Zeppelin Movie, anyone?

Peep Solero

it would be total trash. the only parts that would be true is that they were a band, they played from 1968 to 1980 and John Bonham died. the rest would most likely be filler of them playing on stage, tossing shit out hotel room windows and a boisterous love affair between one of the band members (probably Plant) and a groupie.

an honest docudrama type movie of the band would be really cool, but that's not going to happen...

Tell me what you think… would any of you wish that a movie (a feature film) about Led Zeppelin was made?

If so, who'd be the actors?

What's the best title for such a movie?

I, on my part would love to see such a thing- tastefully done of course.

You mean a "Fantasy" Film.... right ? ? ? ?

Because, if you leave out the Sex and Drugs... in this R&R movie... then it's a "Fantasy", isn't it !

I imagine a Led Zeppelin movie will be made at some point. While the plot is a touchy subject for a lot of serious Zeppelin fans, my main concern is who would play them :lol:. Either way, I hope the movie is made in my lifetime so that I can see it :D

:D I am sure we would all love to see a documentary/film from Led Zep. But we don't want tabloid fodder! We need a burst of energy and inspiration from the past to give the present a kick up the rear! It would be great if we could get a few gigs and a film. We are not being greedy..it's more a case of neccessity. B)

It's interesting that a lot of you are saying "it would be no good, tabloid rubbish". It's like - don't even bother trying to make a good film, because there's a chance it will turn out bad.

Not all hollywood writers are hacks and not all directors are sensationalist wankers. What if Cameron Crowe were to write/direct a Led Zeppelin film (called 'Untitled')? Based on his own recollections - maybe on new interviews with the band...?

I think that the biggest challenge for any Led Zeppelin film, aside from not turning out a tabloid piece of crap - is getting the music rights.

So if there was a film - what events should be put in - and what should definitely be left out (stuff from Cole's books for eg.)

Should it encompass the formation of the band, all the way through to Bonham's death (with the necessary omissions etc due to time constraints), or focus on a specific time period? If so which?

How should the dynamic between the band be handled? Should it avoid a bias towards Robert and Jimmy, giving them more screen time.

What about personal lives?

It's interesting that a lot of you are saying "it would be no good, tabloid rubbish". It's like - don't even bother trying to make a good film, because there's a chance it will turn out bad.

Not all hollywood writers are hacks and not all directors are sensationalist wankers. What if Cameron Crowe were to write/direct a Led Zeppelin film (called 'Untitled')? Based on his own recollections - maybe on new interviews with the band...?

I think that the biggest challenge for any Led Zeppelin film, aside from not turning out a tabloid piece of crap - is getting the music rights.

:D I don't think anyone was having a go at Hollywood. I am sure these comments have more to do with our experience of the press. They're just being protective. As for music rights...oooh a few donations to 'Warchild' might swing it? :D:D

Tell me what you think… would any of you wish that a movie (a feature film) about Led Zeppelin was made?

If so, who'd be the actors?

What's the best title for such a movie?

I, on my part would love to see such a thing- tastefully done of course.

Actors: Jason Donovan

Robbie Williams

Gareth Gates

& Jason Boham

Film Title: 'Stairway'

personally I think the chances of a movie ever being made are pretty much zero, until the boys all die, then it would be much easier to make a grab at it. until that day, I think the only chance of it being made is if Cameron Crowe did it. he's been the only on so far to get more than one Zep song in the same movie, and the only one to use them in a way that honors their musical value, instead of just whoring them as a means of getting people to watch the movie. I think the fact that he's a friend of theirs would help keep him honest about the whole thing, and I can't really think of anyone at the moment who might do a better job.

Yeah it will turn out to be tabloid trash. Now with who plays who, you will have to go with young actors, who are smart. No dimwitted guys like Owen Wilson, but Luke Wilson could be a Good Jonsey. Shia Lebouf (Transformer's, but not as dum) could be Page. I do think Russell Crowe ( he always plays a bad-ass) will be a good Bonzo. Now the only Problem have is finding a Golden God. Hammer of The Gods has to be the title, or at least Electric Magik.

Yeah it will turn out to be tabloid trash. Now with who plays who, you will have to go with young actors, who are smart. No dimwitted guys like Owen Wilson, but Luke Wilson could be a Good Jonsey. Shia Lebouf (Transformer's, but not as dum) could be Page. I do think Russell Crowe ( he always plays a bad-ass) will be a good Bonzo. Now the only Problem have is finding a Golden God. Hammer of The Gods has to be the title, or at least Electric Magik.

For the Robert Plant role, how about Heath Ledger? Not sure who else could play that part. Can anyone think of someone who would fit the part better?

For the Robert Plant role, how about Heath Ledger? Not sure who else could play that part. Can anyone think of someone who would fit the part better?

Believe it or not, some years ago I heard "Hammer of The Gods" was in the works, and the rumor at the time was Gary Oldman as JP. Anybody else hear that?

Everybody keeps saying it would be tabloid trash, I have no idea why though. The fact is these guys are human, not gods who never erred. They were drug addicts who had sex with underage girls and made the most amazing 'rock' music ever known to man (IMHO). Or am I in the wrong place? Is the the crowd that will insist that Jimmy Page wasn't on heroin, that it was several years of the flu, food poisoning and carpel tunnel that caused his physical deterioration? Get real! Nobody wants to be remembered for being a drug shooting, booze swilling maniac, even if it was only on the road.

A movie will never get made because none of the remaining band members will ever approve any version of their history that is even remotely accurate. They know that the intangible mystery guards their legacy much better than a tell all book or movie.

I agree, PJD. Frankly, I find the offstage antics of most bands to be pretty boring... I mean, it's the same thing with every band: lots of drugs, lots of sex, lots of insides of hotel rooms and looking out windows of airplanes. I mean, they do have some pretty funny stories, but do I really want to see 2 hours of Zep anecdotes played out on film? I don't think I could even take that from The Who, and Keith Moon played some of the best practical jokes ever. I'd rather watch the live DVD and witness the true source of Zeppelin's greatness: their music.

I just want to thank everyone who has commented, it took me a bit by surprise that most fans fear- what appears to me- from seeing their idols demoted from gods to mere humans with faults who at their hay-day did some things which could make them look bad.

I think that the movie-if one were to be made- should focus, definitely on the music and the sheer genius of the live performance, sort of an in depth look at the time and place in which such giants of music lived and worked.

The drugs and antics are a part of it simply because it happened, it should be there just to say- hey we're not deluding ourselves, they weren't saints.

But the over all statement is what Led Zep music is about- beyond anything that happened off stage – is that it's about the music and it's everlasting power, that what they did 40-some- years ago meant something and it's still relevant today.

p.s.

I bet my last dollar that Cameron Crowe will do it one of these days.

I don't think Heath has the right energy for RP - he's more laidback, I don't think he could play it right.

Believe it or not, some years ago I heard "Hammer of The Gods" was in the works, and the rumor at the time was Gary Oldman as JP. Anybody else hear that?

Yes, Malcolm McLaren took out an option or bought the rights to Hammer of the Gods the book, to make the Peter Grant story. Jason Donovan was mooted and I have heard rumours of Gary Oldman as JP...he would play a pretty brooding mysterious JP I would say

Archived