Sept. 25th, 1980

....we just heard on the news that the drummer died." I was floored. Our self-addressed envelope was already in the mail for the '80 Joe Louis show in Detroit. I went into another funk when my buddy gave me my money back three weeks later. It really did feel like the music died too....at least for awhile.

Quite the similar situation for me as BongMans'. I was getting ready for an afternoon shift at work.I dropped to the floor when I first heard it, in waves of uncontrollable sobbing.I was 26 yrs old at the time and a dedicated ZepHead. Nine years earlier I had made it to sidestage at CoboHall and got to experience the pre concert happenings. I saw John, Jimmy and Robert but not JPJ. We two young girls were not prepared" to pay the piper"per se to stay onstage so we left but in that clear moment to have been 30 ft away from the guys was enough of an imprint to last a lifetime. I gathered my thoughts enough to go to work but my boss saw how upset I was and I told him a friend had died.He sent me home and I called in the next day as well.At that point I had already traveled the country to see the mighty Zep, and my money was also in the mail to get tix for the Detroit show. Speculation abounded as radio DJs debated if John Bonhams passing would be the end of Led Zeppelin, and indeed it was, as we knew them then.

I wasn't yet a fan of Zep, probably at school and totally unaware of the tragedy.

On the 25th Sept I do think of him and the other members and the totality of the repercussions of his death, whenever I see the date 25th Sept I think of the horror of John Paul Jones and his discovery/ disbelief.

Many years ago I came across this article and instantly thought of him - Alexandra Palace being a venue many acts, including Zep, had played.....

25Sept80.jpg

i think my parents met at new years 1981 (i was born in 1984). i didn't even learn of Led Zeppelin's existence until 1991 or 1992 when my dad bought the box set 1 on cassette. and i didn't really get into Led Zep until 2000 when i bought early days and later days. and it was around then that i found out that the reason the band broke up is because the drummer died. and i was sad to find out. but that was about 20 years after the fact...

I had just turned 14. And for about a week I was stopping in front of my local ticket outlet on my way to school every morning, hoping the tickets would go on sale for their scheduled October 17 concert at the Montreal Forum.

After I returned from school, I was doing my newspaper delivery route (back then, most dailies still published in the afternoon) I stopped at my friend's house, who was outside, and told me "hey some idiot at school said Bonham had died. What bullshit!" We were worried nonetheless, so we tuned-in CHOM-FM, and sure enough, they confirmed it.

I don't remember ever being so bummed in my life. Even my mom, who was ready to help me get tickets, said she was sorry to hear this.

Archived