The Janis Joplin Thread

lzfan715

While at college in Florida, he was arrested for stealing a police helmet out of a cop car or off of a police motorcycle.

In November of 1967, the doors were scheduled to play in New Haven, CT. Backstage, before the show, Morrison was allegedly "talking" with a female fan in a toilet stall. The police officer asked Jim and the girl to vacate the area. The girl fled, Morrison decided to stay and confront the cop. The cop then maced Jim in the face. Jim ran out of the stall screaming, "I've been maced!"

Judging from the attention that Jim was receiving, the cop no doubt realized he screwed up! The cops did, however, let the show go on. During a passage in "Back Door Man", Jim began talking, describing what took place backstage just before the show started...slowly, all the cops in the building began to turn around and stare at Jim as he began to berate "the little blue man in the little blue suit..." suddenly the house lights came on and the ancient police chief walked onstage to inform Jim he was under arrest...Jim supposedly stuck the mic in the cop's face and said, "Say your thing, man..." Then he was surrounded on both sides by cops and arrested. Jim was beaten, kicked, spit on...all by the "law enforcement" officers of the day. Fortunately, a reporter for "TIME" magazine was arrested with Jim and his cameramen supposedly had their equipment confiscated and cameras emptied of their film...I think Jim Morrison was the first rock 'n roll star to be arrested on stage, during the performance...I could be wrong, but pretty sure...

Of course, there was the infamous "Miami Concert" in Dade County, FL. March 1st, 1969. Jim missed a few flights enroute to Miami and drank all the way there! The promoters supposedly screwed the doors by paying them a flat rate based on the current seating setup. As soon as the doors' reps signed the contract, the promoters had approximately 1500 seats removed and began charging general admission...jamming more people in the facility than what the band was getting paid for. When Jim got there he was shit-faced...he was most probably incensed by the promoters' greed and his anger is palpable in his "performance"! "You're all a bunch of fucking idiots!!!" He screamed at one point, no doubt referencing the situation with the promoters...The concert finally ground to a halt after Jim supposedly tried to remove his leather pants...three days later the doors were charged with trying to incite a riot, public drunkeness, profanity, lewd and lacivious behavior and exposure... this caused almost every city to cancel appearances by the band...they lost an entire tour (1969) over that one...this also was the begining of their "decline"....he was also arrested at least two times after these incidents...

Didn't Jim get naked on stage at a gig somewhere.......Fla??!

He supposedly pulled his dick out at a show, I think that's what someone asking but I don't think the previous post makes that clear. I don't know for sure but I don't think it's ever actually be known whether he did or not. Even in the Doors movie they kinda skirted around it and never made it clear. Maybe because no one really knows for sure.

While at college in Florida, he was arrested for stealing a police helmet out of a cop car or off of a police motorcycle.

...The concert finally ground to a halt after Jim supposedly tried to remove his leather pants...three days later the doors were charged with trying to incite a riot, public drunkeness, profanity, lewd and lacivious behavior and exposure... this caused almost every city to cancel appearances by the band...they lost an entire tour (1969) over that one...this also was the begining of their "decline"....he was also arrested at least two times after these incidents...

Some of the stuff people got arrested for then is so dumb.

He supposedly pulled his dick out at a show, I think that's what someone asking but I don't think the previous post makes that clear. I don't know for sure but I don't think it's ever actually be known whether he did or not. Even in the Doors movie they kinda skirted around it and never made it clear. Maybe because no one really knows for sure.

Yeah, it was the Miami concert where this was supposed to have happened. At the trial around a year-and-a-half later, no photographic evidence was presented that Jim exposed himself. Some testified that he exposed himself, most testified that they hadn't seen anything of the sort. If anyone is interested, the original book on the doors, "No one here gets out alive" is a great document, actually an informative, funny read. It details the Miami trial fairly well. Apparently the trial itself was a farce, a miscarriage of justice. The judge was up for re-election at that point and didn't want the public to think he was soft on "the long-hairs".

I believe Jim was found guilty of indecent exposure and a few of the other charges. To give you an idea of how back-assward the "trial" was, Jim was found not-guilty of public drunkeness! When the prosecutor asked him if he exposed himself, Jim replied, "I dont remember, I was too drunk". The defendant admits to public drunkeness while on the witness stand, under oath and is still found not guilty!

Jim went free on bond while the verdict was under appeal. Sadly he died in Paris in early July of 1971 before "justice" was served.

Esp the ones who ARRESTED!!!! ).......but then again, I'd like to see the faces of the fuzz way back when with websites like these today, hehehehheheheheheheheheh!!! :) :) :)

http://www.antiradio.net/

TOTAL FREEDOM OF SPEECH.............UNCONDITIONALLY!!

I know. When Janis hit the cop, I can see but they got into a fight because the cops weren't letting the kids dance! They were in the aisle and the cops didn't like it. I always thought that dancing at a concert, especially when the performer wanted you to, was acceptable.

I know. When Janis hit the cop, I can see but they got into a fight because the cops weren't letting the kids dance! They were in the aisle and the cops didn't like it. I always thought that dancing at a concert, especially when the performer wanted you to, was acceptable.

I have never seen the fuzz break up the dancing public at any disco-duck crap show or gig......hmmmm, I wonder if they're prejudiced!! :)

Edited by dragster

Yeah, it was the Miami concert where this was supposed to have happened. At the trial around a year-and-a-half later, no photographic evidence was presented that Jim exposed himself. Some testified that he exposed himself, most testified that they hadn't seen anything of the sort. If anyone is interested, the original book on the doors, "No one here gets out alive" is a great document, actually an informative, funny read. It details the Miami trial fairly well. Apparently the trial itself was a farce, a miscarriage of justice. The judge was up for re-election at that point and didn't want the public to think he was soft on "the long-hairs".

I believe Jim was found guilty of indecent exposure and a few of the other charges. To give you an idea of how back-assward the "trial" was, Jim was found not-guilty of public drunkeness! When the prosecutor asked him if he exposed himself, Jim replied, "I dont remember, I was too drunk". The defendant admits to public drunkeness while on the witness stand, under oath and is still found not guilty!

Jim went free on bond while the verdict was under appeal. Sadly he died in Paris in early July of 1971 before "justice" was served.

Exactly, if he really did do it you would think one photo would have captured it. Because ray Manzerek said flashes were going off like crazy at the time. In the movie they made it look like Jim stuck his hand though the fly in his pants. If Jim did do that some may have mistook it for him exposing himself.

• 1 month later...

Another Janis fan here, folks. Have the Box of Pearls, and especially love her Pearl album. I've always thought Big Brother & the Holding Company was a bit too raw and primitive a band to accompany such a masterly singer, but I guess people's opinions are divided on that. Still, my fave is watching her at Monterey Pop in '67. She actually wasn't well known then. Shivers down the spine. :D

Another Janis fan here, folks. Have the Box of Pearls, and especially love her Pearl album. I've always thought Big Brother & the Holding Company was a bit too raw and primitive a band to accompany such a masterly singer, but I guess people's opinions are divided on that. Still, my fave is watching her at Monterey Pop in '67. She actually wasn't well known then. Shivers down the spine. :D

Her performance at Monterey Pop is probably my favorite. I can't find a link to it right now, but there is a video about the Monterey Pop and one of the musicians who is interviewed (he might have been a member of Big Brother & the Holding Company) said that the festival was organized to highlight performers like the Mamas & the Papas and other more conventional acts. He explained that it all fell apart when Janis and then Jimi took the stage and basically stole the show.

Her performance at Monterey Pop is probably my favorite. I can't find a link to it right now, but there is a video about the Monterey Pop and one of the musicians who is interviewed (he might have been a member of Big Brother & the Holding Company) said that the festival was organized to highlight performers like the Mamas & the Papas and other more conventional acts. He explained that it all fell apart when Janis and then Jimi took the stage and basically stole the show.

:o Can't recall having seen that. Interesting that he would say that. I couldn't really say, but I'm a little inclined to think the person may have gotten the wrong impression. John Philipps of The Mamas & The Papas was one of the main organizers of the event, and was of course always extremely proud of it - and of the fact that the musicians played for free. Philipps thought Monterey Pop was THE real hippy festival, and that by contrast Woodstock was already very much about money. Don't know, perhaps so.

But anyway, John and Michelle Philipps were both so busy with the organization work that, as he put it, 'we almost forgot that we had to perform there as well'..... So The Mamas and The Papas rehearsed very little, and their performance wasn't up to their usual standards. (Not bad at all in my book though; I've always liked them, in fact). Damn, it's so funny to see Cass Elliott's jaw just drop to the floor while Janis is singing. :lol:

Jesus, there were so many great performances there. Otis Redding was amazing. And Ravi Shankar!

Edited by Otto Masson

I just found a song that was one of her first recordings:

Video

Hopefully someone will here will enjoy it.

once again, Janis' first know audio can be heard (on the box set) or youtube. I just found it. Just search 'Janis Joplin What good can drinkin' do' and you'll get to hear the audio, at least. This was recorded in 1962, years before she really took off!

:o Can't recall having seen that. Interesting that he would say that. I couldn't really say, but I'm a little inclined to think the person may have gotten the wrong impression. John Philipps of The Mamas & The Papas was one of the main organizers of the event, and was of course always extremely proud of it - and of the fact that the musicians played for free. Philipps thought Monterey Pop was THE real hippy festival, and that by contrast Woodstock was already very much about money. Don't know, perhaps so.

But anyway, John and Michelle Philipps were both so busy with the organization work that, as he put it, 'we almost forgot that we had to perform there as well'..... So The Mamas and The Papas rehearsed very little, and their performance wasn't up to their usual standards. (Not bad at all in my book though; I've always liked them, in fact). Damn, it's so funny to see Cass Elliott's jaw just drop to the floor while Janis is singing. :lol:

Jesus, there were so many great performances there. Otis Redding was amazing. And Ravi Shankar!

I wish I could find the text or a youtube clip of that interview. It was quite interesting. It could well be that the person, because he was with the Holding Company, was a bit biased.

The clip of Cass Elliott watching Janis is a classic!

Here are some links to NPR stories on the Monterey Pop fest and John Phillips:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=11028739

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1120200

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5778064

I hear you on the entire Monterey Pop festival. It was part of an era that I just missed but would have loved to have been a part of.

I saw a late night screening of Monterey Pop the other night and it was a packed house!! Great seeing it on the big screen. And guess who got the biggest applause from the audience?? Janis! Very cool. People were even still talking about her after the screening. After seeing a lot of stuff on Youtube of her i am convinced she was the best female rocker of all time. And one of the greatest live performers of all time.

I saw a late night screening of Monterey Pop the other night and it was a packed house!! Great seeing it on the big screen. And guess who got the biggest applause from the audience?? Janis! Very cool. People were even still talking about her after the screening. After seeing a lot of stuff on Youtube of her i am convinced she was the best female rocker of all time. And one of the greatest live performers of all time.

Monterey Pop and Woodstock are both great to see on the big screen! Glad you got to experience that. I agree with what you wrote about Janis.