The Janis Joplin Thread

lzfan715

Just about ANYTHING can be looked up on the internet...so why even have discussions or ask ANY question ?

That's not my point at all. Of course there should be discussions and questions but something as simple as a tracklist can be looked up in a matter of seconds.

Well, I've only heard a bit of her music. So basically I'm new. I've had many opportunities while cruising blogs to grab the Big Brother and The Holding Co. albums with her, but I wasn't sure if Janis was right for me. But when I sneaked a listen of that song last night, I think I can get into her.

While I'm a Janis fan I wouldn't say Me and Bobby McGee is all that indicative of her overall style. That song has a bit of a folky-country feel, while I feel the blues is more fitting of what she was about overall. While on the subject I must also say I love the Dead's cover of it, a very fitting tribute to Janis (even though it was originally penned by Kris Kristofferson).

Grateful Dead "Me and Bobby McGee"

Edited by Jahfin

I'm sure some of you will hate my guts for saying this....but, I just never liked her. It's okay driving in the car listening to one of her hits. That's about it. Am I going to sit at home alone analysing the meaning of her music/lyrics. Probably not. There is a whole group of artists from the sixties I find repulsive, Joplin, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. There, I just made some more friends. All these hippie, dippie, American, drug taking, getting arrested acts. Maybe it's because, my main thing during my formative years was British rock. Then around 75/76 I got into punk and I really hated them all.

Edited by JethroTull

I'm sure some of you will hate my guts for saying this....but, I just never liked her. It's okay driving in the car listening to one of her hits. That's about it. Am I going to sit at home alone analysing the meaning of her music/lyrics. Probably not. There is a whole group of artists from the sixties I find repulsive, Joplin, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. There, I just made some more friends. All these hippie, dippie, American, drug taking, getting arrested acts. Maybe it's because, my main thing during my formative years was British rock. Then around 75/76 I got into punk and I really hated them all.

Gawd !

I hate your guts !!! :lol:

No DJ slot for you at my party !!!

Hmmmm....'hippie, dippie'.....are you George Carlin, shit stirrer esq. ?

Ah. You dont like Neil Young. You shit stirrer . Help Jahfin. Help. I know you dont like me either, but Neil Young? Shit stirrer. You are in the fucking cauldron.

1. You are taking the shit stirring thing a little too far. It's not funny and you didn't even come up with it. Try to be more original.

2. Quit trying to form allegiances with people. It makes you look like a weenie.

3. I used to listen to the Harvest record quite a bit. About four years ago I gave it a listen. It sounded so pathetic and depressing, I just put it away for good.

JethroTull, if you don't like her why did you even wonder into this thread? Just to cause problems?

Hendrix is great. So is Jefferson Airplane. While we're at it how do you feel about the Doors? I seem to recall Jim Morrison getting arrested once. I know Janis was once. I'm not sure about Hendrix. I'll look it up though. (On the ever so useful internet)

Edited by lzfan715

Well it seems that my newbie-ness to Janis has brought some rises out of people. I have some Janis screencaps if anyone wants them.

102.jpg

103.jpg

I don't think she was nsaty. She was just outgoing, you could say. I can't say she didn't do drugs. I did hear that she had been clean for quite some time before her death though.

lzfan715, based on her outfit, your screen caps look like they came from Janis' last interview with Dick Cavett. I don't see "nasty" at all in her. There is still something very appealing and almost sweet about Janis here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=18bQ3HSxB2Q

Yeah JT, we know that british lads would never consider doing such things (i.e. drugs)...we know the mop-toppies would never think about dropping acid or smoking weed...or the stones...what are you out of your frickin' mind????

I'd imagine that they had a fun. I mean she and Jim Morrison hated each other but from what I hear they more than got along. So it isn't like she wouldn't talk to anyone.

In that interview with Dick Cavett, she seems so easygoing. He was so nice to her too! It looks like they had a good rapport with one another. It was just so cute to see that. I love how she described the limo and how she rode up front!

JethroTull, if you don't like her why did you even wonder into this thread? Just to cause problems?

Hendrix is great. So is Jefferson Airplane. While we're at it how do you feel about the Doors? I seem to recall Jim Morrison getting arrested once. I know Janis was once. I'm not sure about Hendrix. I'll look it up though. (On the ever so useful internet)

Maybe I got carried away with my adjectives, but I just don't think they were as interesting musically as a lot of other bands. I own a lot of Doors LP's, just don't listen to them anymore. One regret is selling the two LP's, released by The Doors after Morrison died, that I owned. I'm sorry for being rude.

I'd imagine that they had a fun. I mean she and Jim Morrison hated each other but from what I hear they more than got along. So it isn't like she wouldn't talk to anyone.

Might be but remember that there"was a thin line between love and Hate" way back whEn!!

i think jimi got arrested for breaking things while drunk in his hotel room. in 68 or 69. I remember seeing a photo of him handcuffed.

They disliked each other for a time because Jim Called her ugly or something and she hit him with a bottle of booze. But in one of the new Morrision books they apparently made up shortly before she died.

Maybe I got carried away with my adjectives, but I just don't think they were as interesting musically as a lot of other bands. I own a lot of Doors LP's, just don't listen to them anymore. One regret is selling the two LP's, released by The Doors after Morrison died, that I owned. I'm sorry for being rude.

It's okay. Not everyone likes the same music.

i think jimi got arrested for breaking things while drunk in his hotel room. in 68 or 69. I remember seeing a photo of him handcuffed.

I looked it up on the internet and didn't find that he had been arrested. I could be wrong though.

They disliked each other for a time because Jim Called her ugly or something and she hit him with a bottle of booze. But in one of the new Morrision books they apparently made up shortly before she died.

My understanding was that Jim went to Janis' house with his girlfriend. The girlfriend left alone that night and Jim left the next morning. Sometime before he left he told her she was bad at singing, or something. So she hit him over the head with a bottle of Jack Daniels.

• 2 weeks later...
I looked it up on the internet and didn't find that he had been arrested. I could be wrong though.

He was arrested in Sweden early on, probably '67 or early '68. I've read many, many books on Jimi, so this is just from memory. I think it was in Gothenburg(?) Sweden. Jimi was drunk off his ass and for whatever reason began trashing his hotel room, etc. I imagine not much of this went on in Sweden. The authorities were called and he was arrested. I've seen pictures of him w/handcuffs, you cant tell that very well though, 'cause he is wearing a big, white fur around his neck and it partially covers his front area...he is flanked by two Swedish police officers, though.

I think most famous people were arrested at one time or another. Janis was arrested because she hit a police officer. Jim Morrison was arrested, but my dad said it really didn't happen. Grace Slick, well I hear there's quite a list.

I think most famous people were arrested at one time or another. Janis was arrested because she hit a police officer. Jim Morrison was arrested, but my dad said it really didn't happen. Grace Slick, well I hear there's quite a list.

You would be right. Contrary to popular belief, run ins with the law aren't unique to rap stars.