Question for Californians...

Hotplant

Yikes !!! I didn't know that....:o

Nevermind.

Well good for YOU !!! B)

Yeah, unfortunately, it's not really like the European nude beaches... Not much in the line of eye candy for either sex. San Diego's weird like that; we're pretty conservative, actually, but we like to pretend that we're "with it" like L.A...sometimes it just doesn't work, lol.

Ah, the good old Hotel Del! We took my mom there on Mother's Day for brunch one time. Some Like It Hot was filmed there, incidentally. Coronado is really pretty...it and La Jolla are probably the two nicest parts of San Diego.

You know, I have never been to Windansea! I'll have to get my butt over there this weekend...sounds cool.

Where's Klu on this? He lives in Redondo doesn't he?

maybe...

[former Southern Californian chiming in with my .02..]

I'd recommend RAT (Redondo and Torrance) beach.. or Redondo.. or Hermosa.

7337826.jpg

..me old stomping grounds. B)

Wow, RAT looks way better there than up close. The closer you get to PVerdes (where the photographer is shooting), the crappier the water and the beach IMHO. For cleanliness and vibe I'd rather hover around either Hermosa or Manhattan. Redondo has a neat stretch immediately south of the pier, but RAT is pretty desolate and basically exists as a collection point for mounds of seaweed. :D

THANK YOU everybody, indeed helpful.

Not so Sunny this week though... :lol: Wow, just saw on the news all the flooding and snow near Bakersfield.

I once worked in San Jose, lived just outside in Campbell.

Lived in Santa Maria, COLD!! Too windy.

Spent two years as a child in San Diego and that is what lures me. Memories of the beach as a kid.

I also stayed right on the beach once, in Carpinteria. And Marina Del Ray.

But from what you have all said, sounds like Hermosa would be really good.

Yes, I've been to the nude beach up north. Gay guys wouldn't bother me a bit! Literally!!! :lol:

I do also remember La Jolla.....I LOVED that beach!

It's just been so long, I really wondered if anywhere was still nice. From Del's and Alison's post sounds like it isn't as bad as I invisioned.

Big thanks you guys! :thanku:^_^

If you are stopping by Orange County between LA and San Diego.

Hotplant I think your best bet is either Laguna Beach or San Onofre depending on the level of Nature you are looking

From North to South

Huntington Beach: A big tourist beach with lots of people and lots of parking. Good bar and grill type restaurants acrsoss the street. While I have never had any problems here this beach has had health issues in the past. People from all walks of life come here. Sometimes things get rowdy. Don't worry though, there is a hefty police presence to break up any fights that will inevitably occur. I've had to call upon them myself, and boy are they quick to arrive.

Newport Beach and Balboa: If you are looking for a party, Newport Beach is where you will find one. Plenty of bars on the boardwalk and the neighborhood is filled with twentysomethings in rental homes all looking for a good time. Bring your roller blades or rent a bike for the boardwalk. Since most people are focused on the partying, the actual beach is widely available. Get here early though, parking is scarce. The inner harbor is filled with millionaires yachts. Outside of the immediate beach area is some of the most expensive property in California.

Laguna Beach: Beautiful and romantic. Laguna Beach is an artists colony. It can be rocky in places with lots of tidepools. Fine dining at very nice restaurants. Lots of art galleries. Wyland has one if his places here. Pretty clean, very safe and there is a nightlife. Music spills out from the establishments into the street at night. Hotplant I think this might be your best bet. During the daytime the beach itself is great for walking. When you hear singles saying they love to take walks on the beach, this is the kind of place they dream about.

Salt Creek. Nice family beach, hidden in a canyon with plenty of parking. Good waves for boogie boarding. Most of the summer surfing is banned in half the beach because there are too many kids in the water. Very fun almost circus like atmosphere (in a good way) because of the large grassy park on the hillside above, and a favorite of the teeny boppers around the area.

San Clemente. This is where most families from the south Orange County suburbs go. It gets crowded but it's very family oriented. Good surfing except near the pier where it is not allowed near the swimmers. On the pier there are some great seafood restaurants. The snack shop down on the beach has great corn dogs, fries and smoothies. This one is my favorite.

Trestles and San Onofre: Great nature beaches. The cleanest as far as I know. No suburban runnof here, and its part of the state parks system.

Trestles is the one of the best surf spots in the country. (mentioned in Surfing USA). Next to the train tracks. (hence the name). Its at the mouth of a river so there it's a rocky beach in places. It's a long walk to get here and pretty much the only people that go here are surfers. Good luck surfing though. you will be competing for waves with about 200 expert surfers. But its not so bad really, its a big beach and there are lots of places besides the point break to try and surf.

San Onofre has camping available. And also the mellowest surfing spots at a beach called Old Mans. Its a long consistent slow break which is great for longboards. Its rare to see anyone under 30 here and a very friendly atmosphere. Rent a board elsewhere since there are no shops here. further south there is camping. Oh, by the way, there is a nuclear power plant, but nobody notices it. It's between the surfing and the camping so it really is two beaches. Both are a great place for a relatively quiet day at the beach. Seriously.

As far as health concerns go I belive most problems are caused by runnof from rain. I dont go in the ocean for about a couple of days after a rainstorm

Archived