The Worst Band Ever

kidmoon

I don't care how huge of a success either of them are or how many people you know that like them, that doesn't sway people's personal opinions one bit. An artist can sell billions of records but that doesn't mean they are free of detractors.

As has been said, don't take these critiques as a personal attack as they're not meant that way at all, they're directed totally at the bands themselves.

Well thats what I say about Elvis. I dont care how many he has sold, and he has sold plenty. I like Journey. You guys dont. Thats fine. And while Ive got you, you always trash Henley for being greedy. How about this Roger Waters from Floyd. Isnt he one of the ones that screwed those young choir boys out of their fair share on the Wall??

Well thats what I say about Elvis. I dont care how many he has sold, and he has sold plenty.

Yeah but when it comes to Elvis, I don't care how many records he sold (or not), I'm still a fan of his early work and feel he had a very profound influence on all that followed (and continues to this day). I'm not trying to convince you (or others) to like him, just saying why I hold him in such high regard.

I like Journey. You guys dont. Thats fine.

I don't hate Journey or the majority of the bands mentioned in this thread. It takes a whole lot, like racial slurs or downright hate on the part of the artist themselves to stir similiar emotions in me. I even own records by some of the so-called "corporate" bands from the 70s we've discussed but as I've previously mentioned I just don't think as highly of them as I do other artists from the same era. In some circles it's "hip" to totally disregard what's come to be known as "Classic Rock". I'm not one of those. Much of what I listened to back then helped to form the foundation of what I listen to now. Plus, there's the fact that some music simply doesn't have that "timeless" quality and just doesn't hold up so well through the years.

And while Ive got you, you always trash Henley for being greedy. How about this Roger Waters from Floyd. Isnt he one of the ones that screwed those young choir boys out of their fair share on the Wall??

Henley isn't the only one that's cornered the market on greed but my main beef with him is how he and the Eagles paved the way for the high ticket prices we see today. Prior to their neverending Hell Freezes Over Tour you didn't see those kind of prices. He took a hint from one of Barbara Striesand's "farewell" concerts and ran with it. It may have been very astute of him from a buisnessman's point of view but as an avid concertgoer I frown upon that type of behavior. I've said it before but so did Page and Plant, who purposely kept ticket prices down for their Unledded Tour as a direct response to the Eagles' charging way too fucking much. Others, such as the Black Crowes, Green Day, Pearl Jam, R.E.M. have also gone a long way towards fighting Ticketmaster in order to keep ticket prices affordable for the average fan. Artists that go to such lengths to fight the powers that be are much more likely to earn my respect than someone like Henley, who is much more likely to try figure out even more ways to squeeze every last dollar out of their fans.

Snow Patrol. Even the name makes me feel nauseous. Which doesn't help, since all my friends love them. And I don't like Emo, it's too depressing. And Rap? Again the nausea. Actually, most of the stuff nowadays is quite horrible. But that's my opinion. I'm just not a fan of flabby, soft rock.

But I ADORE Duran Duran( The Reflex!), Foreigner and them. And I also like REO Speedwagon - but they are a guilty pleasure band through and through. And who on earth said Bad Company? They're great!

The Rolling Stones: like some of their early stuff, but that's it. ANd I don't think Dylan can sing.

Yeah but when it comes to Elvis, I don't care how many records he sold (or not), I'm still a fan of his early work and feel he had a very profound influence on all that followed (and continues to this day). I'm not trying to convince you (or others) to like him, just saying why I hold him in such high regard.

I don't hate Journey or the majority of the bands mentioned in this thread. It takes a whole lot, like racial slurs or downright hate on the part of the artist themselves to stir similiar emotions in me. I even own records by some of the so-called "corporate" bands from the 70s we've discussed but as I've previously mentioned I just don't think as highly of them as I do other artists from the same era. In some circles it's "hip" to totally disregard what's come to be known as "Classic Rock". I'm not one of those. Much of what I listened to back then helped to form the foundation of what I listen to now. Plus, there's the fact that some music simply doesn't have that "timeless" quality and just doesn't hold up so well through the years.

Henley isn't the only one that's cornered the market on greed but my main beef with him is how he and the Eagles paved the way for the high ticket prices we see today. Prior to their neverending Hell Freezes Over Tour you didn't see those kind of prices. He took a hint from one of Barbara Striesand's "farewell" concerts and ran with it. It may have been very astute of him from a buisnessman's point of view but as an avid concertgoer I frown upon that type of behavior. I've said it before but so did Page and Plant, who purposely kept ticket prices down for their Unledded Tour as a direct response to the Eagles' charging way too fucking much. Others, such as the Black Crowes, Green Day, Pearl Jam, R.E.M. have also gone a long way towards fighting Ticketmaster in order to keep ticket prices affordable for the average fan. Artists that go to such lengths to fight the powers that be are much more likely to earn my respect than someone like Henley, who is much more likely to try figure out even more ways to squeeze every last dollar out of their fans.

Perhaps he is greedy. But then I look at prices of bands that are not in their league and think if they can charge this much the big bands can to. If and when there is a Led Zeppelin reuinion in the United States, i assure you there will be no mercy on the prices. Get ready to pay big time. And I say that Waters is just as greedy as Henley. I didnt point to you as hating Journey. It was Joelman that said it. And says he hates Styz too. I just dont see why. Ive heard much worse.

Perhaps he is greedy. But then I look at prices of bands that are not in their league and think if they can charge this much the big bands can to.

You have to figure inflation in there too and the fact that the industry (not just the concert aspect) is suffering. You're not going pay $10 a ticket anymore like you used to in the 70s and early 80s, it's just not going to happen. There are, however, artists like the ones I mentioned who do make an effort to keep ticket prices at a reasonable level. I don't even go to that many big (meaning arena-size) shows anymore but when I do, I feel much better about spending my money on someone like Pearl Jam than an artist that's just out to make as much money as possible.

If and when there is a Led Zeppelin reuinion in the United States, i assure you there will be no mercy on the prices. Get ready to pay big time.

I agree but what a refreshing change of pace it would be if they chose not to go that route? What a great big fuck you it would send to artists like Henley who are only concerned about the bottom line.

And I say that Waters is just as greedy as Henley.

I don't dispute that. As I said, Henley isn't the only greedy one out there but by the same token Pink Floyd aren't regrouping for the neverending reunion tour to suck every last dollar out of their fans.

I didnt point to you as hating Journey. It was Joelman that said it. And says he hates Styz too. I just dont see why. Ive heard much worse.

It's been said before but I guess it bares saying again, it all boils down to personal opinion. You don't like Elvis, he doesn't care for the corporate rock of the 70s. To this day I still don't mind some of the early to mid period Styx. I'd be lying to you if I said I never cranked up Lorelei or Blue Collar Man. It was when they got to the utter crap like Babe and Too Much Time on My Hands that things began to go south. As you can see from the Behind the Music special, this is also when tensions began to rise in the band and for good reason, Mr. Roboto was the suck heard around the world.

That's the problem, you have to dig miles to find something worthwhile. That's why I stick with the good ol' stuff :)

Not necessarily. If you have a computer (which you obvioiusly do) there are no shortage of radio stations you can pick up online such as KGSR out of Austin and KEXP out of Seattle that are full of very worthwhile playlists that veer from the norm and those are but two examples. There's also satellite radio (also available online) that offer a haven for artists to be heard that wouldn't be played on commercial radio. It also goes for music from older artists that wouldn't stand a chance on commercial radio these days. Case in point, the new Jack Bruce/Robin Trower album I created a thread for recently. Bridge of Sighs is a rock n' roll classic of the highest proportions but that doesn't assure Trower of airplay in this day and age of target demographics. On XM's Deep Tracks channel it's not unusual at all to hear current cuts from the likes of Trower, Deep Purple, Kerry Livgren or other aging (and new) artists that commercial radio has long since written off. There's also MySpace. It may have a reputation as being teenage oriented and emo oriented but that's not all that's available on there, far from it. Practically every band, no matter how large or how small is represented by a MySpace site. Hard to find? Perhaps to a degree but the vast majority of new music is just a click away. It just takes the effort to take the plunge and the desire to actually hear some new music.

That's the problem, you have to dig miles to find something worthwhile. That's why I stick with the good ol' stuff :)

A lot of the CD's I own are of bands I had never even heard of 5 years ago and would probably never have discovered them at all if it wasn't for the internet. I just browse a lot of music forums and check out other people's recommendations. The majority of bands seem to have a myspace where you can listen to some of their tracks.

Another one I almost forgot... Goo Goo Dolls.

Oh... and The Cure and Morrissey too!

And 95% of that "southern rock" crapfest.... Black Foot, 38 Special , Molly Hatchett , ZZ Top , The Eagles, The Outlaws AND The Doobie Brothers! Hate them all.

Another one I almost forgot... Goo Goo Dolls.

Oh... and The Cure and Morrissey too!

And 95% of that "southern rock" crapfest.... Black Foot, 38 Special , Molly Hatchett , ZZ Top , The Eagles, The Outlaws AND The Doobie Brothers! Hate them all.

Uh oh !!! I know who you can espect to hear from now !! B)

Of those however...I like ZZ Top, and some of the Doobies...but the rest...yep...I'm with you. Love the Allmans and some of the Marshall Tucker Band too...but those other 'hanger's on's'......I don't listen to them...and I'm in NASHVILLE !!! To diss them is heresy here !!! :lol:

Anybody who thinks the Ramones are trash need to listen to a song called "She's A Sensation". I know it's on the two CD anthology. Absolute brilliance. They even (openly) steal a riff from The Who on the song.

Correction... the song is "It's Not My Place(in the 9 to 5 World). It uses the music from an old Who song with Ramones lyrics. Just trying to keep it real.

The Eagles and the Doobie Brothers were southern rock? On what planet?

I was wondering the same thing. Then again I've also seen Little Feat, CCR, Pure Prairie League, Foghat and several other artists referred to as "Southern Rock". I guess they're going more by sound than the bands' actual geographical location.

Southern rock to me is Lynyrd Skynyrd, .38 Special, George Thoroughgood, ZZ Top (maybe).....not the Eagles. The Eagles weren't even really "rock" music until Hotel California and The Long Run (coincidentally when they gained Joe Walsh), although some elements of their preceding albums did have rock influences. The Doobie Brothers were rock music, but more "classic" rock than anything else. Granted by the time Michael McDonald joined the band, they veered into soft rock territory, as much as I love "What A Fool Believes".

Southern rock to me is Lynyrd Skynyrd, .38 Special, George Thoroughgood, ZZ Top (maybe).....not the Eagles. The Eagles weren't even really "rock" music until Hotel California and The Long Run (coincidentally when they gained Joe Walsh), although some elements of their preceding albums did have rock influences. The Doobie Brothers were rock music, but more "classic" rock than anything else. Granted by the time Michael McDonald joined the band, they veered into soft rock territory, as much as I love "What A Fool Believes".

I can't say I've ever thought of George Thorogood and the Destroyers as "Southern Rock" either, especially since they're from Delaware. Sure, they have some of the same rowdy elements of Southern Rock but they always struck me more as an amped version of 50s rock, R & B and blues than anything even remotely approaching Southern Rock. As for the Eagles and the Doobie Brothers I always thought of them as along the same lines of other Southern California "lite rock" groups such as Loggins and Messina and latter day Fleetwood Mac.

Most classic rock is on my bad bands list. I find it misrepresents Zep that they are so often lumped in with that type of music. I love 80s and 90s alternative, and find they fit in nicely there.

I don't like the Stones, in that type of music, or Aerosmith. I don't like Coverdale Page. I also don't like The Goo Goo Dolls or Nickelback. I don't like Underworld because of that song they did on the Trainspotting soundtrack.

I don't like Phil Collins. I don't like Green Day.

Most classic rock is on my bad bands list. I find it misrepresents Zep that they are so often lumped in with that type of music.

"Classic Rock" isn't a type of music, it's a radio format. The reason Zep are "lumped in" with groups from that era is because they are among the artists first featured on album radio (back when that term actually meant something).

Most classic rock is on my bad bands list. I find it misrepresents Zep that they are so often lumped in with that type of music. I love 80s and 90s alternative, and find they fit in nicely there.

I don't like the Stones, in that type of music, or Aerosmith. I don't like Coverdale Page. I also don't like The Goo Goo Dolls or Nickelback. I don't like Underworld because of that song they did on the Trainspotting soundtrack.

I don't like Phil Collins. I don't like Green Day.

We are mostly influenced by what we listen to when we are young.I am of the 70's, my main influence on taste.Like alot of 80's and 90's bands but most of them have an influence of 70's in them.It usually comes back to music that has some basis in the blues.you can dress it up whatever way,blues is probably at the base of it.I'm not much into hip hop ,a few songs here and there.If I was 13 now I would probably like it.would have been what was thrown at me most of the time.

Archived