For Your Life --- Snorting?

dmamam

First let me say I used to be on these forums a few years ago, but I forgot my login info...

Anyways, I just dropped $100 on some high quality earphones... and of course I'm breaking them in with some Led Zeppelin. Everything sounds great, I hear things I never heard before. But, in For Your Life, right at 5:30 and lasting about 5-6 seconds, I can hear snorting (like someone pretending to be a pig...) . A quick google search didn't come up with anything, but I didn't try for very long.

So,

1. Am I crazy?

2. Is this something you all know about, and I'm about to feel like an idiot?

3. Did I discover something new?

4. other?

BTW, this is from the Complete Studio Recordings version of Presence.

Agh the snarl, I was like you for years wondering what it was or was just me that had found this :) !! I use to think it was a Presence of sorts that was ment to be on there......Whats that coming over the hill is it a monster !!! :)

gonna have to agree with Solar the back visuals do look like lines being inhailed, even more so right when the song starts.

It was a big move for zep to play it in this day and age yes, But remember they are doing it sober now so it could be a song of new faith and life. and that might be why they played it.

just my two cents

Speaking of snorting, has anyone noticed John Bonham snorting the top of the microphone at the end of the harmonizing part of The Ocean on Led Zeppelin DVD and the new TSRTS bonus features? It was the end of the 1973 tour that has been mentioned often in this thread regarding heavy cocaine use. I think there was a line or a bump on top of the mic. Check it out if you have either of these DVDs. If you don't have either you are really missing out.

First let me say I used to be on these forums a few years ago, but I forgot my login info...

Anyways, I just dropped $100 on some high quality earphones... and of course I'm breaking them in with some Led Zeppelin. Everything sounds great, I hear things I never heard before. But, in For Your Life, right at 5:30 and lasting about 5-6 seconds, I can hear snorting (like someone pretending to be a pig...) . A quick google search didn't come up with anything, but I didn't try for very long.

So,

1. Am I crazy?

2. Is this something you all know about, and I'm about to feel like an idiot?

3. Did I discover something new?

4. other?

BTW, this is from the Complete Studio Recordings version of Presence.

It's a snarl that's always been pretty audible.

Speaking of snorting, has anyone noticed John Bonham snorting the top of the microphone at the end of the harmonizing part of The Ocean on Led Zeppelin DVD and the new TSRTS bonus features? It was the end of the 1973 tour that has been mentioned often in this thread regarding heavy cocaine use. I think there was a line or a bump on top of the mic. Check it out if you have either of these DVDs. If you don't have either you are really missing out.

I doubt if there was a line, rail, bump, whatever on top of the mic. Half of it would fall through the screening on the microphone. It does look like either he is imitating a snort, or he's just singing, "Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

I doubt if there was a line, rail, bump, whatever on top of the mic. Half of it would fall through the screening on the microphone. It does look like either he is imitating a snort, or he's just singing, "Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

He does seem to follow the mic with his nose as it's is being pulled away. We'll never no for sure if something was on it, but it is an interesting moment either way.

Interesting to read people's take on lyrics and music of Led Zeppelin.For Your Life strikes me as a been there,done that,got the t-shirt ode to the autobahn of sex,drugs,and major rock and roll.The exaggerated "snorting" drives the point home.But what really ices it for me is the searing,ominous solo Page kicks you in the teeth with.Wow!

anybody who has snorted coke knows that is not a snort. It is a growl/pig like noise. Like being swallowed up by the life style.

I've always leaned toward the growl vs the snort too. It's animal, not chemical! :lol:

As for Bonzo and the microphone during The Ocean, I always thought that was an inhalation like toking a joint, not a sniff.

Think the visuals connect with the song? Lots of white lines being divided up? Floating around like straws? hrm...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-68QYMquJt0

This is almost a Bacchanalian celebration of the white powder more than anything here.

Man, I just thought they got their video footage mixed up with some Van Halen footage. You know like maybe the graphic designers had a mix up in the mail room and Led Zeppelin got a tape meant for Van Halen! :D

And what substance were being abused at the O2?

led-zeppelin-colour480.jpg

As per this picture from Ross Halfin:

on the left side of the stage we see what appears to be Coffee Service, and on Page's side we see damning evidence of stimulant abuse (aka two cans of some sort of energy Drink)

on the left side of the stage we see what appears to be Coffee Service, and on Page's side we see damning evidence of stimulant abuse (aka two cans of some sort of energy Drink)

I wonder if there's JD mixed in those energy drinks? B)

Damn, for a second it looked like Jimmy was doing a line right off his guitar :lol:

Damn, for a second it looked like Jimmy was doing a line right off his guitar :lol:

there must of been a little left over from the 70's in a toggle switch crevice.

Damn that would be pretty BAD ASS to be doing a line off your guitar mid-concert, better yet mid song.

it would be a Spinal Tap moment for sure.

there must of been a little left over from the 70's in a toggle switch crevice.

Damn that would be pretty BAD ASS to be doing a line off your guitar mid-concert, better yet mid song.

it would be a Spinal Tap moment for sure.

Yeah,now I get the picture.Page on the cover of the January 2009 Guitar World touting the 1960 black Les Paul Custom with the six position toggle/whiff switch.Limited editions availabe;play at your own risk.

• 8 months later...
It was written in Led Zeppelin: The Definitive Biography by Ritchie Yorke as well.

Confirmed or no, it's in there.

Really? I don't remember that and I read the book loads of times in my youth.

The only thing that stuck out in my mind was Jimmy's love for the land

Fool am I.

Archived