A bunch of old farts got back together last year...

the band was supposed to be finished after The Final Cut, after Roger called it quits and said the band was through. (although it was never Floyd after The Wall) the first album and tour was actually only 1/2 Floyd, Wright was just a session musician, along with a nice handful of other miscellaneous musicians... for the second tour he was a full member. the problem I have is that Gilmour knew his solo career was going nowhere and decided that the only way for him to keep raking in the dough was to tour under the banner of Pink Floyd. the same thing happened to The Band several times, a bunch of the original members figured out they weren't making waves by themselves, so resorted to touring as The Band again, even though they'd called it quits in 1976 and Robbie Robertson refused to participate. they kept doing it after Richard Manuel died, and put out some more albums... the problem I have is these remnants of bands whose members have such obviously crappy solo careers slowly lingering back to tour under their old name with a band that isn't even the original. to say that the lure of more money coming in under one band name isn't a major factor in their decision to resurrect dead bands is ludicrous, and goes a great deal towards making me lose respect for those people.

Just finished Nick Mason's book... Well worth a read if you like Floyd :beer:

the band was supposed to be finished after The Final Cut, after Roger called it quits and said the band was through. (although it was never Floyd after The Wall) the first album and tour was actually only 1/2 Floyd, Wright was just a session musician, along with a nice handful of other miscellaneous musicians... for the second tour he was a full member. the problem I have is that Gilmour knew his solo career was going nowhere and decided that the only way for him to keep raking in the dough was to tour under the banner of Pink Floyd. the same thing happened to The Band several times, a bunch of the original members figured out they weren't making waves by themselves, so resorted to touring as The Band again, even though they'd called it quits in 1976 and Robbie Robertson refused to participate. they kept doing it after Richard Manuel died, and put out some more albums... the problem I have is these remnants of bands whose members have such obviously crappy solo careers slowly lingering back to tour under their old name with a band that isn't even the original. to say that the lure of more money coming in under one band name isn't a major factor in their decision to resurrect dead bands is ludicrous, and goes a great deal towards making me lose respect for those people.

I'm not an expert on Pink Floyd's history but I think Wright's status officially changed from full partner to salaried session musician either during or after Animals, definitely before The Wall. I wasn't considering his legal status with the group during the Momentary Lapse and Division Bell tours, only that he was playing with them and therefore 3/4 of the line-up was present.

I agree that the majority of the reunion tours are done for money and a "Pink Floyd" concert will sell more tickets than a "David Gilmour" or "Roger Waters" concert. I didn't have a problem with Gilmour, Mason, and Wright calling themselves Pink Floyd or Page, Plant, Jones, and Jason Bonham calling themselves Led Zeppelin, but I have felt ripped off when I've bought a ticket to see some classic band only to find that there's just a single original member, maybe the drummer or bass player who kept the rights to the name. Still, those are usually acts that are playing in small clubs now and I can't say I blame them for making a living. Nowadays with the magic of Google I'll go look at a band's website to see their current line-up before I buy a ticket.

First of all, Led Zeppelin were called "old farts" in 1978, so if that's your problem why come here at all? Wearing and Tearing!!!

As for Dave Gilmour calling the band Pink Floyd, Roger Waters called it Pink Floyd in 1968 when Syd Barrett who coined the name went looney, and made a fortune capitalizing on his demise. The majority of the Floyd's success was based on the one guy who wasn't in the band. The guy who named the band. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Roger's works and enjoyed his last tour thoroughly, but stealing the name? Shit on Gilmour? I think not. Clearly it was a majority decision when Waters, Wright and Mason, with Gilmour, decided the Floyd name was fair game. Don't cry to me 40 years later when three of that four decide it's still a viable brand! Besides, Gilmour has retired the name hasn't he?

First of all, Led Zeppelin were called "old farts" in 1978, so if that's your problem why come here at all? Wearing and Tearing!!!

:hysterical:

That was three years before I was born! ;)

:hysterical:

I don't care whether they did it for money, and if they do tour, I don't care whether they're doing it for money---as long as I get tickets, and I get my money's worth. :D

Archived