Photos !

Joelmon

I have never been able to understand, why people have such a morbid fascination with old grave sights.

I dunno...my mom, sister and I are all fascinated by them though. I think it's just interesting to read the names and whatnot, you know?

No "potted" plants, Joel. :rolleyes::lol:

These are small pools of salty water. A natural salty water river, well, it isn't really a river, it's so flimsey - hey, KB - you can't call that a river... well, this flow of salty water runs down the mountains and the pools are made of this water. They let it evaporate and they take the salt from it. Salt mines...but not inside the mountains on in the sea. It's in Maras, in the Inca Sacred Valley, Peru. The Incas already took salt from this water centuries ago.

Well that's very cool !!

I'm just so used to associating terraces with gardens ! :D

A garden of SALT !!!! Please pass the PEPPER ! I like to keep my blood pressure down....:)

This is a photo of a 'yellow soda' "spring" near where I lived in Colorado...the seepage down the side of the mound coagulated like the salt in your photos...

bubbles.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

There's my Suzuki in the background...:D

Yes, Joel, a garden of salt. :)

What's yellow soda? :huh:

Honesty, I didn't know either....that 'volcano crater' thing was listed on the topographical map as a 'yellow soda spring'...

This is what it is though.....I googled...:D

sodium ferrocyanide

Mainly used as important raw material for pharmaceutical, pigment, tannage, metallurgy and chemical industries. used in producing iron blue and potassium ferricyanide, surface corrosion protecting for tannage and metal, carburization treating for carbon steel, removing iron in pharmaceutical producing. Used as oxidant, food additive, explosive and chemical reagent. Also used as additive for preventing agglomeration in melt snow in winter

you'll see in the description....an explosive additive. There was also uranium in the area 'harvested' for the atomic bombs that blew up Hiroshima that came from our area too ! :(

I lived in an ancient volcano crater....The Guffey Caldera

Salinas de Maras (Maras salt mines, next to Cuzco, Peru), July, 2006

My husband and my son are in the pics. :)

Those are all beautiful pics, brspled! I've never seen any thing quite like that...salt terraces. The terrain looks incredibly steep for mining and the paths seem so very narrow. I have a couple of photos of mines that I might post tomorrow morning but they are not as dramatic as the Salinas de Maras. Thanks for sharing! :)

Redrum...is that you? :huh:

Great pic! Even if it's not you in there. :)

Those are all beautiful pics, brspled! I've never seen any thing quite like that...salt terraces. The terrain looks incredibly steep for mining and the paths seem so very narrow. I have a couple of photos of mines that I might post tomorrow morning but they are not as dramatic as the Salinas de Maras. Thanks for sharing! :)

MSG, thank you. The setting of the Salinas is really impressive, and you're right, the terrain is steep, the paths very narrow...all salt there is taken by man, it demands an increadible effort to carry the sacks among those terraces.

I'd love to see your pics of salt mines too. :)

He's not around too often Celia....so I'll answer for redrum if you don't mind...

That IS him ! :D

I requested he post that photo...as I'd remembered it from a few years ago. He sent it to me by snail mail...I rephoto'd it and sent it to him digitally and then he reposted it again !!

Confusing ? :lol:

Don't know what to get that Special Someone for Valentine's Day? How about some Pube Dye?

7252-P9501.jpg

I didn't even know they made such a thing, but I was browsing MSN.com, and under the gifts for her section, this was actually listed....

Gifts? for Valentines Day.

Personally, I can think of lots of other things I'd much rather get, but to each his own, I guess...

Archived