The Worst Band Ever

kidmoon

The sound of what music? "Classic Rock" isn't a genre, it's a description of a radio format and Led Zeppelin were a very huge part of that format. It's not like it's a genre of music that can be easily defined and decided that Led Zeppelin don't fit, especially since they helped create it. The words "Classic Rock" describe a wide range of artists: Dylan, Santana, Rush, Rare Earth, Yes, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, etc. Any artist that got played with any regularity on album radio in the 70s. Just as Zeppelin themselves cover a wide range of styles, so does that radio format but Led Zeppelin were at the very core of it so how could they not be included? Hell, they helped pioneer album radio by not releasing singles, forcing programmers to chose album cuts instead.

Those artists you mentioned, are people who got their rep before the 80's. So, to answer you, the sound of the music you mentioned. There's my point. Classic rock is old rock. It sounds (generally) like old rock. I find that Zep has more in common, musically, with later bands. Classic Rock stations play the same artists and songs. Its not just a format, its a playlist, a limited one.

Those artists you mentioned, are people who got their rep before the 80's. So, to answer you, the sound of the music you mentioned. There's my point. Classic rock is old rock. It sounds (generally) like old rock. I find that Zep has more in common, musically, with later bands. Classic Rock stations play the same artists and songs. Its not just a format, its a playlist, a limited one.

Playlists consitute a format so you lost me there. You've also completely lost me with your point about Zep not fitting into the Classic Rock mold, a format which they themselves had a hand in creating (whether they were aware of it or not). As for the artists I mentioned, my point wasn't that they'd made their rep prior to the 80s but rather to illustrate the breath of the Classic Rock format and how different they all were from one another, Led Zeppelin included. Sure Zep had some imitators in the 80s (not sure if that's what you're getting at) but even then those bands had a sound rooted in the 60s and 70s, just as Zep did. To my ears Zep took elements of folk, blues, early rock and world music (before it had a name) and expanded on it. In that regard they were years ahead of their time but their sound still fits snuggly beside their peers of the 60s and 70s.

Playlists consitute a format so you lost me there. You've also completely lost me with your point about Zep not fitting into the Classic Rock mold, a format which they themselves had a hand in creating (whether they were aware of it or not). As for the artists I mentioned, my point wasn't that they'd made their rep prior to the 80s but rather to illustrate the breath of the Classic Rock format and how different they all were from one another, Led Zeppelin included. Sure Zep had some imitators in the 80s (not sure if that's what you're getting at) but even then those bands had a sound rooted in the 60s and 70s, just as Zep did. To my ears Zep took elements of folk, blues, early rock and world music (before it had a name) and expanded on it. In that regard they were years ahead of their time but their sound still fits snuggly beside their peers of the 60s and 70s.

Its like heavy metal. Zep is often attributed with helping create it, but they sure don't sound like it. They helped create the clsasic rock playlist, bit I'm saying they fit better in other playlists, to my ears.

I'm not from Georgia, I'm from Chicago. I happen to live here, that's all. Picky yes, but I hate when people assume I was born here.

I lived in Douglasville for a short time. But nobody ever confused me for a Ga. native, with my obvious lack of an accent! :lol:

I must be on Jahfins ignore list as he wont tell me what he thinks of the early Bee Gees?

Never did anything for me though I do love Slobberbone's cover of To Love Somebody. They also did more than a little justice to Neil's Cortez the Killer (sometimes with the Drive-By Truckers joining them onstage). Slobberbone morphed into a totally new band called The Drams who have been known to roam the country, reducing music halls to mere rubble following their performances.

Well thats what I say about Elvis. I dont care how many he has sold, and he has sold plenty. I like Journey. You guys dont. Thats fine. And while Ive got you, you always trash Henley for being greedy. How about this Roger Waters from Floyd. Isnt he one of the ones that screwed those young choir boys out of their fair share on the Wall??

fair share? wtf? they were some kids who went to a school around the corner who were lucky gits who got asked to sing a few lines. thats all, they don't deserve anything. their fair share don't exist. they should consider themsleves to be lucky little gits who got to be on ONE song. a song they didnt write. whats their fair share for? performers rights? in that case there are lots of people who are going to start demanding royalties. i dont see why they should have gotten anything. when they started the legal preceedings they were just being greedy gits. they dont deserve anything. if i was them i would just consider myslef to be extremely lucky. to say that they have a fair share of the wall is totally ridiculous.

fair share? wtf? they were some kids who went to a school around the corner who were lucky gits who got asked to sing a few lines. thats all, they don't deserve anything. their fair share don't exist. they should consider themsleves to be lucky little gits who got to be on ONE song. a song they didnt write. whats their fair share for? performers rights? in that case there are lots of people who are going to start demanding royalties. i dont see why they should have gotten anything. when they started the legal preceedings they were just being greedy gits. they dont deserve anything. if i was them i would just consider myslef to be extremely lucky. to say that they have a fair share of the wall is totally ridiculous.

In part you may be right. But if Waters had any class he would have thrown them a bone. they should have gotten something.

Its like heavy metal. Zep is often attributed with helping create it, but they sure don't sound like it.

Yeah, they do, the problem being that's just one dimension to their sound. Zep's not the only "heavy/hard rock" band to run into that brick wall. Steven Tyler even tried to champion their cause during his induction of Zep into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame by saying "at least one third of their catalog is acoustic".

They helped create the clsasic rock playlist, bit I'm saying they fit better in other playlists, to my ears.

It would sure help to drive your point home if you were actually able to back up your statements with some examples, something you've done a piss poor job of doing so far. You keep saying they don't fit in with "Classic Rock" but don't say where they fit and now you're saying they fit other playlists better but don't cite what type of playlists. Please elaborate.

You used the words "fair share", "lucky" and "greedy" too much.

Henley is a greedy motherfucker. Who cares. A lot of rock stars are greedy motherfuckers. They're rich, pampered, spoiled and entitled and it shows sometimes. Doesn't take away from anyone's talent or abilities. I don't see what being greedy has to do with the argument of "worst band ever" though, since one describes morals and the other, talent.

In my critiques of The Eagles I've addressed the aspects of their music I don't care for as well as Henley's greediness. Not just once but several times. The fact remains, there's plenty of other artist that plowed similiar musical turf that I'd take over the Eagles any day of the week, Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers being chief among them but they're only the tip of the iceberg.

Well you would rate the flying little piggies over the Eagles. There are plenty of us Eagles lovers out there. And Steve Perry too. None of these bands are giving tickets away.

As far as I know Steve Perry is no longer performing (at least not actively). Journey found a sound-a-like singer and continued to tour. Now he's out (after the whole lip synching to old tapes of Steve Perry episode) and they've found their latest singer (again, a Perry clone) via an audition conducted via YouTube. In regards to either Journey or The Eagles not giving tickets away, I've said it before but I'll say it again, just because they may have no problem selling tix (can't speak for Journey as I'm not sure how well they draw) it doesn't mean they don't suck. It's just my personal opinion but I find the majority of The Eagles material to be MOR crap that clogged up the airwaves back in the 70s (and 80s). I like a few tunes but that's about it. Just how many times can we have the exact same conversation? Perhaps you'd be best to just accept the fact that not everyone is going to like the exact same bands as you and move on to other topics already.

In my critiques of The Eagles I've addressed the aspects of their music I don't care for as well as Henley's greediness. Not just once but several times. The fact remains, there's plenty of other artist that plowed similiar musical turf that I'd take over the Eagles any day of the week, Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers being chief among them but they're only the tip of the iceberg.

I wasn't directing that at you. That was a "post in general" post.

Why should it be deleted? If you don't like it, don't read it anymore. Real simple solution. I find it interesting to read what people like and don't like versus what I like and don't like. It's what makes this site a community; we have members with varying interests.

you know, i don't even know you but i think that you are seriously missing out on some great music by not listening to the who, areosmith, or queen. so in summation.. go fuck yourself

Excuse you--I have heard too much from each band, am entitled to my opinion and I think they suck.

Kissy can be somewhat dismissive a few times, yeah - but that's no reason to tell her to go fuck herself. :angry:

I don't know what you're referring to :huh:

I've said it before but I'll say it again, just because they may have no problem selling tix (can't speak for Journey as I'm not sure how well they draw) it doesn't mean they don't suck.

Good point.

Every generation has plenty of acts that fall into this category, and even though we might like more serious, and more talented bands, a few of those kitschy acts end up appealing to us.

It's where the phrase "Guilty Pleasures" comes from.

Now I don't think the Eagles, or Journey were the "Coldplay" of their generation, but they are definitely of the same safe, unadventurous type.

Yeah, they do, the problem being that's just one dimension to their sound. Zep's not the only "heavy/hard rock" band to run into that brick wall. Steven Tyler even tried to champion their cause during his induction of Zep into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame by saying "at least one third of their catalog is acoustic".

It would sure help to drive your point home if you were actually able to back up your statements with some examples, something you've done a piss poor job of doing so far. You keep saying they don't fit in with "Classic Rock" but don't say where they fit and now you're saying they fit other playlists better but don't cite what type of playlists. Please elaborate.

"piss poor", geez. I didn't think this subject merited such a reaction! Yeah they do sound like heavy metal? How do you back that up? It's subjective, its musical taste. Its how it sounds to your ears.

Ok, examples. I don't see Springsteen or Joni Mitchell or Aerosmith, The Eagles etc. coming up with the Sonic craziness found in Zep. Eg. the WWL freak out, the weird middle section to Carouselambra, the odd sounds in Bonzo's Montreaux, the hysterical early singing of Plant. The bands associated with classic rock, or classic rock bands as I call them, largely leave out the freaky elements. It was harder to get on the radio that way. Zep constantly got their freak on, like bands would do after punk much more. Zep sound way more appropriate after Killing Joke, The Cure, Dinosaur Jr., or Human League. Its subjective. If someone finds they go better with Joe Walsh, thats fine. Its not for me though. I would play something by Sisters of Mercy after In The Light. That Zep tune sounds almost goth to me, so playing Foghat after would seem underwhelming to me.

Good point.

Every generation has plenty of acts that fall into this category, and even though we might like more serious, and more talented bands, a few of those kitschy acts end up appealing to us.

It's where the phrase "Guilty Pleasures" comes from.

Now I don't think the Eagles, or Journey were the "Coldplay" of their generation, but they are definitely of the same safe, unadventurous type.

I've just never bought into the "well, they've sold milliions of records worldwide and constantly sell out concerts so they must be the best" philosphy of backing up why I may like a certain artist. The same argument can be made for any number of artists out there but it doesn't mean they're the best damn one on the planet. Teen pop stars like Britney sell tons of records and sell out concerts all the time but that doesn't automatically mean they're good or that I have to like them.

I've just never bought into the "well, they've sold milliions of records worldwide and constantly sell out concerts so they must be the best" philosphy of backing up why I may like a certain artist.

I agree, I don't accept that even where Led Zeppelin is concerned.

"piss poor", geez. I didn't think this subject merited such a reaction!

My point being that up until now you haven't provided any examples to back up what you're saying. Without those examples you haven't done a very good job of backing up your statements.

Yeah they do sound like heavy metal? How do you back that up? It's subjective, its musical taste. Its how it sounds to your ears.

If you read what I said you would see that the "heavy metal" thing is only an element of their sound, I stated that it's also rounded out by other influences. My point being that I could see where people see Led Zeppelin as a heavy metal band because there are most definitely elements of metal in their sound but that's just the point I was trying to make, it's not all there is to them. The same holds true for lots of other artist that are saddled with labels whether it be "heavy metal", "folk rock" or whatever.

Ok, examples. I don't see Springsteen or Joni Mitchell or Aerosmith, The Eagles etc. coming up with the Sonic craziness found in Zep.

I never said they did. It's clear that you've missed my point not only once but several times now as I listed those artists as examples of how wide ranging the radio format of classic rock could be, not as a comparison to Led Zeppelin themselves.

Eg. the WWL freak out, the weird middle section to Carouselambra, the odd sounds in Bonzo's Montreaux, the hysterical early singing of Plant. The bands associated with classic rock, or classic rock bands as I call them, largely leave out the freaky elements. It was harder to get on the radio that way.

There were plenty of artists that pushed those boundaries (such as Zappa, Beefheart, Wild Man Fisher, King Crimson, etc.) but they were much more likely to be heard in the early days of AOR when radio was much more progressive and way before the format of classic rock was invented which is obviously much more conservative. Regardless, they were all Led Zeppelin's peers in the sense that they all came out of the same time period and shared similiar influences.

Zep constantly got their freak on, like bands would do after punk much more. Zep sound way more appropriate after Killing Joke, The Cure, Dinosaur Jr., or Human League. Its subjective. If someone finds they go better with Joe Walsh, thats fine. Its not for me though. I would play something by Sisters of Mercy after In The Light. That Zep tune sounds almost goth to me, so playing Foghat after would seem underwhelming to me.

Although I don't necessarily agree, now we're getting somewhere, you're finally citing examples which is all I have asked for all along. When I see the early promo clip of Communication Breakdown on the Led Zep DVD I can't help but think of the ferociousness of punk. I hear the same thing in the early work of the Who, the Kinks and others from that time period. It's moments like those that help make perfect sense of Page championing the likes of the Damned back in the 70s when the excessiveness of groups like Led Zeppelin were what so many punk bands were raging against.

Archived