The Worst Band Ever

kidmoon

R.E.M. I know that John Paul Jones has worked with them in the past but I cannot stand this band. I think that their music is just terrible. And having Michael Stipe as a front man is just ridiculous. Of course this is MY opinion. Remember this is a LED ZEPPELIN site first and foremost. LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN!!!!!

R.E.M. I know that John Paul Jones has worked with them in the past but I cannot stand this band. I think that their music is just terrible. And having Michael Stipe as a front man is just ridiculous. Of course this is MY opinion. Remember this is a LED ZEPPELIN site first and foremost. LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN!!!!!

To each their own but I am curious as to how having Stipe as a frontman is "ridiculous". And yes, this is a Zep site but it doesn't mean all of us (myself included) worship at their feet.

To each their own but I am curious as to how having Stipe as a frontman is "ridiculous". And yes, this is a Zep site but it doesn't mean all of us (myself included) worship at their feet.

I certainly did not mean to insult anybody or any fans of R.E.M.. I just personally cannot stand this band or their music. When I said that "having Stipe as a frontman is 'ridiculous' " I meant that he does nothing for me as a singer, performer or frontman. I guess it is my opinion of him as not being charismatic, too political, and too self-absorbed. Again, in my opinion, R.E.M. is and was too much hype and not alot of substance during the days when MTV played pretty much the same videos over and over again. Alot of decent groups fell into this category but some had the right sound and music to overcome the hype. To me, R.E.M. was the worst of them all.

Tatu or Milli Vanilli.

BTW, if a band actually plays instrutments, it's hard to say they are the worst ever. You might not dig their music but anyone that is a musician deserves a little bit of respect. Both R.E.M. and KISS are far from being the worst ever. I love both of these bands and if anyone one on here saw either live, you wouldn't say they suck.

I certainly did not mean to insult anybody or any fans of R.E.M.. I just personally cannot stand this band or their music. When I said that "having Stipe as a frontman is 'ridiculous' " I meant that he does nothing for me as a singer, performer or frontman. I guess it is my opinion of him as not being charismatic, too political, and too self-absorbed. Again, in my opinion, R.E.M. is and was too much hype and not alot of substance during the days when MTV played pretty much the same videos over and over again. Alot of decent groups fell into this category but some had the right sound and music to overcome the hype. To me, R.E.M. was the worst of them all.

I'm not offended. I guess I'm just curious about the difference between what attracts a person to an artist and what turns people off to an artist (whether it be R.E.M. or whoever).

For me, they stood out like a sore thumb in the early 80s as far as what was popular on MTV and pop music in general then. Most of what was getting the attention then were the synth pop type bands such as Flock of Seagulls, the Human League, Duran Duran, etc. To my ears R.E.M. had a very earthy sound that set them apart early on. They were also critics darlings so yes, there was some hype but in this case I feel it was warranted. And yes, they railed against the system be it political or the machinations of the record industry but in the end, they did it their own way. I've always admired them for that whether or not I ever saw eye-to-eye with them from a political standpoint. For better or worse, they (along with U2 and several others such as the Cure) helped open up the airwaves to something beyond the trendy new wave of the day and in turn paved the way for other so-called "alternative" artists to follow. I often see the 80s as a whole dismissed on this board when I see it quite differently. That was a very heady time for me as far as discovering new artists. In addition to R.E.M. there was also the Replacements, the Del Fuegos, Guadalcanal Diary, the Blasters, X, Los Lobos, the Plimsouls, the Cruzados, the Long Ryders, Lone Justice and many, many more. It wasn't all skinny-tie, synth pop artists that were popular on MTV.

I've never been a big REM fan but there are definitely worse bands out there. If I have any issue with them is they were kind of at the lighter edge of the "paisley underground" scene, though I think they've always tried to distance themselves from that label. But only because the bands that typified that movement were freakin' great. While REM may have been the most visable band of what started out as alternative bands like The Leaving Trains, Dream Syndicate and The Pandoras were more interesting.

Archived