the 19000’s it is a reissue (dating from late 70’s – early 80’s). If the number is in the 9000’s, it is a record club reissue (e.g., Columbia record club)

2. At the bottom of the rim of the label, if there is a mention of Warner Communications, the album was issued after 1975. If your catalog numbers are in the 19000’s, it will indicate Warner. If it is a Zep album that was issued between 75-77 (e.g., PG, Presence), there will also be Warner printed there, even if it’s a first pressing. Earlier albums that have Warner on the label are reissues.

3. Atlantic Records moved from Broadway to Rock Plaza in late ’73. The address on the rim of the label will be 1841 Broadway for the original, first pressings. If it reads 75 Rockefeller Plaza on the early albums, those are reissues. Disregard the address on the album cover as, from what I can remember, Atlantic never changed the address on the album covers. All 19000 series LPs and all LPs with Warner Communications on the label will have the 75 Rock address. If a 7000/8000 series album has the 75 Rock address but no mention of Warner, it was pressed during the 1973-75 timeframe.

~Mad

Simply having a turntable does'nt give you the full effect of what I grew up w/. You'll also need the tube amp and big boomy speakers! :P Back before cd's....when in the recording studio...you always dubbed a cassette from any two channel mixdown and went right to the parkinglot to listen in the car. That's how you got the best bang for your buck on mixing "for your public", not by mixing for only what you hear on a $1500 set of studio control room monitors.

Even worse...todays cd's are mixed....(and levels driven to the point that any light and shade turns to grey)...for friggin mp3's. I loathe todays recording practices....especially mastering.

IMO, everything sounds better on vinyl!

Nothing like the sound of vinyl played on a system with a tube amp and the big boomy speakers! If you've ever stood by the speakers at a concert, nothing comes as close to replicating that feeling at home as the huge speakers of the '70s - the giant old Klipsch speakers, for example.

I have all the LP's on vinyl and an additional copy of the first Zeppelin LP as well. This one has turquoise lettering and is supposedly rare, does anyone have any info on why that is? I was given it by my boyfriend one Christmas and know it cost a packet and is sought after on eBay and other auctioneer sites, I just don't know why.

I have all the LP's on vinyl and an additional copy of the first Zeppelin LP as well. This one has turquoise lettering and is supposedly rare, does anyone have any info on why that is? I was given it by my boyfriend one Christmas and know it cost a packet and is sought after on eBay and other auctioneer sites, I just don't know why.

I don't know if it's rare in England. It was rare in the U.S. b/c only a few were produced and sold. The color was then changed to red. I don't know why the color was changed; whether it was a decision that the LZ members made or a decision made by someone else.

I can only assume it's rare here as eBay have a field day when a copy is listed. I didn't know it was rare in the U.S, I just thought it was an English edition. I have an 'ordinary' copy of the LP on vinyl and know the lettering's red, though I do prefer the turquiose lettering. I read somewhere something like only 500 copies were done. I'm not sure on that one. Needless to say, I never play it :D

I can only assume it's rare here as eBay have a field day when a copy is listed. I didn't know it was rare in the U.S, I just thought it was an English edition. I have an 'ordinary' copy of the LP on vinyl and know the lettering's red, though I do prefer the turquiose lettering. I read somewhere something like only 500 copies were done. I'm not sure on that one. Needless to say, I never play it :D

You were very lucky to find it! I don't own a turquoise copy and I've only seen a copy of it once.

Vinyl does sound the best. I have all of the albums including two copies of Led Zeppelin 1( 1 copy is the yellow version) and two copies of Led Zeppelin 4 and several bootlegs. Album artwork is the most fun on vinyl(especially Zeppelin 3).

No problem, MightyZep. Here I am writing only about U.S. issues of the Atlantic LZ albums. I don't have any information on the British issues (or those from other countries).

This may be more than you're looking for so if you just want a quick version, stick to the first couple of paragraphs:

Quick Summary:

An original first pressing LZ album (from 1973 or earlier) will have a series catalog number that is in the 7000’s or 8000’s, an 1841 Broadway address on the label (the round label on the vinyl itself), indicate Atlantic with no mention at all of Warner Communications or the “W” logo.

The run-off matrix:

I am not an audiophile but there are some who are able to identify variations in early pressings (including the pressing plant where the album was pressed) by examining the notations that appear in the run-off matrix/trail-off wax. For example, in the run-off matrix of the early pressings of LZIII, there is, written in script which is supposedly Jimmy’s hand-writing, the inscription: "Do what thou wilt" and “So mote be it.”

Covers:

I think the albums were renumbered and reissued in 1977 and, at that time, some changes were made to the artwork on the album covers. For example, LZI, in its early pressings, had accents in red on the cover and on the back cover, red tint. The later pressings of LZI had accents and tints that were more yellow in color. There are supposedly rare copies of LZI with turquoise (or turquoise and red) as the color on the front and back. For LZII, the covers of the early pressings were dark brown whereas the later pressings were light brown.

Labels:

Most of the Atlantic Record LZ albums have an orange and green label (introduced in 1969). There are very early pressings (1968/69) that have purple and gold labels like those found on Atco, which was an Atlantic Records subsidiary (maybe they were used because they were leftover?) – these might be on the copies of LZ I that have the turquoise (or turquoise and red) color.

More details:

1. For first pressings, there should be a 4 digit catalog number that is either in the 7000’s or the 8000’s. If the catalog number is in the 19000’s it is a reissue (dating from late 70’s – early 80’s). If the number is in the 9000’s, it is a record club reissue (e.g., Columbia record club)

2. At the bottom of the rim of the label, if there is a mention of Warner Communications, the album was issued after 1975. If your catalog numbers are in the 19000’s, it will indicate Warner. If it is a Zep album that was issued between 75-77 (e.g., PG, Presence), there will also be Warner printed there, even if it’s a first pressing. Earlier albums that have Warner on the label are reissues.

3. Atlantic Records moved from Broadway to Rock Plaza in late ’73. The address on the rim of the label will be 1841 Broadway for the original, first pressings. If it reads 75 Rockefeller Plaza on the early albums, those are reissues. Disregard the address on the album cover as, from what I can remember, Atlantic never changed the address on the album covers. All 19000 series LPs and all LPs with Warner Communications on the label will have the 75 Rock address. If a 7000/8000 series album has the 75 Rock address but no mention of Warner, it was pressed during the 1973-75 timeframe.

~Mad

Thank you Mad! This information is EXTREMELY helpful. You just completely cleared practically everything up. Thank you for taking the time. You just saved me a whole bunch of money that I would have put towards replicas and that would have been tormenting. Greatly appreciated! Have a good one! P.S. (My Zep II is a fake! Next stop ebay)

The turquoise is only found on the English first pressings.....which according to population/# of units pressed compared to US pressings makes it somewhat of a rarity....although easy to find nowadays. Pretty tough find before the days of the net.

The First US pressings of Zep 1 were on the old purple/brown Atlantic label...and had the band name printed in orangish-red on the cover. Later pressings were on the red/green Atlantic label and has the band name in yellow.

I am currently listening to my dad's collection. Which consists of III, Zoso, HOTH, Presence, Physical Graffiti, and In Through the Out Door. I am so happy that these weren't damaged when our garage mysteriously flooded about an inch. The flood destroyed the jackets of all of his near pristine Beatles records and some Rolling Stones bootlegs. A real shame. It a good thing Zep was in the box 5 feet off the ground. I have to say In Through the Out Door is my favorite. I framed the vinyl and the sleeve and put them on my wall. The cover is a work of art.

Thats lucky!

There is a certain romance about vinyl. I have a few records and I'm collecting more because there is just a certain novelty about them I love, but I haven't bought a record player yet! As far as LZ records go, I haven't got any yet but I'm expecting to get III and ITTOD soon. I just can't decide which of the six ITTOD covers I want :rolleyes: .

Much cooler than CDs! B)

Completely agree. My records are in my room and whenever I want to I just put one on and listen to it. It can really make a good day better and bad day seem good. It's also easy to fall asleep to vinyl records. Something about it is calming (even if it's the monsterous riff of Black Dog or John Bonham's power strikes on the drums during Levee) and Zeppelin's are the best vinyl. Beatles of course being second when it comes to vinyl. Come on: White Album, Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper *classic. NOTHIN beats IV or HOTH IMO though!

Archived