Good cover songs

BigBadZep

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got into Elmore James after watching the Blues Brothers movie where his name was mentioned. Elmore James was known as the King of the slide quitar. He influenced many bands including Canned Heat, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page.

Here is Elmore James' Dust My Blues cover of Robert Johnson's "I'll Believe I'll Dust My Broom". Elmore James recorded this song later as "Dust My Broom" which most people know it by today.

Edited by Ace Of Spades

Probably already posted this, but...

Best cover ever - German band the BeatSteaks doing She's Lost Control, originally by Joy Division

Better than the original!

Not even close for me, lacks the hynotic atmosphere of either of Joy Divisions versions and the vocalist isnt anywhere near as interesting as Curtis.

I'v always liked Primal Scream's version of Know Your Rights from the Kowalski single, the dirtiest Bobby G has ever sounded...

The first time I heard her sing this cover was live on the Howard Stern show and it moved me so much that I had to pull my car over on the side of the road. Her phrasing and spacing is fantastic. You can feel that it's a song that means something to her. It's not just a cover - it's her. I would love to buy Macy a cup of coffee one day and just talk to her about life. I dig her a lot.

Shockingly I think this one actually kind of works, although I truly expected it to be a train wreck... :blink:

The first time I heard her sing this cover was live on the Howard Stern show and it moved me so much that I had to pull my car over on the side of the road. Her phrasing and spacing is fantastic. You can feel that it's a song that means something to her. It's not just a cover - it's her. I would love to buy Macy a cup of coffee one day and just talk to her about life. I dig her a lot.

I played her cd "On How Life Is" to death back then; but haven't kept up with what she's done in recent years. I love that she does her own thing and has her own style and it really works for her. I honestly wasn't expecting the cover to be good but I really enjoyed it.