The 80's...

eagle87

U2 was actually formed officially in 1977 (the prototype band "Feedback" goes as far back as '76), and started recording demos (which I have) in 1978.

Sorry, just HAD to be a smartass. Again. :lol:

No problem, I was going by info from their bio at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame site that says:

http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/u2

"U2 formed in 1978 when drummer Larry Mullen posted a note on a bulletin board looking to form a band."

Even then, I didn't get it right and said '79 instead of '78. Either way, they didn't release a full length record until 1980's Boy. Still, they were formed in the 70s which would technically make them a 70s band.

No problem, I was going by info from their bio at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame site that says:

"U2 formed in 1978 when drummer Larry Mullen posted a note on a bulletin board looking to form a band."

Even then, I didn't get it right and said '79 instead of '78. Either way, they didn't release a full length record until 1980's Boy. Still, they were formed in the 70s which would technically make them a 70s band.

Must ask you this then. Led Zeppelin was formed in the 60s but nobody really looks at them like a 60s band. They are usually considered a 70s band. Agree or not???

Yes, their first full album, and first release PERIOD in the US was "Boy". Prior to that they released in Ireland in 1979 the "U23" EP, with primitive takes of "Out Of Control", "Stories For Boys" (which were released on "Boy") and "Boy/Girl". Very interesting, but downright primitive in comparison. One other single was released in 1979 in Ireland, "Another Day/Twilight". "Twilight" was also a very primitive take on the "Boy" version, and was originally recorded in 1978 as a demo.

Interesting stuff. If you're a U2 fan it's great to have, as you get to hear the band grow up musically.

As you can tell, I just might like U2 a little. :lol:

Must ask you this then. Led Zeppelin was formed in the 60s but nobody really looks at them like a 60s band. They are usually considered a 70s band. Agree or not???

They didn't become popular on a grand scale until early 1970. And the vast part of their output was in the 70's. That's typically where people make the distinction.

They didn't become popular on a grand scale until early 1970. And the vast part of their output was in the 70's. That's typically where people make the distinction.

I certainly agree that they are a true 70s band. The Stones probably have to be placed into two categores. The Brian Jones era has to of course be 60s. But after his tragic departure I would say they are probably thought of more as a 70s band in some ways. Do you agree?

I certainly agree that they are a true 70s band. The Stones probably have to be placed into two categores. The Brian Jones era has to of course be 60s. But after his tragic departure I would say they are probably thought of more as a 70s band in some ways. Do you agree?

The Stones are unusual in the fact that they had HUGE hits in the 60's AND 70's. Plus they started releasing records in late 1963. So with that said, they were a band of the 60's and 70's, equally so.

The Stones are unusual in the fact that they had HUGE hits in the 60's AND 70's. Plus they started releasing records in late 1963. So with that said, they were a band of the 60's and 70's, equally so.

And 80s. Start Me Up?

I wouldn't say nobody. They released two albums in the 60s so I'd be hard pressed to try to pin them to any one decade but yes, most casual fans probably think of them as a 70s band.

Van Halen. I don't care if they formed in the 70s, they were 80s before the 80s.

Perhaps but their sound is just as rooted in the 70s as it is the 80s. In other words their songs don't sound at all out of place when juxtaposed against other artists from the 70s. The "hair metal" aspect aside, there were much more "80s sounding" bands in the late 70s than Van Halen such as the Cars and the Police for instance.

If I remember correctly Richard Cole says it was Pagey who coined that phrase of 'Jethro Dull' and 'Bore 'em at the Forum'. Actually he was supposed to have said that really early in the career of Led Zeppelin, and I'm not sure Barriemore Barlow had joined Tull then. Barlow's obviously a great drummer. But then, Clive Bunker was very good too - a different style. And Tull weren't dull. :D

If I remember correctly Richard Cole says it was Pagey who coined that phrase of 'Jethro Dull' and 'Bore 'em at the Forum'. Actually he was supposed to have said that really early in the career of Led Zeppelin, and I'm not sure Barriemore Barlow had joined Tull then. Barlow's obviously a great drummer. But then, Clive Bunker was very good too - a different style. And Tull weren't dull. :D

You remember correctly. And I nicked it for my personal use when discussing the band. :lol:

But hell, they're just not my cup of tea. Oh well, we can't like everything, right?

U2 was actually formed officially in 1977 (the prototype band "Feedback" goes as far back as '76), and started recording demos (which I have) in 1978.

Sorry, just HAD to be a smartass. Again. :lol:

Not a prob thats why I didn't count them as a band formed in the 80's, I think they are the only band in the last 25 years who could lay claim to be moving into the hierarchy of Zeppelin,Who and the Beatles !! but hey i would say if we are allowing them tas a 80's bnad then yes almost my fave !!

Never a popular choice with the elitists, but Def Leppard is one of my favorite 80's bands. Say what you want, Pyromania and Hysteria are GREAT albums.

Again a band not formed in the 80's !! <_<:rolleyes:

Never a popular choice with the elitists, but Def Leppard is one of my favorite 80's bands. Say what you want, Pyromania and Hysteria are GREAT albums.

Pyromania most definitely, tho Hysteria was too sugar pop for my taste. What did you think of High N Dry? I've always thought that was their best album.

I don't take the topic to mean "favorite band formed in the 80's". It's simply "favorite 80's band". I interpret that to mean a band that had it's greatest success in the 80's, or is synonymous with the 80's. Leppard formed in the 70's, but their debut album was released in 1980. And their biggest albums were in the 80's, with 2 Diamond-selling albums (10 million sold in the US).

I don't take the topic to mean "favorite band formed in the 80's". It's simply "favorite 80's band". I interpret that to mean a band that had it's greatest success in the 80's, or is synonymous with the 80's. Leppard formed in the 70's, but their debut album was released in 1980. And their biggest albums were in the 80's, with 2 Diamond-selling albums (10 million sold in the US).

Aghh ok !! well my fave Leppard album is Slang, from the 90's, it was unlike any other Leppard album, gone was the surgery pop and this was a decent album !! :) ok not 80's so off topic <_<

Archived