what is the most moving/sad song ever?

Peep Solero

We played "Wish You Were Here" at my dad's funeral.

It had meaning to me before his death that made me get choked up, so now, even if I don't get choked up, it makes me very thoughtful.

"Tears in Heaven" is one that gets me too. It was also played at a funeral--the one of my next-door neighbor, who was a kindergartener.

not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you did, sorry. any who, here it is: the wreck of the edmund fitzgerard? I may have butcherd the title....anyone know this one? how about 'cat's in the cradle"?

sorry again if these have already been mentioned.... :(

not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you did, sorry. any who, here it is: the wreck of the edmund fitzgerard? I may have butcherd the title....anyone know this one? how about 'cat's in the cradle"?

yes they get me too also the sound of silence.

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald :) Great song. One of the first I learned on guitar.

I always thought Forever Autumn by Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues from the War of the Worlds musical version is the saddest song ever.

That said I recently heard "One of These Mornings" by Moby on an episode of Torchwood and I think that comes a very close second.

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash/Nine Inch Nails

"Downbound Train" by Bruce Springsteen

"Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak are some others, I could go on forever!

Dido's Lament - Henry Purcell

The Messiah Will Come Again - Roy Buchanan

Sweet Dream - Roy Buchanan

Nutshell - Alice N Chains

Albatross - Fleetwood Mac

Sleepwalk - Johnny and Santo

The Other Woman - Nina Simone

Untitled - Jeff Buckley

Curtains - Jeff Buckley (Elton John Cover)

Cortez the Killer - Neil Young

Crying - Roy Orbison

Breathe Me - Sia

Drive - The Cars

Caruso - Luicano Pavarotti

Love that song esp Carole's original!! :)

Carole? Carole who? 'Without You' was written by Pete Ham and Tom Evans of Badfinger and it was on their first album. Ironically, they both committed suicide, some say because of depression over the success Harry Nilsson had with it.

Carole? Carole who? 'Without You' was written by Pete Ham and Tom Evans of Badfinger and it was on their first album. Ironically, they both committed suicide, some say because of depression over the success Harry Nilsson had with it.

NOW That is depressing :o After that tidbit, my song about a dawg that falls off a boat is nothing- I think it was Shannon, but I still howl lowly amd my tail stops wagging if I hear it. B)

a bit of classical!!!!!!!!!but i have heard it being played by guitar also (fab) Beethoven's Moonlight sonata beautiful but makes me feel very sad :( i dont know why

So with you on that one....I also say "Fisherman Blues" by the Waterboys or

"Like a Hurricane" by Neil Young

If you've lived long enough to go through a break-up, then this song can really get to you. It was in the aftermath of a break-up I experienced at 19 that this song really tore me up .

"BABY I'M-A WANT YOU" ~~ Bread

Thank you so much for posting that, I was so afraid too. I think I wore that album out after breaking up with my first love in 1976.

Puff the Magic Dragon by Peter, Paul and Mary always does is to me too.

I'm a huge fan of David Lynch and that was an incredibly powerful version of Crying. I love that Lynch chose to have the song sung in Spanish rather than in English... I believe that it added to the drama and the emotion.

OT, Spanish is my second language and there are certain things, love poems, for example, that I find much more powerful in the original Spanish language.

Ditto ...

The most moving version of this I've ever heard was in the movie Mulholland Drive. Rebekah Del Rio sang it accapella (in Spanish) onstage, as the two main characters watched and listened at a late night show.

Incredibly moving...please watch...

1st_page-photo.jpg

I wanna add this...it's a note to Rebekah Del Rio from Roy Orbison's wife .... about her rendition of Crying...

nashville-barb_o.jpg

I hope this post isn't overlooked....THIS truly is an incredible, emotional performance !

NOW That is depressing :o After that tidbit, my song about a dawg that falls off a boat is nothing- I think it was Shannon, but I still howl lowly amd my tail stops wagging if I hear it. B)

Ya I posted the lyrics to Shannon a couple of pages back.I'm cryin' just thinking about it.

Such a beautiful song, it does indeed invoke powerful emotions. I also love the Pathetique movements by both Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. They ooze pathos, hence the title. ;)

I always thought Forever Autumn by Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues from the War of the Worlds musical version is the saddest song ever.

That's my choice for saddest song too! And one of the most poignant "break-up" songs ever would have to be Justin's Broken Dream. Actually, I love just about anything he sings, he has such a great "storytelling" voice, if that makes sense.

BROKEN DREAM

Justin Hayward

One more illusion shattered

One more broken dream

Oh that the morning brings the sun

Gone are the days when I could bounce right back again

See how the tears roll down

Like sweet summer rain

Where does it leave me now

I find myself so free again

Even the smallest traces

Of your sweet perfume

Open the flood gates and I'm helpless

Now as the moonlight shadows

Cast across my room

Only the whispered words

Are heard in the night

Only a silent prayer

'I love you still

I always will'

Out of the dark I stumbled

Into the light

Only my fear has tumbled

I think I always knew

That I would run to you

Somewhere there's children playing

Somewhere far away

Running with open arms to greet me

Over the hill the sunset

Dies and fades away

I turn and I close the door

With one last goodbye

I will return no more

I'll take my heart and let it fly

Just wanted to say how much I LOVE your sig, TypeO!! Please post a response in every single thread so that I can look at it everywhere I go, hee hee. :wub:

´Mother` by John Lennon:

Mother, you had me, but I never had you

I wanted you, you didn't want me

So I, I just got to tell you

Goodbye, goodbye

Father, you left me, but I never left you

I needed you, you didn't need me

Goodbye, goodbye

Children, don't do what I have done

I couldn't walk and I tried to run

Goodbye, goodbye

Mama don't go

Daddy come homeLyrics of John Lennon

Just wanted to say how much I LOVE your sig, TypeO!! Please post a response in every single thread so that I can look at it everywhere I go, hee hee. :wub:

:lolo:

thnx

I tried to illustrate the feeling I get when listening to Achilles' Last Stand.

I've always got the feeling of a massive herd of horses barreling along.

At least I replied for ya!

Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber.

This was played at the Albert Hall on the 'Last Night of the Proms' not long after 9/11. I was in Hyde Park for 'Proms in the Park' and the whole place was completely silent, just about everyone was crying. It’s always brought a lump to my throat but even more so now that I associate it with those tragic events.

Hey!

That is not only an incredibly sad song, but an incredibly hard one to play. I agree that it's extremely sad. Especially the climax

QUOTE (IGG @ Jan 22 2008, 01:36 AM)

She's leaving home- Beatles

Looking Glass- Brandy

Bread- Diary

My #1 Cry-every-time-I-hear-it-song: To Sir With Love.

I Hate this thread- I only got through page 6 :(

Archived