Robert Plant says Radiohead “crap”

KEVIN

Yeah, "the era of the virtuoso is over" or something like that

you know, I was watching the '71 Japan footage, and you see Robert and Jonesy practically rolling their eyes waiting for Jimmy to wrap up his unaccompanied 'Heartbreaker' guitar solo. Then I started to realize what Plant had to go through, and just how indulgent Jimmy was, long guitar solos in almost every song, with Robert standing around...

not that we don't all love it, but, you know, from Roberts point of view, yeah, I'm sure it could be a bit much some times

3 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Yeah, "the era of the virtuoso is over" or something like that

you know, I was watching the '71 Japan footage, and you see Robert and Jonesy practically rolling their eyes waiting for Jimmy to wrap up his unaccompanied 'Heartbreaker' guitar solo. Then I started to realize what Plant had to go through, and just how indulgent Jimmy was, long guitar solos in almost every song, with Robert standing around...

not that we don't all love it, but, you know, from Roberts point of view, yeah, I'm sure it could be a bit much some times

Without a doubt but I never understood why Robert did not play second guitar. He had two members in the band who could both be considered guitar virtuosos' (JPJ smokes on lead guitar when he wants to) who I am sure would have happily taught him how to at least play decent rhythm guitar. Zep really needed a second guitarist anyway especially by 75' when the songs were becoming more layered with guitar parts. That would have kept Robert busy during Jimmy's solos.

On 1/21/2008 at 2:44 PM, KEVIN said:

http://www.nme.com/news/tabloid-hell/33768

Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant labelled Radiohead “crap” while out drinking in north London at the weekend, according to The Sun’s Buzarre column.

According to the paper, Plant was drinking with a woman and demanded that the music playing in the pub was changed.

Apparently Plant described Radiohead as “rhyming crap”, and also rubbished Red Hot Chili Peppers (whose music he likened to a nursery rhyme) before settling on Captain Beefheart.

21 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Those are NOT nursery rhymes my good man. Those are historical recollections of some weird event(s). Of course, that's it.

See-saw, Margery Daw,
Sold her bed and lay on the straw;
Sold her bed and lay upon hay
And pisky came and carried her away.
For wasn't she a dirty slut
To sell her bed and lie in the dirt?

1 minute ago, Clem said:
See-saw, Margery Daw,

I like a good nursery rhyme as much as the next guy - not disparaging nursery rhymes.

21 minutes ago, Clem said:
See-saw, Margery Daw,

That's pretty interesting, I never heard that one before. Pretty cheeky 😏