Good cover songs

BigBadZep

• 3 weeks later...

Chip Robinson (ex-Backsliders) covers Ryan Adams' "Oh, My Sweet Carolina" last night at the Pour House in Raleigh during a post wedding bash that also included Tres Chicas, the Small Ponds, Mic Harrison & the High Score and possibly the last performance ever from Patty Hurst Shifter. Evidently he learned it on the way downtown as a special last minute request from the newlyweds. He done good.

Edited by Jahfin

This is a nice cover of Neil Young's "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere", by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJyS3sEX1GY

But Neil's voice is too unique for anyone to score a total bullseye, as shown below on the original.

I would give the RHCP an 8 out of 10 for their version........missy

• 2 weeks later...

Vanessa Hay of Pylon backed by the Dead Milkmen at PopFest in Athens, GA this past weekend doing Pylon's "Crazy". R.E.M. also covered it as a b-side which later appeared on Dead Letter Office, a collection of odds n' ends that came out in 1987.

R.E.M. covering "Crazy" for the first time in years while on tour for In Time in 2003.

Edited by Jahfin

R.E.M., Robyn Hitchcock, Billy Bragg and others covering Jimmie Dale Gilmore's "Dallas" on NPR's Mountain Stage circa April 28th, 1991:

Another version of "Dallas" with Michael Stipe, Natalie Merchant and Billy Bragg from a tour they did together in 1990:

Edited by Jahfin

The band Tesla from California have been playing 'Thank You' in recent years, they recorded a version in their 2007 album of covers "Real to Reel". Band member Frank Hannon has explained that the album was recorded used vintage instruments and technology of the 70s, trying to recreate the sound of that period.

The band Tesla from California have been playing 'Thank You' in recent years, they recorded a version in their 2007 album of covers "Real to Reel". Band member Frank Hannon has explained that the album was recorded used vintage instruments and technology of the 70s, trying to recreate the sound of that period.

Jon Brion's one-of-a-kind shows have always been a mix of Jon's originals and requests shouted out by the audience, ranging from Cole Porter to the Beatles to Radiohead and everything inbetween. Largo has a strict no-taping policy, which was easier to get around in the old days when Largo was on Fairfax, so I didn't hold out much hope of finding a lot of Brion on YouTube, only to be pleasantly surprised at what I did find.

I should probably start a stand-alone thread for Jon Brion and his unique talents, but I'll leave that for another day. But for now, here are three covers that I found; two of them I was actually in the audience for: Stairway to Heaven and Alone Again(Naturally). You should keep in mind that these songs were often performed off-the-cuff, in response to the audience's requests, with little or no planning beforehand.

First up, Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again(Naturally)" w/ Aimee Mann at Largo, 1997:

http://youtu.be/l3C7defYJ8g

Finally, please bring a sense of humour and open-mindedness to this...it's Jon performing "Stairway to Heaven" as only he can at Largo...and yes, that is Jon playing ALL the instruments you hear. He has a looping thing that lets him lay down a drum track, then he'll play a bass riff, then either keyboards or rhythm guitar, and then sing and play lead on top of all that...it's truly a sight to behold, watching him build a song up from the ground, so-to-speak. Anyway, since today is the 40th anniversary of Led Zeppelin IV, what better time to share this with the more eclectic Led Zeppelin fans here. For those with ADD, the guitar solo kicks in around the 7-minute mark:

http://youtu.be/2zR3SMcfPZ0

• 3 weeks later...