The Worst Band Ever

kidmoon

The Grateful Dead. No offense to fans of the Grateful Dead. I just don't "get it."

No offense taken, they're not for everybody. That said, I'm one of the rare fans that actually enjoys their studio material to a lot of their live stuff. Even though Workingmans Dead was among the very first albums I bought as a kid back in the early 70s it wasn't until recent years that I acquired their entire catalog thanks to The Golden Road and Beyond Description box sets on Rhino. In going through those albums I'm only now seeing how some of their songs do work much better in concert than on record but it's taken me years to come to that realization. Then, there's the whole "parking lot" side to the Dead where you had this traveling community that followed them from town to town. Hell, you could go to a Grateful Dead show and have the time of your life without ever even entering the stadium.

Everyone I used to hang out with were Deadheads. I spent years arguing with them about the Dead vs. Zep, but I miss hearing Dead songs and jams now. They introduced me to the music of the Airplane and Hot Tuna. I had to be dragged to go see some guy named Jorma... the thought of wasting my night listening to one guy on stage with just an acoustic guitar was unfathomable back then - but man, he tore it up!

Everyone I used to hang out with were Deadheads. I spent years arguing with them about the Dead vs. Zep, but I miss hearing Dead songs and jams now. They introduced me to the music of the Airplane and Hot Tuna. I had to be dragged to go see some guy named Jorma... the thought of wasting my night listening to one guy on stage with just an acoustic guitar was unfathomable back then - but man, he tore it up!

I could never even think of utttering something like Dead vs Zep.....go figure! :)

No offense taken, they're not for everybody. That said, I'm one of the rare fans that actually enjoys their studio material to a lot of their live stuff. Even though Workingmans Dead was among the very first albums I bought as a kid back in the early 70s it wasn't until recent years that I acquired their entire catalog thanks to The Golden Road and Beyond Description box sets on Rhino. In going through those albums I'm only now seeing how some of their songs do work much better in concert than on record but it's taken me years to come to that realization. Then, there's the whole "parking lot" side to the Dead where you had this traveling community that followed them from town to town. Hell, you could go to a Grateful Dead show and have the time of your life without ever even entering the stadium.

Right on bro!!! :)

"Once a Deadhead always a Deadhead"!

JERRYEARLYDEAD.jpg

The WORST band ever? The Beautiful South. And W*A*S*P.

You stole my thunder as I was going to say WASP too :blink:

But now I think of it I will say The Proclaimers.....pile o shite :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
any EMO bands - i think they're bunch of posers,

hiphop/rap - bunch of crap

and death metal - and a bunch of noise!

Sorry mum.

You can't dismiss whole genre's (it's in the rules). I'm not a keen fan of any of these but can definitely pick albums/bands that i like within.

Open your mind Man! :hippy:

Open your mind Man! :hippy:

I heartily agree with this. It is good to keep an open mind and not dismiss everything within a genre.

Also, it's good to remind yourself that just because a band doesn't appeal to your tastes doesn't mean it's bad (The Who - sorry, I only like a tiny fraction of their stuff) and just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it's good (there's a lot of bad music from the 80's I can't turn off because of the Exposure Effect).

i was surprised to see no one stick up for bob seger. though he should probably throw half his discography into a fire lake. he's still a legend and put out some great stuff earlier in his career.

bands i hate. i am really hating newer stuff. it's not so much the band's fault themselves

in every case. it's the production that is sickening. this squashed noisy monotonous

sound. no instraments have tone or breathing space anymore. it sucks too that a lot of older music is being remastered to achieve a similar effect to stay in line with today's market.

was surprised to see no one stick up for bob seger. though he should probably throw half his discography into a fire lake. he's still a legend and put out some great stuff earlier in his career.

Like these two.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHP_ba8aaiw

Stynx wins hands down for me though. My stomach literally churns when I hear "Mr. Roboto"

Stynx wins hands down for me though. My stomach literally churns when I hear "Mr. Roboto"

When "Mr. Roboto" came out, I was interning (for a college course) at a Top 40 radio station, and the music director (as well as most of the people at the station) absolutely hated that song! But, it was on the charts, and the station had to play it.

The station didn't play the songs off records, they recorded the song onto a cartridge and gave it to the DJs to play. It was the music director's job to do this, and I happened to be there when she recorded it onto the cartridge. When she played it back to see how it sounded, we were laughing about what a piece of crap song it was. She got a phone call & stopped the player to take it. I left the room & returned a while later.

Just as I was getting ready to leave, the music director told me to wait because the station was about to premiere the song. Laughing, she turned up the speaker volume. The DJ said "here's the new song from Styx- "Mr. Roboto"! Unfortunately, the music director had not finished listening to the song after her phone call, and had removed the cartridge from the machine to give to the DJ, so the song started right near the end- the DJ was not too happy as he had to scramble to get another song on the air!

Led Zeppelin :lol: Just kiddin. . . . Dont kill me PLZ. . . :hippy:. . .

Seriously now. 90 % of the modern music makes me realy green. .. . . I hate J.Lo, Fallout boy, Tokio Hotel and many others. . . . . . Now the worst band i've ever heard. . . . . Night WIsh or Nightwish.... i dont know how they spell their name. . . . . Their music and the voice of the Chick, i mean the lead singer makes me realy sick. . . . . I hate gothic metal and especialy hate nightwish or Night Wish. . . . . .

What band/songwriter, when you hear their music, makes you want to leave the room, change the station (but, really, who listens to radio anymore?), or tell your buddy his taste in music needs serious revamping?

I, for one, cannot tolerate the Mars Volta. I despise this band. Many people find these guys "cutting edge" or "creative". To each his own, I suppose. Surely I can't be the only one to believe their "music" to be utter garbage.

If you've never heard them, just imagine a decent riff/melody. This melody spans for, oh, about 45 seconds to a minute and a half, then disintegrates into about 6 - 15 minutes of absolutely horrifying "soloing". By "soloing" I mean aimless clanks & various other sounds. I'm not even sure if the song is bookended by the initial melody, for I can never make it through the entire thing.

Please, Mars Volta, stop trying to be innovative.

Oh, I nearly forgot the Decemberists. This band is the embodiment of pompousness. But they're so "literary", right? Wrong.

So, what band spoils your breakfast? Feel free to vent.

Do not listen to this. They have one album that is even remotely like this, and the music on it is pretty well amazing, they just need to cut out the bull. The rest of their albums are pretty well actual music.

Their guitarist's lead style owes much to Jimmy Page.

Led Zeppelin :lol: Just kiddin. . . . Dont kill me PLZ. . . :hippy:. . .

Seriously now. 90 % of the modern music makes me realy green. .. . . I hate J.Lo, Fallout boy, Tokio Hotel and many others. . . . . . Now the worst band i've ever heard. . . . . Night WIsh or Nightwish.... i dont know how they spell their name. . . . . Their music and the voice of the Chick, i mean the lead singer makes me realy sick. . . . . I hate gothic metal and especialy hate nightwish or Night Wish. . . . . .

I agree! The music today really sucks!

Everyone sounds so lame!

None of it has any balls! B)

Archived