"Bustle in your Hedgerow"

From the Urban Dictionary;

1~"A bustle in your hedgerow," the enigmatic line in Led Zep's "Stairway To Heaven" classic, has mystified music mavens for decades. Hopefully, the following will sprinkle a scintilla of elucidation and edification upon this cryptic conundrum.

A hedgerow is a hedge that surrounds many estates in Britain.

Bustle, or noise or activity, used in this sense, means a disturbance close to home. Something's happening in your world!

It's just a spring clean for the May Queen.

Spring cleaning is an old domestic ritual cleaning meant to do away with the troubles of the past year and prepare for the coming year, and often includes disposing of old, useless things that have been lying around.

The May Queen was a maiden chosen by a village to represent the hopes and potential for the coming year. She was a symbol of beauty, spring and new beginnings.

So here, as an analogy, the lyric refers to getting rid of old and outdated systems in order to allow progress to occur.

OR it can refer to menarche, or the first menstrual cycle, signifying that a girl is coming of age.

OR, it could mean that you have a fuckin' bee in your bonnet!

2~A hedgerow can also refer to one's pubic hair, therefore a bustle in your hedgerow can mean to become sexually aroused.

John had a bustle in his hedgerow for Jane as soon as he saw her.

3~Windy disturbance in your 'hedgerow' or 'intimate feminine area, or 'a fanny fart.'

Moira: "Ooh, I just had a bustle in me hedgerow."

Keith: "A bustle in your hedgerow? Yikes."

:D

3~Windy disturbance in your 'hedgerow' or 'intimate feminine area, or 'a fanny fart.'

:lol: :lol:

Stairway is actually about fanny farts!

What news.

I've always thought the lyrics were great with the exception of

"If the stores are all closed" & "she's buying a Stairway to Heaven".

In my OPINION, those passages do not fit the rest of the lyrics,

which are ethereal and evocotive. It's almost as if he tried to hard

to make a connection with Shakespeare's "All that glistens is not

gold". Replace them with another phrase and the rest of the lyrics

remain unaffected.

I restate, this is my OPINION! I do not presume to suggest

anyone is qualified to tell Robert Plant how to write songs.

I've always thought the lyrics were great with the exception of

"If the stores are all closed" & "she's buying a Stairway to Heaven".

In my OPINION, those passages do not fit the rest of the lyrics,

which are ethereal and evocotive. It's almost as if he tried to hard

to make a connection with Shakespeare's "All that glistens is not

gold". Replace them with another phrase and the rest of the lyrics

remain unaffected.

I restate, this is my OPINION! I do not presume to suggest

anyone is qualified to tell Robert Plant how to write songs.

I think RP is one of the best lyricist of all time. But my only complaint about this song is, why did he use a 'SHE' - why not 'HE' . In the same breath, in Black Dog, he says 'A big-league woman ain't got no soul'. I wish someone could say something about why this attitude about women.

1~"A bustle in your hedgerow," the enigmatic line in Led Zep's "Stairway To Heaven" classic, has mystified music mavens for decades. Hopefully, the following will sprinkle a scintilla of elucidation and edification upon this cryptic conundrum.

Bustle, or noise or activity, used in this sense, means a disturbance close to home. Something's happening in your world!

Spring cleaning is an old domestic ritual cleaning meant to do away with the troubles of the past year and prepare for the coming year, and often includes disposing of old, useless things that have been lying around.

The May Queen was a maiden chosen by a village to represent the hopes and potential for the coming year. She was a symbol of beauty, spring and new beginnings.

So here, as an analogy, the lyric refers to getting rid of old and outdated systems in order to allow progress to occur.

OR it can refer to menarche, or the first menstrual cycle, signifying that a girl is coming of age.

OR, it could mean that you have a fuckin' bee in your bonnet!

2~A hedgerow can also refer to one's pubic hair, therefore a bustle in your hedgerow can mean to become sexually aroused.

John had a bustle in his hedgerow for Jane as soon as he saw her.

I can't believe so much is meant by those words. I think I should use them more often.

LOL I think you need a nap. What I meant is, go make a big fuss, create a 'BUSTLE IN THE HEDGEROW' as long as it makes sense.

Please forgive me; all this time I thought you planted this thread merely for trolling purposes. I see now you were trying to however lamely make some kind of pretending to be reasonable point.

I thought the subject of debating the mysterious meaning of lyrics to Stairway To Heaven was a classic pasttime of the audience...

...does it have a deeper 'purpose' in being introduced as a subject of debate in a Led Zeppelin forum ? Highly unlikely. I can't think of anything more common I would expect to see here in this forum. It seems so natural.

Perhaps, secret meanings lay in our ability to type this discussion backward ?

Actually, I wrote a comic version of Stairway lyrics about a month ago when I was bored. Goes something like this. People who live in Los Angeles will get the references to place...Here is the annotated version. A song about people who talk on thier cell phone all the time and drive dangerously...

There's a lady who sews - holes in her pantyhose

and she's stuck on a freeway to Carson.

When she get's there...she knows,

but she knows not her.... roads,

So...she dials on her phone,

for no reason.

And it makes me wonder...

And as we wind on down the road,

All of us ....talking on our cell phones,

There goes...... the lady we all know,

Showing us in her little red Yugo,

How dangerous driving is to phones, (my enigmatic line)

And if you listen very hard,

The call will come to you at last,

When all is one

And one is stalled,

Just to drive....and not to call.

(I really was bored that night...)

The lyrics to Stairway to Heaven were written on the roadway that leads to Robert Plants welsh farm, if you follow the forest track upwards, and put the words of the famous song together, you will piece it together like a jigsaw puzzle, as told to me by Mr Plant, late August 2003.

You have to of been a visitor to the beautiful Artists Valley, in Mid Wales, where you can piece together all of the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven to completely understand where this beautiful song was written, I did a Tv programme,and had to react the exact lyrics back in 2004.

You have to of been a visitor to the beautiful Artists Valley, in Mid Wales, where you can piece together all of the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven to completely understand where this beautiful song was written, I did a Tv programme,and had to react the exact lyrics back in 2004.

Wow. I could only immagine how it was like. I do wish that that TV clip is in Youtube.

....... "A bustle in your hedgerow," the enigmatic line in Led Zep's "Stairway To Heaven" classic, has mystified music mavens for decades. Hopefully, the following will sprinkle a scintilla of elucidation and edification upon this cryptic conundrum.

The May Queen was a maiden chosen by a village to represent the hopes and potential for the coming year. She was a symbol of beauty, spring and new beginnings. ......

Hey, I like what you wrote here! It's good to know there are some more "celtic relatives" around here!

Merin sa halyalye alasse!

Archived