Led Zeppelin Tabs

MS1

I think that is correct. Its always confusing with numbering strings. Some people count 1-6 from the low E going down to the high e. Technically the 1 string is the high e. But when somone lists a tuning I think they usually go from the low E string in standard going downwards. This standard is defined as EADGBE. Technically they are counting it going from 6-1, or low to high. Now are you good and confused? :P

yeah, string 1 being thinnest and string 6 being fat bass like :lol:

all i know is when i go to play kashmir i tune the second string from the bottom (:lol:) to the 3rd string from the bottom 2nd fret, then tune number 1 string to 2nd string 5th fret. And that does me justice B)

edit: oh yeah forgot the 6th string dropped aswell :bagoverhead:

I know. I know. Do you have a migraine yet? Its tough when you dont have the damn guitar in front of you to explain somtimes. All these tunings! I need 6 Les Pauls!

:lol: yeah i wasn't confused until i just re-read all the posts haha. Forget 6, i need my first one :'(

on a completely different note and standard tuning :yay:

how do you play babe im gonna leave you? do you use your thumb for the 1st fret sixth string? or even 2nd and 1st fret sixth string? or not even at all?

i can't seem to play it properly unless i use my thumb for 1st fret sixth string, but i also started out playing it without my thumb at all <_<

Also do you fingerpick it? or use a pick?

:lol: yeah i wasn't confused until i just re-read all the posts haha. Forget 6, i need my first one :'(

on a completely different note and standard tuning :yay:

how do you play babe im gonna leave you? do you use your thumb for the 1st fret sixth string? or even 2nd and 1st fret sixth string? or not even at all?

i can't seem to play it properly unless i use my thumb for 1st fret sixth string, but i also started out playing it without my thumb at all <_<

Also do you fingerpick it? or use a pick?

I do that too!

I fingerpick it, pick sounds kind of 'harsh.'

I hate tab! Train your ears people!

Sorry, not to be snobbish, they just didn't have tab when I had to figure it out for myself. I'm forever embittered! :lol:

Lucky bastards got it all written out for them...oh is this still on? My bad. :bagoverhead:

Sorry, not to be snobbish, they just didn't have tab when I had to figure it out for myself. I'm forever embittered! :lol:

Lucky bastards got it all written out for them...oh is this still on? My bad. :bagoverhead:

:lol:

I know, I never use tab either. Its way more fun and rewarding to figure things out on your own. Tabs are often wrong, and you're not really learning anything about music from them either.

P.S. Are you bitter because you had to learn Rain Song in standard tuning? Ouuch. :lol:

For Going To California drop both E strings to D. According to my tab book, anyways!

P.S. I would scan some pages from my book, but on each page it has Guitar 1, Guitar 2, Mandolin 1, and Mandolin 2 parts, so literally only one line of the song is transcribed per page!! The whole thing is 24 pages!! :wacko:

What book is that? I'm a beginning guitar player and I've been trying to find easy to follow tabs for Going to California forever. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

What book is that? I'm a beginning guitar player and I've been trying to find easy to follow tabs for Going to California forever. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Its called Led Zeppelin Classics.

Here's a pic of the cover:

4143ES8A2JL._AA240_.jpg

I haven't really sat down with this book and learned many things from it. Mostly because I already knew most of the songs in it when the book was given to me! :lol: So I can't really say whether its worth buying or not cause I haven't studied it enough. I find that some of it isn't very easy to follow; as I mentioned before about Going To California, the whole song is 24 pages long because it tabs out all kinds of guitar and mandolin parts that I didn't even know were there. :lol: And in Stairway to Heaven it transcribes the flute part for guitar! It has both tab and music, with complete solos, pretty much every little nuance of the song. I guess this book is good because it goes into so much detail.. I personally think its a little too much detail and a little overwhelming! That's just me though, I guess there are some who would appreciate all of that.

Here's the songs that are in it:

Black Dog

Black Mountain Side

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

Celebration Day

Communication Breakdown

Dazed and Confused

Friends

Going to California

Good Times Bad Times

Heartbreaker

Immigrant Song

Misty Mountain Hop

Ramble On

Stairway to Heaven

What is and What Should Never Be

Whole Lotta Love

Anyway I could try scanning some pages from Going to California if you like?

4143ES8A2JL._AA240_.jpg

I haven't really sat down with this book and learned many things from it. Mostly because I already knew most of the songs in it when the book was given to me! :lol: So I can't really say whether its worth buying or not cause I haven't studied it enough. I find that some of it isn't very easy to follow; as I mentioned before about Going To California, the whole song is 24 pages long because it tabs out all kinds of guitar and mandolin parts that I didn't even know were there. :lol: And in Stairway to Heaven it transcribes the flute part for guitar! It has both tab and music, with complete solos, pretty much every little nuance of the song. I guess this book is good because it goes into so much detail.. I personally think its a little too much detail and a little overwhelming! That's just me though, I guess there are some who would appreciate all of that.

Black Dog

Black Mountain Side

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

Celebration Day

Communication Breakdown

Dazed and Confused

Friends

Going to California

Good Times Bad Times

Heartbreaker

Immigrant Song

Misty Mountain Hop

Ramble On

Stairway to Heaven

Whole Lotta Love

:cheer: Thank you for all that information :o That's so sweet of you to offer. Maybe the first 2 pages when you have a chance and I can see if I can make heads or tails with it. The thing is, I'm not that good a guitar player at this point to be able to figure it out by listening. I can do that on the piano okay but not the git. It's just one of my fave Zep tunes and I've always wanted to play it. My neighbors may have a different idea. They don't take too fondly living below a musician with many loud instruments :lol::rolleyes:

4143ES8A2JL._AA240_.jpg

Black Dog

Black Mountain Side

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

Celebration Day

Communication Breakdown

Dazed and Confused

Friends

Going to California

Good Times Bad Times

Heartbreaker

Immigrant Song

Misty Mountain Hop

Ramble On

Stairway to Heaven

Whole Lotta Love

Yeah i really like this book, but iv'e only found it useful on the following songs

Black Mountain Side

Communication Breakdown

Dazed and Confused

Good Times Bad Times

Heartbreaker

Stairway to Heaven

Whole Lotta Love

And some of those i really didnt pay too much attention to. It's mainly the solo's that are good in here because they are very accurate. Bron yr Aur was on the weirdest tuning ever and also with a capo so i didnt bother... Black Dog i play differently, Celebration day is tabbed different than ive seen jimmy play so i wasnt too keen. Ramble on has way too many guitars to keep track of. Going To Cal, Freinds and Misty Mountain Hop i really havent been bothered with.

Worth having i think though, especially for a beginner.

haha, true. Well i sat down and attempted, but it took too long so i hopped onto the internet :beer:

I read somewhere it was played on a slide board.... or whateva those horizontal looking guitars are.

Gahh I'm sorry I havent scanned those Going to California pages ninelives, but I will get around to it soon I promise!!

I have the tabs to Going to California. But as much as I love the song, its not real rewarding to fiddle with on your own. Really need two guitars or a guitar and a mandolin to make it worthwhile. so if you are on your own, its not incredibly satisfying in my estimation. Unless you can sing like Plant which is unlikely. Man, time is a wasting. Why doesnt he just do a Zepp tour and let Allison sing the part of Sandry Denny? Then you have a win win for all!! She could get involved if Jimmy let her. Seems like she has Robert wrapped around her finger.

Well now that they have shut down olga.net and that Mikes tab site that Leddy served up, we are left with Achilles Last Stand, which is very nice for Led Zeppelin. But Im afraid Ultimate Tabs is the only other decent one for other bands, and you get hammered with adds, kicked off, and so many choices it will make your head spin. The better rated ones (5 stars) it seems you have to ba a member or something. Anyway, I did find some of use there. Im glad I dont play piano any more. At least until I can ever afford one after a guitar purchase. Did you ever try finding free piano sheet music online? Can no do!! Even if it was written over 500 yrs ago. I sure hope something gets resolved with Olga.net. How can it be considered a violation of copyright law when all it is is musicians posting their own interpretation of the song?

ultimate guitar is the only one ive really found any useful but alot of the Led Zep tabs on there have like 5 versions and u have to figure out which one is the best and usually the one that has the most accurate tab has no lyrics so it's harder to read. I'm not really complaining tho because I wouldnt really bother writing a tab to go on there. Unless i find one that is completely lacking in accurate tabs and ill just figure it out but then i never do a tab sheet. It's bit of a waste of time, it's easy to commit songs to memory.

As for the Whole Lotta Love at Knebworth, It's the last track on the DVD box set right? I haven't watched it in a while but the camera work on Knebworth was pretty good (for seeing Jimmy's handy work) so shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Actually just watched the bit i think you're talking about... Hard to distinguish the notes with all the Wah happening, and my pedal is out of batteries so I can't have a crack at it :lol:

I play it all the time on acoustic. I got the tab from Olga before they went down and it is DGDGBD. But dont really use the low string. Main riff: open then chords 2102, 4304, 43, 40, 4304, (4 times) 2102, 0000. 2102, 3333, 432, 3333, 432, 032, 232, 432,030, 0102, (3 times) 0304 (3 times) 0505 (3 times). (fret numbers listed from high 6 string first going up). wish I had a scanner but these are the main formations. Just use your ear and use these formations. they are right on. (zeros indicate open chord) Sorry if confusing but I have no way to post. I know for a fact this is the most accurate. More accurate than Ultimate. Olga was the best before the lawyers took it down.

i use powertabs.net for the powertab editor, if you can be bothered dloading powertab then the tabs on powertabs.net are good quality.

• 2 weeks later...

The tuning to When the Levee breaks seems a bit strange to me. Wouldnt you think you could just play it in key on standard without going through the troulbe of using that tuning. What do you think Leddy if you happen to read this? I dont have it in front of me. It is listed as EACFAC. Is that how you play it?

The tuning to When the Levee breaks seems a bit strange to me. Wouldnt you think you could just play it in key on standard without going through the troulbe of using that tuning. What do you think Leddy if you happen to read this? I dont have it in front of me. It is listed as EACFAC. Is that how you play it?

yes yes... i just tried that one yesterday on EACFAC.. and the sound was little bit strange playing along with Jimmy... is there a different way to play it?

Archived