Robert Plant says Radiohead “crap”

KEVIN

I take anything that's published in "The Sun" with a shovelful of salt. And that's only because I'm far too refined to use it to wipe my bottom with! ;)

(For the benefit of non-Brits, it's a tabloid "newspaper" (I use the term loosely) which is one of several known for its' sensationalist claptrap.)

Oh hang on a minute, maybe "claptrap" is a peculiarly British expression as well ... ??? Oh what the heck - "claptrap" = rubbish/nonsense/total bollocks, etc etc ... you get the picture!

[edit: remove typo]

So... I take it you could easily replace the "l" with "r" in "claptrap" to describe the paper? LOL. There are plenty of those. Journalism seems a bizarre way to make a living.

<_<

I think I'd mention Robert in each of my posts...to keep them relevant ! :D

The Small Faces are great rocknroller dude....Ogden's Nut Gone Flake is proly considered their most psychedelic....their earlier stuff on Decca was more rocknrolley....their material on Immediate...was the trippier stuff. I'd go with a compilation though..there are many...google and find the most extensive...read and choose your psychedelic selection !!!

This post qualifies too....I've already mentioned Robert ! ;)

Sounds good Joelmon, thanks for the direction.

I commend Robert for trying as hard as he does to keep listening, even as age moves him farther away from the frame of reference that contemporary artists create. It must be challenging for baby boomers whose scene blossomed in the magical 66-69 era to take anything that came after seriously.

Edited by rokarolla

I woke up when John Lennon got shot. I turned on the tv right away as well, and I wasn't much of a tv watcher at that point, but I knew something was wrong.

People forget these days that stories (belief patterns) create our reality. Imagining there is no heaven is well, NOT the smartest thing to do, rather imagining it, then moving into AC.T.ION to create it IS the smARTest. Nice word eh? Creating it HERE. If above doesn't exist, well then eventually.... eh? Drawing from your imagination into reality. Above us only sky? huh? Technology is incredible and being wise enough to use it for good is potential up the wazoo. Look at what Richard Branson's doing.

An immature picture of love is destructive.

Our local radio station had a bed in for peas, carrots, corn and potatoes for our local food bank. See the diffy? I have yet to see these boys make the kind of change in the world they have the ability to do with all the love they sang of and all the mooooolah that have stashed away for their own rainy day?

in.St.A.n.t. kar.Ma. That is the proper configuration and it actually works and it worked on John.

Now Paul, with Memory Almost Full, then surely.... If we ever get out of here, gonna give it all away, to a registered charity... all we need is a pint a day....

Why can't we hold musicians accountable for their words. Can you imagine the difference in the world if most musicians actually lived the lives they claimed through their music?

Paul, his recent comment on artists who live(d) in poverty are pathetic and he is knighted. Just an element of lack of insight that seems so prominant amongst many musicians/actors. A bloated sense of self and lack of regard for other to a degree when in reality, if only they thought like Bill Gates.

It's one thing to say, All you need is love, and yet quite another to become that when you are in the financial position to do so, which makes it so much sadder. Btw, did you know that Chabbad (Jewish Hassidim) are a 33 degree order. Interesting in light of the music industry and watching how it impacted life on a spiritual level. Apple, granny smith, new york, big apple, green apple, eden? Apple computers, windows, am.stair.damned? mnahatten, mad hatter? mad hater.

The first aspect of Chabbad is Chessed which means mercy. Notice the SS in the middle. It is SO easy, so terribly easy to take something out of context and create chaos from order. (don't mess with our book), lol.

"How to achieve the moral breakdown of the enemy before the war has started - that is the problem that interests me. Whoever has experienced war at the front will want to refrain from all avoidable bloodshed." ~ Adolf Hitler

When faced with choice, rock stars unfortunately often choose unwisely when their potential is rock of ages. Yeah, I love the thought. Do you realize what a huge act of altruism in the rock world could do to evangelical christianity? As Satan would say, I get rather horny thinking about it, lol

The Stones? A lot of poor use of symbolism. It also created a strong backdrop for criminal behaviour. It fed a poor mindset. Every cop is a criminal? Well you know, but the time the 80s rolled around, you might as well could have said... yup. And that's the power of music. Seems Zep was in the same boat to a degree. Live and learn.

smiley20confused.jpg

Sounds good Joelmon, thanks for the direction.

I commend Robert for trying as hard as he does to keep listening, even as age moves him farther away from the frame of reference that contemporary artists create. It must be challenging for baby boomers whose scene blossomed in the magical 66-69 era to take anything that came after seriously.

:rolleyes:

In an interview with The Word magazine(British music mag)a few months ago,in which Plant was asked about his "secrets"for performing well live and asked who excited him these days,Plant singled out Thom Yorke for praise as a compelling live presence.He said he wasn't quite sure how he did it,but he (Yorke)blew him(Plant)away.

Jeez, don't tell me I'm the only one besides Robert Plant that has asked the bartender in a pub to "turn this crap off"? I do it all the time, nicely of course, not demanding. Generally someone else joins in and then another and another until it's a full-out coup and we get to listen to what we want. And what we want is never Radiohead or the Chili Peppers.

He's damn right.

Radiohead is the most overrated band since Syd-led Floyd and Red Hot Chili Peppers stopped being interesting after Dave Navarro left.

Don Van Vliet has ALWAYS been interesting, and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Zappa-fan.

finally. someone else who thinks the Syd era Floyd was overrated.

• 12 years later...

I was the bartender in question. Robert Plant politely requested that I change the music. I asked what was wrong with what was on and he did call it nursery rhyme crap. I asked what he'd prefer to listen to and he said Captain Beefheart. I apologised for not having any of that music to play, he grumbled a little, went back to his seat and left shortly after. My colleagues thought it was hilarious that I hadn't recognised RP and one of them told his mate who then told his mate Gordon Smart who writes for The Sun...who then added the emotional outbursts to make the story more interesting. They never called the bar to fact check. And he wasn't drunk, it was a Sunday lunchtime. 

He came in a couple of weeks later and said all the press had helped him get to no.2 in the album charts...

Edited by CamdenBartender

On 10/9/2020 at 1:04 AM, CamdenBartender said:

I was the bartender in question. Robert Plant politely requested that I change the music. I asked what was wrong with what was on and he did call it nursery rhyme crap. I asked what he'd prefer to listen to and he said Captain Beefheart. I apologised for not having any of that music to play, he grumbled a little, went back to his seat and left shortly after. My colleagues thought it was hilarious that I hadn't recognised RP and one of them told his mate who then told his mate Gordon Smart who writes for The Sun...who then added the emotional outbursts to make the story more interesting. They never called the bar to fact check. And he wasn't drunk, it was a Sunday lunchtime. 

He came in a couple of weeks later and said all the press had helped him get to no.2 in the album charts...

Hahaha. Thanks for giving us the lowdown on this amusing anecdote. I never trusted anything in The Sun. Haven't picked one up in years.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Hahaha. Thanks for giving us the lowdown on this amusing anecdote. I never trusted anything in The Sun. Haven't picked one up in years.

I  was bagging my groceries in the supermarket recently, Sharron the checkout girl asked why I was pulling a face, I gestured to the guy next in line, he had the *** on the belt, that thing there I said quietly. The lies the *** published about Liverpool supporters thirty + years ago will never be forgotten.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I  was bagging my groceries in the supermarket recently, Sharron the checkout girl asked why I was pulling a face, I gestured to the guy next in line, he had the *** on the belt, that thing there I said quietly. The lies the *** published about Liverpool supporters thirty + years ago will never be forgotten.

I though there was a blanket ban from selling The *** in Merseyside?

24 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

I though there was a blanket ban from selling The *** in Merseyside?

I wish there was, if I was a newsagent I would not stock it, I would not stock the Daily Star either, another low brow piece of shit. Maybe the Daily Mail too, the Express also. pretty sure I'd go out of business pretty quick. Think I'd do ok with a head shop or a record shop.

Edited by JTM

Well, IMO Radiohead IS crap, never liked them and as mentioned is seriously overrated. 

The RHCP though are great in all their various incarnations. Plus Flea is one of the top 5 bass players period and Chad Smith is also in the top 10 drummers. Just love RHCP.

45 minutes ago, Victor said:

For anyone thats not in Britain, just to clarify The Sun is the most moronic paper in the country (can't call it a newspaper). you've all probably got an equivalent in your countries!  

It is like the Weekly World News and National Enquirer and New York Post here in the U.S.

1 hour ago, Stryder1978 said:

You can add the New York Times to that list of toilet paper quality journalism.

You can disagree with their op-ed pages, but by-and-large the main part of the paper still does a better job than most of reporting the news. I trust the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post far more than any television or youtube outlet, that is for sure. You don't survive as long as the New York Times has without being dependable. They were here long before you and I and they will be here after we are gone.

54 minutes ago, Strider said:

You can disagree with their op-ed pages, but by-and-large the main part of the paper still does a better job than most of reporting the news. I trust the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post far more than any television or youtube outlet, that is for sure. You don't survive as long as the New York Times has without being dependable. They were here long before you and I and they will be here after we are gone.

https://tenor.com/view/welcome-to-fantasy-island-gif-11313128

• 4 months later...

I find this topic amusing, because it’s because of Radiohead Plant & Page split !

Robert said when he heard Radiohead’s guitarist at Amnesty show, P&Ps last one together, that’s when he realized guitar solos etc were passé and not always necessary etc

so he ditched Jimmy for Skin, and the Zep world was forever left behind.  

so F**k Radiohead