What is Zeppelinesque

McSeven

In the most literal sense, I guess people use 'zeppelinesque' to describe a group with a powerful rhythm section, a brilliant guitarist (plus awesome riffs), and/or a singer with a very distinctive, nontraditional voice.

But additionally, I think it could describe the charisma of the musicians, their chemistry, the mystique that's born out of a certain magical exclusivity amongst band members.

I don't use the word, personally.

Its not a term I've ever used, but Van Halen comes to mind.

Four man band

Guitar Hero

Sexy front man

strong rhythm section

......very Zeppelinesque

Is that really a Four man band? I consider Zep a Power trio. True that Cream and Rush truly were a power trio in which i believe is a lack of rhythm guitarist.

I think a lot of bands act like Led Zeppelin as far as debauchery goes, but none really sound like them. They had a very unique sound.

That would be a great description of my first husband (Zeppelinesque), who acted like a rock god behind my back for the years we were together, from 1969 to 1980. Notice how the years co-relate.

when i hear that term i've always believed it to be "the sound of" zeppelin, part-brash, part subtle... or perhaps say, a "zeppelinesque passage in the song..." , think deep purple "Perfect Strangers" with it's Kashmir-like rythms...only one of many examples...does's anyone remember "Wait for You" ---very what I would call "zeppelinesque". I never really considered their behavior to fall under the auspices of said phrase...however, that's just from my perspective. How would one judge "their behavior" anyhow? They certainly didn't invent trashing hotel rooms and abusing groupies and...well you get the picture (but they sure did perfect it-hee hee). Without a doubt these were not the only activities these four wonderful gentlemen were involved in from 1968-1980, 24/7.

So I would probably go with it being the sound. But that's just me.

Besides, KMoon probably trashed more crap than lz ever did-all by himself!

Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that the Bonham band did "wait for you"...this is the newbies section, right? 'cause that was for them...

But it is a example that you stated. I understand your meaning, but i wish there was a better way to descibe Zepppelin Lineup. It's a stupid argument to have but most of the bands i love are set up just like Zep.

A stupid argument for sure, but I think you may have just misunderstood me.

I was, in a very quick manner, merely pointing out some similarties between Van Halen and Led Zeppelin.

Both are four man bands, but in no way does that mean all four man bands are Zeppelinesque.

Both bands are led by a riff driven skinny dark haired guitar hero.

Both bands have a golden haired, often times bare chested, sexy (if you will) front man

Both bands have a strong rhythm section.

Thats where the similarties end, as much as I like VH, Led Zeppelin kicks their ass in every way.

This, of course, is just my opinion.

In that respect I could see how you could think they're Zeppelinesque. The guitar work on some songs is very riffy and the solos are powerful. I like them too. Of course the vocals aren't alike:lol:

wow...guess i'm really out of the loop...I've never even heard of them...

edit: "the darkness", that is...

See it's amazing how you got the sarcasm, (Maybe it the love for DMB) but it didnt come off to well in the other thread. This is not PBDrigible It's his er... brother. yeah brother. im writing this for him becasue he has been kicked off, without any given reason. Maybe Sam R likes turtles?

Archived