The 80's...

eagle87

Damn! Forgot em! :o

I didn't! :D:lol:

I should have mentioned an Icelandic band though, called Þeyr.... They started in 1980 if I remember correctly and released their first album in that year, but it was in the spring of 1981 - when within the space of a few weeks the Icelandic rock scene suddenly exploded after having been nearly dead for a time - that they started afresh in a way, as an incredibly original new wave-ish outfit - also unusual because of the excellent quality of the musicianship right from the outset. Sigtryggur Baldursson, later in the pop band The Sugarcubes, was drumming like nobody else did; the guitars of Þorsteinn Magnússon and Hilmar Örn were first-rate; the vocals, while perhaps not exhibiting as much obvious and stunning talent, still were good, fitted in nicely, and never clichéd (Magnús). They were constantly evolving, never stagnant, and more importantly, never disappointing. They finally stopped playing in 1984 or 1985 I think it was, but remain one of the best bands this country has ever had. There is a MySpace page for the band.

There were other damn good bands around here in those days, like Purrkur Pillnikk (Einar Örn in the Sugarcubes was their lead singer) and Vonbrigði - they released a great album in about 1983 called Kakófónía (yep, that means 'Cacophony').

Hey, early U2 is pretty cool!

Their first 4 studio albums (and the live EP) are pretty faultless.

They got mega-popular (and more boring) afterwards.

For me it different, once the did The Joshua Tree they got good in my opinion and the early stuff no thanks, but thats me !!

Duran Duran

U2

R.E.M.

The Pretenders

The Clash

The Police

Gun's and Roses

New Edition

Ready For The World

The Gap Band

Kool and The Gang

Queen

Hall and Oates

Chicago

Journey

Foreigner

Simple Minds

Simply Red

INXS

Expose

J. Geils Band

Toto

10,000 Maniacs

The Bangles

The Go Go's

Tears for Fears

Depeche Mode

S.O.S Band

Human League

Debarge

I know there are more, but this is all I can think of right now. B)

Hey, early U2 is pretty cool!

Their first 4 studio albums (and the live EP) are pretty faultless.

They got mega-popular (and more boring) afterwards.

I still preffer the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby to the early stuff personally, Eno's presense helped alot IMHO.

This looks really complicated lets see did they form in the 70's but became popular in the 80's or did they form in the 80's and werent popular until the 90's ?Oh I give up!

This looks really complicated lets see did they form in the 70's but became popular in the 80's

No is not because you just said it: form in the 70's but became popular in the 80's and form in the 80's too.

That's way: (first post)

So what is your favourite band from the 80's?...

for me: Aerosmith, Guns & Roses and some Van Halen...

Yeah, Dave was in Victims as well. Hoodoo Gurus was great too.

There's a myspace page for Victims Right Here

Listen to Television Addict, I love that song. It's been covered by The Hellacopters, if you've heard of them. Victims is straight "'77 punk", not far from The Damned and Buzzcocks.

There are a lot of Austrailan bands that I like, Radio Birdman, Stems, The Master's Apprentices and, of course, Easybeats! :D

I have a 60's comp called "Ugly Things" with a bunch of obscure bands too, really great stuff!

I met Deniz Tek and Rob Younger of RADIO BIRDMAN last year after a gig.....awesome guys I tell ya.....their gig rocked me and my g-friend out for days.....YOU GOTTA listen to Zeno Beach their latest album.....KICK ASS!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=86839747

I met Deniz Tek and Rob Younger of RADIO BIRDMAN last year after a gig.....awesome guys I tell ya.....their gig rocked me and my g-friend out for days.....YOU GOTTA listen to Zeno Beach their latest album.....KICK ASS!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=86839747

Radio Birdman is great, but I haven't heard any of the new stuff.

the 80s for me is the crue and van halen

The 80s for me is when my tastes began to shift away from hard rock to reggae and artists such as R.E.M., U2, the Alarm, the Cure, 10000 Maniacs, the Replacements, Los Lobos, Lone Justice, Guadalcanal Diary, etc. all artists that were much more popular on college radio at the time and would, like it or not, later help give birth to the "alternative" movement.

• 2 years later...

The Firm :)

The Honeydrippers :)

The Scorpions

Van Halen

Journey

Heart

The Cure

The Violent Femmes

Siouxsie and the Banshees

The Cult

REM

U2

The Police

The Smiths

10,000 Maniacs

UB40

The Bangles

Haircut 100

Ministry

Madness

Psychedelic Furs

Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam

Cameo

LOVED Janet Jackson back in the "Control" days

Howard Jones

And lots of local bands.

Starbreaker, I thought The Priest were at their best in the 70s. If Stained Class had had a better production, that would have been a landmark METAL album. It kicks seven shades of shit out of British Steel, IMO.

For me, it was Diamond Head - 'the natural successors to Led Zeppelin', as they themselves once modestly claimed.

Oh, and in an entirely different vein, Propaganda. Has a better song than 'Duel' ever been recorded? No.

Starbreaker, I thought The Priest were at their best in the 70s. If Stained Class had had a better production, that would have been a landmark METAL album. It kicks seven shades of shit out of British Steel, IMO.

For me, it was Diamond Head - 'the natural successors to Led Zeppelin', as they themselves once modestly claimed.

I agree with you about 70's Judas Priest, amazing stuff. I think the reason that Unleashed in the East is my favorite record is because it features a bunch of ass-kicking songs on Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, and Stain Class, but with the production they got on the recoreds in the 80's. That is a tough one between British Steel & Stained Class though.

Forgot about Diamond Head. They were in fact good enough to be the true heirs to Zeppelin, but just never took off. Such a shame :(

Starbreaker, there is something very, very special about The Priest. I was insanely into Unleashed when I saw them at the first ever Donington show in 1980. It was totally captivating, and in many ways I enjoyed it more than seeing Zep in 79 (blasphemy!). Then again on the Painkiller tour, and again in 2005.....they are a COLOSSAL live band, and if push came to shove I'd say Halford is the quintessential rock front-man, rivalled only by Diamond Dave.

Archived