The Worst Band Ever

kidmoon

I don't like horses. And high altitudes give me nosebleeds (seriously), so I avoid them. That's two strikes.

Two strikes ? Sheeeit !

I hit a homerun on the first pitch !!! :lol:

Seems others here find the humor...where's your's that you profess to have ?

Janes sucks....Jane say's.

Even Jane's addiction knows that......B)

Southern Rock. I'm not counting the Allman Brothers Band in this genre..........they happened to be a rock band from the Southern United States.

I'm talking Outlaws, 38 Special, Lynard Skynard (or however the hell you spell it) and the rest of the dreck that copied the Allman Brothers..............and bastardized what they did in the process.

How could you not include the Allman Brothers Band who are largely considered "The Grandfathers of Southern Rock"? Yes, Gregg Allman has been quoted as saying "Southern Rock" is redundant and like saying "Rock Rock" since rock n' roll was born in the South but every artist ever saddled with that label (or any label for that matter) has at one time tried to distance themselves from it including Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet and others. As for copying the Allmans, in one breath you separate the Allmans from Southern Rock and in the next accuse every other act that followed in their footsteps of copying them. So, if the Allmans are somehow above the Southern Rock mantle how can the others be accused of copying them? For one, I don't hear any similarity between Skynyrd and the Allmans. The Allmans drew directly from American blues while Skynyrd drew from British blues-based artists such as Cream and Free that were influenced by American blues. As for the rest, they all had their own distinctions, especially groups like Sea Level, the Dixie Dregs and the Marshall Tucker Band who oftentimes leaned heavily towards jazz instead of blues, rock and country like so many other Southern Rock acts did.

Sea Level were a great band !! :thumbsup:

Chuck Levell, Lamar Williams and Jaimoe....all from the Allman's ! I saw them at MTSU in Murfreesboro in Jan of '78 and they smoked the Dramatic Arts auditorium ! I got the first sold ticket and sure enough, it had 0001 on it !! :D

I loved Marshall Tucker's greatest hits album. Wasnt it the Caldwell bros? And didnt one of them die tragecally? I cant remember the circumstances. I thought one was shot or something?

The Marshall Tucker Band is still together but the only original member is lead singer Doug Gray. Yes, Tommy and Toy Caldwell were both in the band and yes, they have both since passed away. As for the "tragic" aspects of their deaths, anytime someone dies I consider it a tragedy. As for the details, I'm sure a simple search online will do it. Other members have been lost along the way, most recently George McCorkle. To me, they lost their spirit when Toy died but I understand their new albums sounds more like the Marshall Tucker Band than they have in years.

Thanks for the info. Im almost positive one died of a gunshot. Just dont remember whether or not it was self inflicted. They were a damn good band. I loved that flute solo in "Heard it in a Love Song". One of my favs by them.

To the best of my knowledge no one in the Marshall Tucker Band died of a gunshot wound, self-inflicted or otherwise. BTW, it took me all of about five seconds to find their band bio online:

http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/marshall_tucker_band/bio.jhtml

Mickey Hart or Mickey Thomas? Mickey Hart was one of the drummers from the Grateful Dead. I've always thought he bore a slight resemblence to Leonard Nimoy.

hp_mickey_hart_the_global_drum_project_95012.jpg0_61_spock.jpg

oops! sorry 'bout that! Problem is, I've never been a big fan of the j airplane and it's hundred offshoots (Snot tuna, Starshit, etc)...point being that every time i heard the song "Jane" I always thought that was a woman singing...and "We built this city" = :wtf:

oops! sorry 'bout that! Problem is, I've never been a big fan of the j airplane and it's hundred offshoots (Snot tuna, Starshit, etc)...point being that every time i heard the song "Jane" I always thought that was a woman singing...and "We built this city" = :wtf:

No problem but Snot Tuna? I may be in the minority but always thought Hot Tuna were pretty good.

No problem but Snot Tuna? I may be in the minority but always thought Hot Tuna were pretty good.

and actually i was tryin' to be funny...i guess it wasn't. In fact, i never knew that hot tuna was an offshoot of jefferson airplane until recently. I couldn't even tell you their most popular song...sorry

How could you not include the Allman Brothers Band who are largely considered "The Grandfathers of Southern Rock"? Yes, Gregg Allman has been quoted as saying "Southern Rock" is redundant and like saying "Rock Rock" since rock n' roll was born in the South but every artist ever saddled with that label (or any label for that matter) has at one time tried to distance themselves from it including Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet and others. As for copying the Allmans, in one breath you separate the Allmans from Southern Rock and in the next accuse every other act that followed in their footsteps of copying them. So, if the Allmans are somehow above the Southern Rock mantle how can the others be accused of copying them? For one, I don't hear any similarity between Skynyrd and the Allmans. The Allmans drew directly from American blues while Skynyrd drew from British blues-based artists such as Cream and Free that were influenced by American blues. As for the rest, they all had their own distinctions, especially groups like Sea Level, the Dixie Dregs and the Marshall Tucker Band who oftentimes leaned heavily towards jazz instead of blues, rock and country like so many other Southern Rock acts did.

Well put Jahfin. Allmans not a Southern Rock band, yeah right..

What these bands have in common is that they are all rock bands from the south and they play some form of guitar driven rock. But on the other hand that's almost the only thing they have in common.

For example, Allman Brothers built their live shows on long jams while Lynyrd Skynyrd rehearsed their songs and played them exactly the same every show. The Outlaws use harmonies reminiscent of The Beatles while Lynyrd Skynyrd use female background singers which is influenced by the soul and gospel of the south, call and response type of vocal (probably thanks to the Muscle Shoals recordings).

Give it a listen and you will probably find that there's a lot of these bands that are great, and of course, some that you still won't like for some reason or another..

If all off-shoots of Jefferson Airplane are supposed to be bad I wonder what they think about the impeccable Mr. Papa John Creach?

JOHN2.jpg

One "Filthy Funky" Guy.... and a master B)

Well put Jahfin. Allmans not a Southern Rock band, yeah right..

What these bands have in common is that they are all rock bands from the south and they play some form of guitar driven rock. But on the other hand that's almost the only thing they have in common.

For example, Allman Brothers built their live shows on long jams while Lynyrd Skynyrd rehearsed their songs and played them exactly the same every show. The Outlaws use harmonies reminiscent of The Beatles while Lynyrd Skynyrd use female background singers which is influenced by the soul and gospel of the south, call and response type of vocal (probably thanks to the Muscle Shoals recordings).

Give it a listen and you will probably find that there's a lot of these bands that are great, and of course, some that you still won't like for some reason or another..

I agree, dismissing an entire genre (subgenre?) like that is sorta like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Sure there were some imitators but you're going to have that any time a certain type of music becomes popular.

Seems like we're a minority of two... 'cause I love that band! They're freakin' great!

If you read a few posts back the person that made the "Snot Tuna" comment admits to not even knowing they were Jefferson Airplane-related until recently and in addition to that, they can't even name any of their songs. It was an attempt to be funny that failed miserably.

Archived