"Bustle in your Hedgerow"

This is actually a reference to the former meaning and power of women in the older days when the earth was young.

It means things are quite messed up pure and simple. How is the latter reference involved in this tangledness? It's brit slang on both hands, a mess in the hedges, or a mess in your pubic hair.

Simple :blink::blink:

Rolls>>> :wacko:

I think RP is one of the best lyricist of all time. But my only complaint about this song is, why did he use a 'SHE' - why not 'HE' . In the same breath, in Black Dog, he says 'A big-league woman ain't got no soul'. I wish someone could say something about why this attitude about women.

I don't think the sex of the person in the lyrics to Stairway has any relevance. I suppose he could have started it with "There's this geezer what finks...", but it wouldn't have sounded as nice.

I believe the lyric in Black Dog is "I don't know, but I've been told, a big-leg woman ain't got no soul." It seems to just be a throwaway blues howl.

I've always thought the lyrics were great with the exception of

"If the stores are all closed" & "she's buying a Stairway to Heaven".

In my OPINION, those passages do not fit the rest of the lyrics,

which are ethereal and evocotive. It's almost as if he tried to hard

to make a connection with Shakespeare's "All that glistens is not

gold". Replace them with another phrase and the rest of the lyrics

remain unaffected.

I restate, this is my OPINION! I do not presume to suggest

anyone is qualified to tell Robert Plant how to write songs.

I don't think the message of the song would work without these lines.

When I listened to Stairway, I felt like I deciphered all of it to be about coruption except for the 'bustle in your hedgerow' thing. My questions have been answered! :)

But I guess it would make sense for the lyrics to be about buying drugs. :huh:

I think the thing about Robert Plant talking about women is kind of a coincidince, I think. I mean, a lot of the stuff, it might as well be a man as a woman. Of course, I can barely understand what he's saying a lot of the time, so it could be a bit different than I thought. :D

And for all this time I thought STH was a song about a spoiled woman who gets whatever she wants and thought she could buy her way into Heaven :blush: :blush: <_<

The drug reference and the path leading up to Bron-Yr-Aur both make perfect sense though :rolleyes:

Yes and there's a mad sense of irony to the whole thing right now. I guess it's true, some people think they can buy anything. Well at least until they run into someone with morals to set em straight.

"When she gets there she knows if the stores are ALL CLOSED, with a word she can get what she came for."

Word up cash, moolah, coin :blink::blink:

Rolls>>> :wacko:

I thought the subject of debating the mysterious meaning of lyrics to Stairway To Heaven was a classic pasttime of the audience...

...does it have a deeper 'purpose' in being introduced as a subject of debate in a Led Zeppelin forum ? Highly unlikely. I can't think of anything more common I would expect to see here in this forum. It seems so natural.

Perhaps, secret meanings lay in our ability to type this discussion backward ?

Actually, I wrote a comic version of Stairway lyrics about a month ago when I was bored. Goes something like this. People who live in Los Angeles will get the references to place...Here is the annotated version. A song about people who talk on thier cell phone all the time and drive dangerously...

There's a lady who sews - holes in her pantyhose

and she's stuck on a freeway to Carson.

When she get's there...she knows,

but she knows not her.... roads,

So...she dials on her phone,

for no reason.

And it makes me wonder...

And as we wind on down the road,

All of us ....talking on our cell phones,

There goes...... the lady we all know,

Showing us in her little red Yugo,

How dangerous driving is to phones, (my enigmatic line)

And if you listen very hard,

The call will come to you at last,

When all is one

And one is stalled,

Just to drive....and not to call.

(I really was bored that night...)

• 1 month later...

I always took the line "bustle in your hedgerow" to represent some undetermined disturbance. The natural inclination is to become unsettled.

"Spring clean for the May Queen" = change and renewal. It upsets the status quo, and unsettles us, but it's part of the natural order of life. A good thing.

I always took the line "bustle in your hedgerow" to represent some undetermined disturbance. The natural inclination is to become unsettled.

"Spring clean for the May Queen" = change and renewal. It upsets the status quo, and unsettles us, but it's part of the natural order of life. A good thing.

I think you could sum it up with....

any little thing that comes your way... just keep moving along... life has a way of working things out.

Not that I have any idea what Mr. Plant wanted it to be, but to me that's kind of what I get from it.

As far as Black Dog, I do think it is... big legged ain't got no soul. Which is kinda mean. I skip singing that part if there are any big legged woman around. I wonder if they feel bad about that now.... Hey Steve A. Jones, who wrote that line?

I think you could sum it up with....

any little thing that comes your way... just keep moving along... life has a way of working things out.

Not that I have any idea what Mr. Plant wanted it to be, but to me that's kind of what I get from it.

As far as Black Dog, I do think it is... big legged ain't got no soul. Which is kinda mean. I skip singing that part if there are any big legged woman around. I wonder if they feel bad about that now.... Hey Steve A. Jones, who wrote that line?

OKAY FOLKS HERE IT IS:MARCH 5, is a UNIVERSAL DAY OF VARIOUS CULTURAL CELEBRATIONS,ONE OF SUCH IS EAST INDIAN__HOLI__" SPRING CLEAN "-RHIANNON OF BANBURY CROSSROADS IS ALSO THE AUTHENTIC GODDESS OF THE MAY CELEBRATIONS -THE STH LADY DATE OF BIRTH IS MARCH 5,1964-----THATS ALL I`LL ADD HERE. as for bigged legged women they do got SOUL ---it is not a line from the song "Stairway To Heaven".

AND YES, SHE HAS BEEN KNOWN TO A LITTLE OF THAT.

That reference comes up a lot in old blues songs.

I happen to think it's not an insult.Better than toothpicks.

OKAY FOLKS HERE IT IS:MARCH 5, is a UNIVERSAL DAY OF VARIOUS CULTURAL CELEBRATIONS,ONE OF SUCH IS EAST INDIAN__HOLI__" SPRING CLEAN "-RHIANNON OF BANBURY CROSSROADS IS ALSO THE AUTHENTIC GODDESS OF THE MAY CELEBRATIONS -THE STH LADY DATE OF BIRTH IS MARCH 5,1964-----THATS ALL I`LL ADD HERE. as for bigged legged women they do got SOUL ---it is not a line from the song "Stairway To Heaven".

just to clarify, none of us said there were any big legged women in Stairway. ;) Maybe you are just saying we are off topic with Black Dog?

But thanks for the Spring Clean trivia.

"That reference comes up a lot in old blues songs.

I happen to think it's not an insult.Better than toothpicks."

put him down for the big legged women. So are you saying those of us with skinny legs have no soul? :o

just kidding. ;)

Well my Friend the other day at a gig said that all of Stairway had double meanings and thus went thru them, I will not tell you what he said about bustle in your hedgerow for all you prudes out there :rolleyes::)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think RP is one of the best lyricist of all time. But my only complaint about this song is, why did he use a 'SHE' - why not 'HE' . In the same breath, in Black Dog, he says 'A big-league woman ain't got no soul'. I wish someone could say something about why this attitude about women.

well there is a crazy thing i dont know if you have heard about it but MEN LIKE WOMEN...crazy idea but i think you will understand it one day

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that "Bustle in you hedgrow' was refrence to Operation Overlord or D Day or The Invasion of Normandy. You must all rememeber that scene in "Patton" when Karl Malden as Omar Bradley says to George C. Scott as Patton himself something like ..."George were stuck here in hedgrow country moving a couple yards a day. We need a way to break out." To which Patton says..."I looks like you need a crazy tank commander to take over 3rd. Army." The allied forces ridding France and the free world of evil Nazi oppression. There was alot of noise and Nazis hidding in brush. I do know W.W.II was a big deal in England. Sometimes I can't listen to that part of the song without thinking about World at War. It's true.

Well my two cents.....I think it means crap in your life--ya know don't worry bout it. its just what happens before things get rearranged by the power greater than us all. Or maybe more like that annoying little voice in my head--telling me whats right and wrong--Its just the spirit workin. Just my opinion

Anyway gains is that you in the pic? Looks like Ozzy when he was young.

I think Bustle in your hedgerow, means where the song as told to me by Robert Plant, when I met him in 2003, was written in Cwm Enion, Artist Valley Eglwysfach, Gwynedd, Wales, the beautiful valley you can trace every word of the song, if youy have ever been there.

Archived