Zeppelin Movie, anyone?

Peep Solero

I just want to thank everyone who has commented, it took me a bit by surprise that most fans fear- what appears to me- from seeing their idols demoted from gods to mere humans with faults who at their hay-day did some things which could make them look bad.

it's not that we're afraid of seeing them portrayed as humans with faults, we all know they're humans and understand that. anyone who thinks they didn't have faults is delusional. what we fear is that the movie would be total fictional nonsense, with crap thrown in to make it more enticing and dramatic and all that other trash. if someone's going to make a movie about someone else, they could at least have the decency to make it true. but that doesn't really seem to happen very often.

Yeah it will turn out to be tabloid trash. Now with who plays who, you will have to go with young actors, who are smart. No dimwitted guys like Owen Wilson, but Luke Wilson could be a Good Jonsey. Shia Lebouf (Transformer's, but not as dum) could be Page. I do think Russell Crowe ( he always plays a bad-ass) will be a good Bonzo. Now the only Problem have is finding a Golden God. Hammer of The Gods has to be the title, or at least Electric Magik.

This is a silly thread, but I'll play along. I'd say that Matthew McConaughey as Plant. Not that Plant would like to have a guy portray him that was once arrested by the authorities for (a) disturbing the peace, (B) smoking pot, and © though, not illegal, but at the time of the dope arrest, wearing nothing but underwear and playing the bongos with a male friend of his also only wearing underwear.

Oh yeah, and Dom DeLouise as Peter Grant.

Page has said he'll never write an autobiography, and that his secrets will go with him to his grave.

most of their documentaries of the band are bootlegged at least here in toronto, i cant find anything official but im still looking so i mean if there was something done to the extent where is like a 3 DVD set from Before Zep 1- present i would watch it and i think alot of others would to.

we discussed this in great detail on the old forum.

had alot of good ideas being considered for the overall story.

I still like the idea of having the opening credits of the film run with the b/w tv clip of a 12yo Page playing 'skiffle' and him saying how he wanted to become a bio-researcher.

I just want to thank everyone who has commented, it took me a bit by surprise that most fans fear- what appears to me- from seeing their idols demoted from gods to mere humans with faults who at their hay-day did some things which could make them look bad.

I think that the movie-if one were to be made- should focus, definitely on the music and the sheer genius of the live performance, sort of an in depth look at the time and place in which such giants of music lived and worked.

The drugs and antics are a part of it simply because it happened, it should be there just to say- hey we're not deluding ourselves, they weren't saints.

But the over all statement is what Led Zep music is about- beyond anything that happened off stage – is that it's about the music and it's everlasting power, that what they did 40-some- years ago meant something and it's still relevant today.

p.s.

I bet my last dollar that Cameron Crowe will do it one of these days.

[/quote

:rolleyes: I'm sure we don't look apon Led Zep as Gods. They were far too naughty! Fans just get very protective and a little too deep sometimes. It's just a reaction... a collective admiration of all the hard work, inspiration and entertainment they have given us all. A few knighthoods in recognition of that fact is some-what overdue however! :D:D:D

p.s I still think a documentary could be produce without the tabloid fodder.

For the Robert Plant role, how about Heath Ledger? Not sure who else could play that part. Can anyone think of someone who would fit the part better?

I can't believe I suggested Heath for the Robert Plant part and then he drops dead today in NYC. Most likely of an O.D. That's eery. So I guess it's safe to say, that he's out?

I can't believe I suggested Heath for the Robert Plant part and then he drops dead today in NYC. Most likely of an O.D. That's eery. So I guess it's safe to say, that he's out?

I just thought about that one too, last night the Israeli T.V. aired "Brokeback Mountain" and I was thinking..."nah, he don't look like Robert".

You know, we've been having this discussion on Robert's imdb board about who could play him for a while now and everyone was saying it should be Heath. Personally I thought he could have pulled it off. He was a great character actor and he kind of had his hair, only less curly and a little more bleached, a few years ago. I couldn't think of anyone else who I'd even want to play him and I really racked my brain.

It's kinda weird that we were just talking about him and then he passes. I don't know why it's so offputting. Personally I've just loved the guy since I was like 13 and he serenaded Julia Stiles haha, so I always liked to see him anything. So sad. It's also really sad that the thread about his death has turned into a bitch fest because of really insensitive comments.

ANYWAY, back on topic. Since the only guy I could think of for Robert's role is gone, I want to see a Zeppelin movie even less.

Although a movie would no doubt be full of holes, I do live in hope of a proper official documentary, along the lines of The Beatles' Anthology TV series, which was fantastic. It's very true that Led Zeppelin has always thrived on mystery and generally keeping their mouths shut, but a documentary which really focussed on the music creation and live performances might be agreeable to them. Maybe.

I've often thought that someone creative and with a bit of time on their hands could put together a decent documentary using footage off of YouTube. Would be completely bootleg, but that doesn't seem to bother many people these days. If it was done convincingly and honestly then, who knows, Jimmy Page might see it and get it remade professionally. Dream on, I know.

...wasn't he the only one so far to use more than one of Zep's songs in a movie?

I trust him to do a good job.

Glad he's got your vote - however it is the vote of the guys who wrote the songs that count. They will not sanction the music to be used in a movie about themselves. I'd put MY last dollar on that.

I'm the one who said he wouldn't be right for the role....how do you think I feel? :o

Wouldn't want anyone else playing the boys, though as part of a 2nd DVD set a 30-60 minutedocumentary with backstage footage and so on would be interesting.

God I hope Jimmy pulls out of his hat a DVD 2. :D

I second that! Great idea.

(What about... Spinal Tap II? Ok, slinking away now...)

...wasn't he the only one so far to use more than one of Zep's songs in a movie?

I trust him to do a good job.

Oh, I don't put that much stock into C. Crowe's efforts....

I though his use of Zeppelin songs... was poor. I get to make that statement.... as I'm the customer of his films... If you're going to use Zeppelin Music... then you need to do it magnificently, or, Not at All. That's what I'm saying.....

"Immigrant Song" used by Jack Black .... BFD....

That's the "Best" you can come up with ? ? ? As I just stated.... when it comes to Zeppelin.... Magnificence... or Not at All...

I don't think Heath has the right energy for RP - he's more laidback, I don't think he could play it right.

Yes, Malcolm McLaren took out an option or bought the rights to Hammer of the Gods the book, to make the Peter Grant story. Jason Donovan was mooted and I have heard rumours of Gary Oldman as JP...he would play a pretty brooding mysterious JP I would say

Well, sadly indeed, RIP Heath Ledger. I think he would've worked, too.

Watching Gary Oldman as Sirius Black (aka, Black Dog) in the last Harry Potter film, I was definitely reminded of Jimmy.

Glad he's got your vote - however it is the vote of the guys who wrote the songs that count. They will not sanction the music to be used in a movie about themselves. I'd put MY last dollar on that.

Copyrights will eventually run out, though. It might be better for them to sanction a definitive version instead of waiting for the hack job that will probably come about in later days. Better to be made with love and understanding, if made at all. Perhaps a Terry Gilliam joint? :)

When it comes down to it, I wouldn't want to see a Hollywood film about them, though, no way. It could never approach what decades of the real thing have given us.

Well, strangely enough:

"Bad-luck director Terry Gilliam's current star: Heath Ledger"

At the time of his death, Heath Ledger was partway through shooting a new movie, "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus," for director Terry Gilliam. The Guardian reports that the film had finished a 20-day shoot in London just last weekend and had moved to Vancouver, B.C., to shoot special effects scenes.

Other stars of the $30 million film are Christopher Plummer and Tom Waits.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/thebigb...ives/130108.asp

With so many facets to the Zeppelin story, it would have to be a trilogy at least! A massive undertaking! Once you compress even just the major bits into a 2-hour film, too much is lost. Way too much. BigStickBonzo and I have bounced the idea around for a few years (he's a film maker and I'm a writer), and as much as we'd love to see this happen, the idea of selecting what would be in and what would be out is so beyond grasp. I don't buy into Crowe doing it, either. He's too artsy (Almost Famous was as close as you'll get from him), and it would be indeed end up like Oliver Stone's Doors. I just don't see it possible to get it right. And besides, as Knebby said, there'd be no music rights unless the script was truly stellar, and frankly I cannot imagine a script that would please everyone involved. Besides, there isn't an actor I know of who could convincingly play a member of Zeppelin as a gig. It could never work for us hardcore fans. We know subtleties no hired actor could hope to master, no matter how talented. We're just too close to it.

I will keep writing though. If only for my own enjoyment and that of my friends. Soldier on BSB, I'm with you!! Who knows, my friend? :beer:

Copyrights will eventually run out, though. It might be better for them to sanction a definitive version instead of waiting for the hack job that will probably come about in later days. Better to be made with love and understanding, if made at all. Perhaps a Terry Gilliam joint? :)

You're right they do run out...95 years after the date they are registered provided they are re-newed correctly (a first term of 28 years plus a renewal term of 67 years)

*note this is for works originally created and published or registered before January 1, 1978, for works works originally created before January 1, 1978, but not published or registered by that date or for works originally created on or after January 1, 1978 life of copyright is 70 years after the last surviving author’s death

For the Robert Plant role, how about Heath Ledger? Not sure who else could play that part. Can anyone think of someone who would fit the part better?

I actually thought about him, before the whole dropping dead thing. He would've been good, Tall, Fit, Blonde, seems smart, and most likely a good English accent. This must be a sign not to do a movie. Val Kilmer could be a thought, he did played every other sex god from the seventies. (Jim Morrision and Johnny Wad Holmes). Fuck Heath Ledger would've been perfect. I could just imagine now Heath ledger, Shia Labeouf, Russell Crowe and Luke Wilson jamming to "Train Kept a rolling". Kathy Bates could play Peter Grant.

I actually thought about him, before the whole dropping dead thing. He would've been good, Tall, Fit, Blonde, seems smart, and most likely a good English accent. This must be a sign not to do a movie. Val Kilmer could be a thought, he did played every other sex god from the seventies. (Jim Morrision and Johnny Wad Holmes). Fuck Heath Ledger would've been perfect. I could just imagine now Heath ledger, Shia Labeouf, Russell Crowe and Luke Wilson jamming to "Train Kept a rolling". Kathy Bates could play Peter Grant.

Kathy Bates as Peter Grant....That's a good one!

Let's stop talking about how crap the movie would be and actually consider it,come to my happy place,in the happy place,John Bonham never died and Zep still tour together and have released more albums than the Stones,they are about 10 times bigger than the Beatles and i've seen them live 100+ times (As opposed to 0) This is were anything is possible with Zeppelin,now,did anyone see We Will Rock You?The Queen musical,it could be done in that style,which of course is completely fictional but it works.If it was done in this style,it would be called one of these:

"Good Times,Bad Times"

"Dazed And Confused"

"Ramble On"

"Rock And Roll"

"Over The Hills And Far Away"

"No Quarter"

"The Ocean"

"Kashmir"

"Trampled Underfoot"

"Ten Years Gone"

"In My Time Of Dying"

"Achilles Last Stand"

"Nobody's Fault But Mine (Or Nobody's Fault But Theirs/Ours,this is my personal favourite)

We should actually think of a plot here,how about it starts off late in the Yardbirds and follows them from Page joining to them Breaking up?Then the manic search for a new band,meeting JPJ,him finding Plant and hitting it off,them bringing in Bonzo (Jason will also be heavily looked into) and a "First gig" thing,enter Peter Grant,a short look at recording the first album,it becoming a success (With lots of detail about the new recording techniques Page used) going to America and then the fun starts,groupies and drugs in a few scenes,some concert footage,a mention of them needing a new album and a them in studio between gigs (This should be focused on with the small recording hours they got for LZII) then the Albert Hall homecoming footage from the DVD could be used,and what Zep documentary would be complete without heavy enphasis on Bron-Yr-Aur? (The Welsh Cottage where they wrote LZ3) they should be seen resting at the cottage and writing the songs and recording them,of course an entire scene here will be about Stairway and the lyric writing later on the satanic messages (All false from what i can hear) then there will be more touring and eventually,the recording of the fourth album where we will see them catapulted to success and truly ram home the reclusiveness of the band with attention drawn to the "No UK singles" and "No TV appearances" policies,this will be the start of the "Golden Years" period. (1971-1975) This will mark the band reaching the top and will have lots of alcohol.Then in '73 you see the band after releasing HOTH and the tour that broke all the records (Insert debauchery montage here) lots of drugs,sex, and everything Rocking here,we see they get the hired jet and turn it into a brothel,also the recording for TSRTS,then we will have the conception of a double-album and it's recording and the band forming their own label,a massive tour and then we will have some footage from Earls Court '75 :D:D:D There will be large focus on these 5 gigs.Then comes the tragedy,we will have Robert's car crash and his son's (Karac) death.We have the band having hit their lowest point,return to the studio to record "Presence" and detail the speed of it's recording,Achilles Last Stand will be played here and we'll see Robert singing in a wheelchair,they should really try to get a sense of urgency here.We then see the album's release and critical reception,we see Plant recovers,TSRTS released and the '77 US tour.To '79 and we will see ITTOD being recorded and some difficulties,tensions,and other dramas,the album being dismissed by critics and finally a climax to the year at Knebworth,there they blow away the doubters with the most amazing show ever,:D All critics are blown away and the band are back in command,some footage of the tours from 1980 and then the tragedy that was John Bonhams death (Heath Ledger could play him there) we see the remaining members arguing for a long time and deciding to quit,the public reception of the news and to close it,a short look at post Zeppelin life,Robert's solo career,Jimmy's work in the Firm and other bands,JPJ's career,the Page & Plant tour and eventually Ahmet's death (He has been introduced before presumably) The bands discussing (Jimmy rings Robert up and they meet JP and talk long and hard about it) and the Final decision to play the o2 gig with Jason,we'll have footage of that,and close it all up after the last song.

What d'ya think?My title choice is "Nobody's Fault But Mine/Ours",what do you think?The aforementioned actors sound right for the parts,Robert will have to be played by a descendant IMHO. (They'll be the right age when it's made)

Ok, I'll play this game, too.

To me the only logical person that can remotely come close to playing Percy is so obvious -- Son of Percy! LOGAN! So what if he's not blond, he's everything else -- incredibly hot and well, incredibly hot!

The other 3, well, that will take some thought. :)

Archived