The Worst Band Ever

kidmoon

Most people here know I'm from Chicago, I've mentioned it probably a hundred times on this site and the old board.

I said I don't like when people assume I was born in Georgia, I don't care if people think I live here. Because I do live here. Not for much longer though, our family is moving in several months.

And just because it says "from" doesn't mean it's asking you to put your place of birth. It's asking you to put where the post is coming from, i.e., your current location. My posts are coming from Alpharetta, GA. I am not from that location, my posts are from that location. See the difference? Awesome blossom.

I said in another thread somewhere...geez...who said it...but some girl said pussy...I think she was talking about a cat...but still.....I said...not much sexier than hearing a girl say pussy....

Now I have to amend that......hoo-ha is pretty sexy too ! :lol:

hoo-ha !!!! That's great ! :hysterical:

Heh....the band Supergrass is in the midst of getting their new album "Diamond Hoo-Ha Man" ready for release.

Hmm...a diamond hoo-ha. Must belong to a rich bit-uh...er..never mind.

My point being that up until now you haven't provided any examples to back up what you're saying. Without those examples you haven't done a very good job of backing up your statements.

If you read what I said you would see that the "heavy metal" thing is only an element of their sound, I stated that it's also rounded out by other influences. My point being that I could see where people see Led Zeppelin as a heavy metal band because there are most definitely elements of metal in their sound but that's just the point I was trying to make, it's not all there is to them. The same holds true for lots of other artist that are saddled with labels whether it be "heavy metal", "folk rock" or whatever.

I never said they did. It's clear that you've missed my point not only once but several times now as I listed those artists as examples of how wide ranging the radio format of classic rock could be, not as a comparison to Led Zeppelin themselves.

There were plenty of artists that pushed those boundaries (such as Zappa, Beefheart, Wild Man Fisher, King Crimson, etc.) but they were much more likely to be heard in the early days of AOR when radio was much more progressive and way before the format of classic rock was invented which is obviously much more conservative. Regardless, they were all Led Zeppelin's peers in the sense that they all came out of the same time period and shared similiar influences.

Although I don't necessarily agree, now we're getting somewhere, you're finally citing examples which is all I have asked for all along. When I see the early promo clip of Communication Breakdown on the Led Zep DVD I can't help but think of the ferociousness of punk. I hear the same thing in the early work of the Who, the Kinks and others from that time period. It's moments like those that help make perfect sense of Page championing the likes of the Damned back in the 70s when the excessiveness of groups like Led Zeppelin were what so many punk bands were raging against.

Kinda piss poor to say there are definitely elements of metal in Zep, yet not provide examples. Your standards. I understood perfectly well your statement re. some metal in Zep, I just don't agree with you. And, I got your point all along, but its got little to do with what I originally posted. I find the range of classic rock radio quite limited. You write about Beefheart and Zappa, (don't forget the band Can) therby backing me up. These guys are not on classic rock radio, Zep is. Doesn't seem right to me, when hearing the music.

Sorry if you didn't like the lack of examples, but if I can make a point without a lot of text, I will try. Didn't feel it was necessary til the last post.

I liked the last paragraph you wrote, it was interesting. The rest is leaning toward semantics. I can keep answering questions in that vein if you'd like though.

Kinda piss poor to say there are definitely elements of metal in Zep, yet not provide examples. Your standards. I understood perfectly well your statement re. some metal in Zep, I just don't agree with you.

I didn't feel it needed to be pointed out by citing specific examples since you're obviously an avid Zep listener and you yourself have said that you understand that but you don't agree. The point being, however inaccurate, they have been referred to as a "heavy metal" band. In fact, they've even been credited with creating the entire genre. I have gone on to explain that I feel like there is much more to them than that label and that the same holds true for other artists that have been labeled as such.

And, I got your point all along, but its got little to do with what I originally posted. I find the range of classic rock radio quite limited. You write about Beefheart and Zappa, (don't forget the band Can) therby backing me up. These guys are not on classic rock radio, Zep is. Doesn't seem right to me, when hearing the music.

If you read my post I clearly stated I was referring to the early days of album radio, from which the classic rock radio format developed. My main point being, these artists were all contemporaries of Led Zeppelin and drew heavily from each others styles (some more than others). As for the classic rock radio format itself, the playlists differ from market to market with some being more progressive than others while some don't differ at all.

Sorry if you didn't like the lack of examples, but if I can make a point without a lot of text, I will try. Didn't feel it was necessary til the last post.

Thanks for providing the examples because without them I wasn't able to ascertain the point you were trying to make.

I liked the last paragraph you wrote, it was interesting. The rest is leaning toward semantics. I can keep answering questions in that vein if you'd like though.

Not necessary, now that you've provided some concrete examples I understand what you were trying to say much more clearly.

I'm surprised Jethro Tull didn't get any mentions. Go ahead, I can take it.

Hey, they were a great band, saw them in-concert back in the day. I was at a street party in my hometown and the original bass player from Tull was playing with my friends band. A neighbor had hired another band (a Tull tribute band) and the original bass player went up and played with them, it was really fun and surreal!

A lot of people think they suck no matter who's singing. Like it or not, they were the epitome of corporate rock back in the 70s and 80s and even if people didn't admit it then, lots of them hate them now for what they came to represent: forumlaic, uninspired, ready for radio rock. Then there's the infamous Beavis and Butthead bit that illustrated that not every hit rock radio band translated well to the new video medium at the time:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bQbZRMLKozk

OMFG, I remember that shit! Thanks for the laugh...sigh...........Zeppelin could have had some cool videos, but not as cool as the ones we get in our heads when we listen to them.

A lot of people think they suck no matter who's singing. Like it or not, they were the epitome of corporate rock back in the 70s and 80s and even if people didn't admit it then, lots of them hate them now for what they came to represent: forumlaic, uninspired, ready for radio rock. Then there's the infamous Beavis and Butthead bit that illustrated that not every hit rock radio band translated well to the new video medium at the time:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bQbZRMLKozk

I've never seen this video before.. I almost wish you hadn't posted it, then I'd be happily not knowing about it.. :D

:hysterical: :hysterical: And you're listening to... Glenn Miller?

not that i listen to it at all, but when i was growing up, my dad had a healthy record collection...which included many Glenn Miller Orchestra selections...for his day, his band WAS led zeppelin...if you understand my analogy...

"Pardon me boys, is that the Chattanooga Choo-Choo?"

Archived