No Quarter

^ I like it but at that pace, if you take out the Bonzo uptempo mezzo forte, and reconstruct the melody as such, Zeppelin becomes a Holiday Inn lounge act circa 1973. All that is missing is Maria Muldaur ( or Bill Murray) on vocals :huh:

It's amazing what a little tempo change and mezzo forte can do...completely changes the mood and tone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i suffer from No Quarterosis - a newly recognized medical condition whereby the patient has an never ending compulsion to to listen to every single cotton pickin' live version of No Quarter. Help!! I don't need no doctor - just give me my NQ!!

Speaking of which, does anyone know why they waited to play NQ until the 9th US tour? Do you think it wasn't played in early '73 because they hadn't "worked out" the arrangement or do you think they just didn't think it would work? Because it would have been terrific to hear them play it when they were really firing all pistons in Euro '73.

i suffer from No Quarterosis - a newly recognized medical condition whereby the patient has an never ending compulsion to to listen to every single cotton pickin' live version of No Quarter. Help!! I don't need no doctor - just give me my NQ!!

I'll drink to that! (the sun's over the yardarm somewhere in the world...)

Speaking of which, does anyone know why they waited to play NQ until the 9th US tour? Do you think it wasn't played in early '73 because they hadn't "worked out" the arrangement or do you think they just didn't think it would work? Because it would have been terrific to hear them play it when they were really firing all pistons in Euro '73.

Hard to say, really...Zeppelin did sort of tailor their setlists towards the European or American audiences, as the case may be. "No Quarter" obviously 'worked' live (hell, by '77 it was the centerpiece of their show!), so it may have been more of a case of time limitations or JPJ not yet having sorted out which keyboards to use that left it out of the Europe '73 tour. Including "No Quarter" would have made more sense than the sole acoustic "Bron Y Aur Stomp" IMO, BYAS just seemed redundant within the cacophony of a '73 Zeppelin concert.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love this song live and I think this song really comes alive when played live, one of page's best riffs and I think one of his best solo's, love bonhams drumming to, I have to be in the mood to listen to it on the album but this song for me is one of the highlights of their set when played live, page just makes me wanna lick his boots in this song, much prefer plants vocals on this song live aswell,

My favorite would have to be june 21st 1977. I listened to this entire performance tripping on 5 grams of shrooms so the amazement that I'm sure we've all felt listening to zep was magnified to gigantic proportions. I love how they build it up and down. At one point they start building together and bonham propels them into the fucking sky as they explode and fall back to earth after giving a glimpse of the heaven they'd just reached. <shroom flashbacks talking< Total light and shade. I personally love jpj on piano. Dude can play some beautiful stuff. I also love the june 7th 1977 version. Around the 7 minute mark they go into the nutcracker suite. Sounds jumbled at points but it just makes me happy haha

I also love the june 7th 1977 version. Around the 7 minute mark they go into the nutcracker suite. Sounds jumbled at points but it just makes me happy haha

Coincedentally, I was just listening to this version earlier. I looooove the very end of that particular Nutrocker. Those last little tinkles of the ivories just before resuming the normal song are beautiful.

Love the live versions, hate the studio version. The studio version is just so weak and quaalude like compared to what they accomplished live with this song. The studio version of Plant's vocals sound like he is underwater, stoned, and thin and the arraignment borders on bad Holiday Inn jazz band. It simply amazes me how completely different the song is studio vs live. As many have said this was one of their best live songs if not THE best, but the studio version, no thanks.

Love the live versions, hate the studio version. The studio version is just so weak and quaalude like compared to what they accomplished live with this song. The studio version of Plant's vocals sound like he is underwater, stoned, and thin and the arraignment borders on bad Holiday Inn jazz band. It simply amazes me how completely different the song is studio vs live. As many have said this was one of their best live songs if not THE best, but the studio version, no thanks.

I tend to agree. It was the live version on the original Song Remains The Same soundtrack that made me a "No Quarter" addict...it's not that I don't like the studio take, but it is indeed a completely different song compared to the live arrangements...the studio version is very schizophrenic IMO- it can't decide if it wants to be Prog or some kinda jazz fusion mood piece. As far as I'm concerned, as a prog rock freak, the live performances of "No Quarter" is Progressive Rock at its best, the Floyd or Genesis couldn't do it better.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Seattle '75 is awesome man as is the whole show. Probably the best show of the '75 US tour. It's well worth seeking out.

(Assuming you're talking about the 21st and not the 17th) that show is one of my favorite Zepp shows of all time, not just '75. Love Jones' piano solo in NQ from that show...

Archived